• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

He Runs That Mickey Mouse Outfit - New York Times, 3/4/07

A lengthy article in Sunday's New York Times interviewing John Lasseter...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/mo...ts&oref=slogin

Toy Story Mania is a video-game-style attraction designed by Disney in which riders seated in moving cars earn points when they shoot targets on a 3D screen. Mr. Lasseter climbed into a makeshift seat propped up on a plywood platform and hunkered down, ready for a test run. As the design team yelled, “Go! Go! Go!,” he concentrated, his tongue darting out the side of his mouth while his finger quickly grazed the trigger.

“I got a little confused as to which color was mine,” said Mr. Lasseter as he climbed out of his seat after earning 32,500 points, 1,700 more than his opponent. When one executive suggested rewarding high scorers by having a treat like an ice cream cone or a cookie show up onscreen, he said, “I have a diabetic son, and I don’t think we want to give food as a reward.”

But what concerned him more was when he was told that an outsider had been hired to animate some of the characters on the screen, including Woody.

“Are we making the right decision to have the characters animated by another company?” he asked the game’s designer, Sue Bryan. “I’m not comfortable with these people animating the characters, especially if we are dealing with Buzz Lightyear and that clear helmet and the reflection. We want to that to be right.”

“We’ve got the groundwork laid,” she replied.

Mr. Lasseter remained firm. He instructed a Pixar colleague, Roger Gould, to talk to the outside company. “I really want to control quality,” he said. “I don’t want outsiders rendering the characters.”
    Much more at the link...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Merry 2014!

Re: He Runs That Mickey Mouse Outfit - New York Times, 3/4/07

Go, John, Go! Thank goodness somebody with power is interested in quality and detail in the house of mouse. Now if we could just clone him or Matt Ouimet . . .
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

Big Article about John Lasseter in the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/mo...=1&oref=slogin

March 4, 2007
    Film
    He Runs That Mickey Mouse Outfit

By LAURA M. HOLSON
    BURBANK, Calif.

IT wasn’t the first time John Lasseter, the director of “Toy Story” and “Cars,” had sat through the screening of a not-quite-ready animated film. But when he saw an early cut of Disney’s “Meet the Robinsons” last March, he watched it with a new eye. He wasn’t just a fellow director, and a founder of Pixar Animation Studios. This time he was the boss, the chief creative officer of animation for the Walt Disney Company, which had agreed to acquire Pixar two months before.

As he sat in a dark theater on the first floor of Disney’s animation studio here, something bothered him about the villain. Almost all of Pixar’s animated movies had an evil foil. In “Toy Story” Buzz Lightyear and Woody escaped a cruel neighborhood bully. In “A Bug’s Life” an ant saved his colony from a menacing grasshopper and his thuggish crew. By contrast the lanky villain in “Robinsons,” the story of an orphan who builds a time machine in order to find his mother, was neither threatening enough nor scary.

After the screening Mr. Lasseter and his colleagues from Pixar and Disney met with the director, Stephen Anderson, and told him so. For six hours.

Ten months later Mr. Lasseter was back in the screening room, watching Mr. Anderson’s new version of “Meet the Robinsons,” which is set for release on March 30. Nearly 60 percent of the original film had been cut. A diabolical sidekick had been added. And in one thrilling scene the orphan, Lewis, is chased by an oversize dinosaur. Later, when asked about the movie’s ending, Mr. Lasseter’s rubbery smile turned upside down and he pretended to cry.

“The audience is going to be sobbing,” he said, dragging his index fingers down his cheeks. “It is really going to get them.”

A Hollywood outsider whose independent shop popularized computer animation, Mr. Lasseter, 50, might seem an odd fit for a studio built on old-school cartoons and the mythology of Snow White and Cinderella. But since Pixar was acquired, Mr. Lasseter has been heralded as a latter-day Walt Disney, a cultural arbiter who can rekindle the spirit of Disney’s famous animation at its theme parks, on store shelves and in a theater near you.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Big Article about John Lasseter in the New York Times

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com