Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Why Disney won't re-release ''Song of the South'' from its vaults -3/4/07

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...457&ran=240789

Alone among the great Disney features, "Song of the South" has never been released on videotape or DVD in the United States and hasn't been screened in a stateside theater since 1986.

Despite Academy Awards, groundbreaking technology, a black leading man and a script that often turns racial stereotypes on their head, the 1946 movie has been damned as an embarrassing throwback, a whitewash, the racist skeleton in Disney's film vault.

Brode said he can appreciate the company's worries about the film's reputed racism - "which is not to say I believe it is racist, because I don't."

It could be, he said, that as foreign copies of the movie trickle into the United States, people will come to see this "very great film" for its intentions, rather than its flaws.

But if that happens, it's years away. For now, Brode said, he's frustrated by what he considers far more troubling images of blacks in film.

"I can't believe 'Gone With the Wind' is shown on television today," he said. "I can't watch it.

"That people would think 'Song of the South' is racist and would have no problem with 'Gone With the Wind' is just bizarre."
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Helmsdad

Re: Why Disney won't re-release ''Song of the South'' from its vaults -3/4/07

It's difficult to understand how they can have an entire ride based on a film that they won't show because...?..What? They don't agree with it? That has got to be one of the strangest ironies. They have a RIDE but the actual movie is somehow inappropriate!?

I have the movie as I'm sure anyone who wants it does. It's not hard to get at all. I don't know what Disney thinks they are accomplishing but continuing this absurd policy. We love Uncle Remus.

Thanks for the updates Darkbeer.
    P.S. Keep the great pictures coming! We love them.

•   
    • Minion

I actually, I can't sit through Gone With the Wind either... But for other reasons....
    Check out my other blog:

They have a RIDE but the actual movie is somehow inappropriate!?
    Just you wait. They'll "fix" that eventually, too, just like they "fixed" Pirates' politically incorrect depictions of exploitation of women.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

It's assinine for Eisner and now Iger too be fearful and
    ashamed of the place of "Song of the South" in Disney
    history, and it's importance in the entire history in ALL
    of movie making. It's truly unjust for Disney to deny
    viewing of this movie, even on youtube, if they refuse
    to release it themselves.

By censoring this movie, especially when it has been
    released so many times in the past, They (disney)
    at this late date, by refusing to re-release it, should
    be considered as giving up all right to it, and Song
    of the South should be considered Public Domain.

I agree with his sentiments. As much as I love 'Gone with the Wind', even I always get a laugh out of the scene where one of Scarlett's slaves tells her of Sherman's March, "Don't worry, Miss Scarlett. We'll stop 'em!" Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhtttttt.

Is it really that hard to simply view the film as a product of it's time and not think that it advocates racism in the modern age? It's a classic that deserves recognition for it's strengthes, not derision for it's weaknesses.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The whole controversy over "Song Of The South" reappears from time to time here. I dunno. It's a really entertaining film and the most sympathetic and "aware" character in it is Uncle Remus. Just because he is happy with his lot, however, is sometimes viewed as racist.

We live in a world where the most heinous thing that can happen to an individual is to be offended... and everybody is just itching to be offended by something.

Let "Song Of The South" slumber a few more years. Perhaps, someday, we'll all be able to "breathe in, breathe out and move on."*

*...acknowledgement to Jimmie Buffet for this line.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• insufferable know-it-all

Oh goody, I haven't gotten to use this in a while:

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

This is a cheesy reason why not to re-release it. They show racist movies on public cable TV.

• For You!

Well, until then, You can get the dvd off ebay for around $150.00 - there's obviously a desire to see the movie!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Well, until then, You can get the dvd off ebay for around $150.00 - there's obviously a desire to see the movie!
    Bought mine for $29.99.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

what i find odd is universal studios released a straight to dvd version of the song of the south last year called the adventures of brer rabbit with many big names such as wayne brady, danny glover and wanda sykes. so if universal can release a version why cant disney put out the original

• FastPass n00b

Here's a laundry list for Disney and their decision:

Ignorant
    Foolish
    Saddening
    Gutless
    Stupid

...and after I started having more faith in Iger.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Looks like people will have to continue getting it from other sources since Disney doesn't want to give into the customers demands here. It's unfortunate, but true.

• Fastest Man Alive

I agree with Disney's stance. I haven't seen Song of the South, but I'm guessing the racism is fairly mild. However, that really is irrelevant, since Disney by it's very nature of having its 'squeaky clean' image is the biggest target in media and the amount of money lost over bad PR would trump any money that would be made over the sale of the DVD.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast