Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shareholder Mtg March 8, 2007 New Orleans

Anyone attending the Annual Shareholder Meeting of The Walt Disney Company, Thursday, March 8, 2007 10 am Central (11 am Eastern, 9 am Pacific, 4 pm London) in New Orleans, Louisiana at the Ernest Morial Convention Center downtown?

My husband Rich Koster and I will be there. We live in the area, very excited that Disney has chosen our metro area for the meeting and put a spotlight on post-Katrina rebuilding and business, tourism and convention activity of the city. With so many in the international and national business press sure to be there, the positive publicity can only help New Orleans.

If you cannot be there, you can listen to a live webcast online, and the recording of the audio webcast will stay up for a few days in case you miss it.

CNBC on cable/satellite will have coverage early morning into the afternoon. Bloomberg Television will have a telecast Thursday, March 8, Noon Eastern, 11 am Central, 9 am Pacific, 5 pm London. Check your cable/satellite listings for channel number and "stay tuned" 'til you see news.

Wall Street Journal and other business publications will have coverage, as will Marketwatch.com online and you can always do Google News Advanced Search on Friday for reportage.

If anyone from MiceAge.com will be there, I hope to see you there!

If you've attended an Annual Shareholder meeting before, rather than just listen online, we'd appreciate knowing what to expect. We've actively listened to the webcasts since the 2004 meeting in Philadelphia when the SaveDisney.com effort to oust Michael Eisner was going on. We know what the audio webcasts are like, but not what it's like to be there in person. Someone said to us there is a store (?) and also that there is a videocast online as well as an audio cast. Any details, let us know.

Otherwise welcome to New Orleans to Disney and Disney fans and shareholders who'll be attending this year's meeting! We looking forward to being there Thursday morning!

• Banned User

Re: Shareholder Mtg March 8, 2007 New Orleans

i will be listening / watching from work... that is if i can break into their internet

• Lonestar Louisianian

<sigh> So close and yet so far....

Having just been there a couple of weeks ago for Mardi Gras and going back in May to fish, I just can't swing the time for this meeting. I mean, I gotta work sometime!

It's a pity though as this is the closest the meeting has come to where I am and I cannot attend. Let us know how it was Carol. It'd be nice to hear a firsthand account of the meeting from someone who's new in attendance.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Wish I could be there. Have a great time and tell us about it when you can!

• Banned User

i think BEC's announcement of Aquatica will tie me over till Thursday...

•   
    • Minion

Represent...

And deliver us some of the good dish, will ya!
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

If you get a chance to ask questions..ask whats going on with Peoplemover and upgrading Star Tours! Oh and ask about Roger Rabbit!

Demand to know why all the toilet paper in Disney theme parks and hotels...is only slightly better than #2 Grade sandpaper. Don't take this sitting down! Let them see you flush with anger! Get to the bottom of this travesty and don't let them wipe it under the rug!

Thanks, all!

Rich operates the Disney Echo fan site, and we'll post to that and provide links.

I already have a question in mind to ask if so fortunate as to get up to the microphone during questions and answers.

The toilet paper question sounds like an interesting issue... er, ah, tissue.... Heh heh heh... to ask about. But sorry no, that won't be my question to the Disney folks there. If I ask about the TP they might get "rough" on me in return. Roll me out the door. Wad me up, flush me out. Paper me with muzzling. No more puns... Gotta "run" from this one.. Go with the "flow" to something else now.

We're more familiar with the Orlando park, Peoplemover over there is called Tomorrowland Transit Authority. I agree with updating Star Tours, if the Disneyland version is anything like the D-MGM version it's 'way past high time for an update! Longing to head back to Disneyland, though, someday, the park where Walt walked. Our last visit was in February 1995, pre-Pressler-Harriss era, for an Official Disneyana Convention for the 40th anniversary and the pre-opening of the Indiana Jones attraction there. Would luv to see it again!

Nopers, I got a question in mind... But like Captain Jack Sparrow I'll keep it close to the vest for now.

Be listening on Thursday!

And if anyone's been there/done that (Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Anaheim, other places) and have any head's up or pointers "what to expect", let me know. All I know is listening to the webcasts and having been to the old Official Disneyana Conventions. I understand there are character meet and greets, that'll be fun. Anything else to know?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by CarolKoster; 03-06-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add some lines.

• Rock Star Minion

Expect some crotchety, old gadfly with one share of stock and some sense of entitlement to waste an inordinate amount of time on little details that don't make any sense to anyone except that person.

And as the old saying goes, if you don't see this person,....

Enjoy! I'll try to listen to the podcast eventually.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Such rich Disney history in New Orleans.

Perhaps the most significant influence occurred in 1946, during a trip to New Orleans. While visiting an antique shop in the old French Quarter, Walt bought a mechanical, musical "wind-up" bird. He brought it back to his machine shop and asked his machinist Roger Broggie to figure out how it worked. Walt was already starting to think about transforming his two dimensional animation into a brand new three dimensional art form.
    And to think...it was all started by a Beignet.

And then there was just the fun side of New Orleans that Walt loved so much, and which inspired him to create his own version in Anaheim. Part of that fun was jazz, and of course New Orleans' many "watering holes."

Stories indicate that the very popular and GREAT Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop...which is a fantastic hole-in-the-wall bar in the French Quarter...was a fairly regular "haunt" of Walt's. Walt and Lilly hung out here at the piano on many a night, including their many trips to New Orleans to purchase antiques for Club 33 from the many and famous antique shops on Royal Street (which is where the street the Club resides got it's name).

Another favorite bar of Walt's in NOLA was the Famous Door, which was known for placing the names of all the famous personalities that ever visited it, on it's front door (of course Walt's was added after his first visit).

A third bar you could find Walt and the gang hanging out at on his very last trips to New Orleans, was the famous Carousel Bar at the old Hotel Monteleone. I wonder why he liked that one so much?

Anyway, you can still visit all 3 today. With Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop and the Monteleone's Carousel Bar remaining almost exactly as they were when Walt enjoyed them.

Perhaps it all started with a Mint Julep, instead?

And then there's the story of Walt visiting a brothel in New Orleans that would have you in stitches...but perhaps best to leave that one for later.

• Lonestar Louisianian

Quote Originally Posted by CarolKoster View Post

Nopers, I got a question in mind... But like Captain Jack Sparrow I'll keep it close to the vest for now.

Be listening on Thursday!
    Heard you loud and clear Carol (and Rich too!). Thanks for representing the online Disney community. Great questions too! Hope y'all had fun. Looking forward to your first hand report of the whole meeting.

Thanks, NatdRat. Very kind of you, and yep, that's the query I wanted to pose, was about asking for the rerelease of "Song of the South" to home video.

I have writing to do! But RichKoster my dear husband and I are back from the meeting. Great time!

The Annual Shareholders Meeting of The Walt Disney Company, March 8, 2007, New Orleans, Louisiana, can be listened to online at THIS LINK, only through March 22, 2007. Length: Two hours and 15-minutes. It will be maddening when they blank out the proprietary, intellectual property, parts, but just hang in there. The Questions and Answers period usually does make it's way through, and you can in fact learn about Disney from this meeting. Simply click on the option about the Shareholder Meeting (more than one audio choice is given) and take it from there.
    Last edited by CarolKoster; 03-09-2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Add a single line at the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast