Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Someone went crazy at the shareholder meeting...

Interesting .

•   
    • Minion

Hmm, I wonder when the Catholic contingency will show up complaining about smoking/viloence/sex in films.... as usual...

The whole business meeting factor of the shareholder meeting is something that is a relivant question really... These meetings have become less and less about business and more and more about marketing to shareholders...

Carol has a valid gripe...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Hmm, I wonder when the Catholic contingency will show up complaining about smoking/viloence/sex in films.... as usual...

The whole business meeting factor of the shareholder meeting is something that is a relivant question really... These meetings have become less and less about business and more and more about marketing to shareholders...

I believe it was Evelyn Davis who had the gripe, not Carol.

• Minion

Is there anywhere I can listen to this? Or is it a "live only" sort of thing?

• Lonestar Louisianian

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Folly View Post
    Is there anywhere I can listen to this? Or is it a "live only" sort of thing?
    It will be available shortly at http://corporate.disney.go.com/inves...entations.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Great coverage!

Bravo Carol! . . . and Bravo Bob Iger for listening!

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. Shareholders don't run the company. The "business" portion of the meeting is basically, "Vote in person (or you could have simply voted via mail) on this and that proposal." Done.
    Evelyn doesn't think she's entertaining? Well, to some she is. Therefore, by her own complaint, she should contain her entertatining abilities during the meeting. And STFU.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Meh. Shareholders don't run the company. The "business" portion of the meeting is basically, "Vote in person (or you could have simply voted via mail) on this and that proposal." Done.
    Evelyn doesn't think she's entertaining? Well, to some she is. Therefore, by her own complaint, she should contain her entertatining abilities during the meeting. And STFU.
    Nice...
    Not only entertaining, but very much a distraction from proceeding with the business at hand.

My husband Rich and I are back now. What an afterglow! Fun stuff!

I'll post my notes or whatever mainly in the shareholder meeting existing thread.

But this thread is about Evelyn Davis.

I've listened to her on webcasts of Disney shareholder meetings since 2004. Now I got to see her in action and in person.

Wow, what fireworks!

Apparently, she is an active shareholder who attends as many as 80 stockholder meetings of the various companies she owns stock in yearly. This is her life. She wore a coat, and had earphones on that resemble old-time head phones. I'm told she has a hard time hearing, and this device assists her. Now, not everyone can be, or should be, happy with how Disney conducts it's business or it's stockholder affairs or the stock for shareholder value. Granted. But there are ways to get this across, and there are ways... If she's that experienced, she can make her points (some of which actually are valid) in a more rational to-the-point way. The hostility in the room was palpable. Yet they respectfully allowed her to speak. Amazing restraint going on! Perhaps you could hear some in attendance jeering her.

Elderly stockholders cannot go on line, that is a fact, and they want to traditional ways of communicating with shareholders to be maintained, and I think they have a valid point. The issues of Hugo Chavez, Venezuelan politics, Citgo oil, and national security are valid. Their relevance to a Walt Disney Shareholder Meeting should be articulated, however. Disney shareholder meetings hae the same presentation format yearly, and they do not deviate. She should know by now Disney does things at their shareholder meetings thus and so. If Ms. Davis doesn't care for it, stay home and listen to the webcast or sell the stock and have nothing to do with Disney anymore. I wonder if she attends Disney movies, has ever owned a Mickey Mouse anything, has ever visited the parks, and if she's ever seen the children's faces light up when they meet a beloved Disney character.

Mrs. Davis was "over the top" this year in her expressing opinions, but it's to Disney's credit they tolerated it as much as they did.

Darkbeer, in the years we'd listen to the Disney Shareholder Meeting and also type in IRC about it live, I honestly never thought I'd ever attend one of these things. I remember you've been online with us, chatting.... heckling with us on IRC. So sit's great to see you posting here, and thank you so much for the nice words, everyone the nice words, about "Song of the South" which I chose to bring up. I'll post about it in the existing Stockholder Meeting Topic in this Forum. But you are kind, and we're all in the Disney online thing together, it was great to be at the meeting and just a single chance at the microphone, to voice one concern fans do have about Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolKoster View Post
    My husband Rich and I are back now. What an afterglow! Fun stuff!

I'll post my notes or whatever mainly in the shareholder meeting existing thread.

But this thread is about Evelyn Davis.

I've listened to her on webcasts of Disney shareholder meetings since 2004. Now I got to see her in action and in person.

Wow, what fireworks!

Apparently, she is an active shareholder who attends as many as 80 stockholder meetings of the various companies she owns stock in yearly. This is her life. She wore a coat, and had earphones on that resemble old-time head phones. I'm told she has a hard time hearing, and this device assists her. Now, not everyone can be, or should be, happy with how Disney conducts it's business or it's stockholder affairs or the stock for shareholder value. Granted. But there are ways to get this across, and there are ways... If she's that experienced, she can make her points (some of which actually are valid) in a more rational to-the-point way. The hostility in the room was palpable. Yet they respectfully allowed her to speak. Amazing restraint going on! Perhaps you could hear some in attendance jeering her.

Elderly stockholders cannot go on line, that is a fact, and they want to traditional ways of communicating with shareholders to be maintained, and I think they have a valid point. The issues of Hugo Chavez, Venezuelan politics, Citgo oil, and national security are valid. Their relevance to a Walt Disney Shareholder Meeting should be articulated, however. Disney shareholder meetings hae the same presentation format yearly, and they do not deviate. She should know by now Disney does things at their shareholder meetings thus and so. If Ms. Davis doesn't care for it, stay home and listen to the webcast or sell the stock and have nothing to do with Disney anymore. I wonder if she attends Disney movies, has ever owned a Mickey Mouse anything, has ever visited the parks, and if she's ever seen the children's faces light up when they meet a beloved Disney character.

Mrs. Davis was "over the top" this year in her expressing opinions, but it's to Disney's credit they tolerated it as much as they did.
    Thank you for the post, and great job today!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Thank you Carol
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    I believe it was Evelyn Davis who had the gripe, not Carol.
    Sorry, Carol, I miss read an earler post... I don't have a lot of time durring the day...
    Check out my other blog:

Well, as a Catholic and as one who's listened to the shareholder meeting webcasts since 2004:

Yes it's marketing to shareholders, but... It's an entertainment company, after all. And they do preview the future, and celebrate the successes of the past. Why not stoke your shareholder base?

The previews and discussion of past performance and future projects are a usual and customary part of the Annual Shareholder's Meeting that I can recall since becoming interested in it in 2004. I want to know that the company has some good projects coming up, and hear what they say about it. Trust me, the 2004 meeting was much longer, due to the nature of the controversies of Michael Eisner's leadership as CEO at that time. This one by comparison was more focused and highly limited.

I had no control over those who went to the mic to speak. It did cross my mind to praise Disney for not doing movies (at Miramax) which disparages people of faith. But I decided instead to mention my little issues and comments (praise that Jerry Bruckheimer followed through with filming "Deja Vu" in the city post-Katrina, the reality is that other filmmakers with projects in the state either bailed out or relocated to other parts of the state to keep working; and praise for "The path to 9/11" which I enjoyed viewing and admired the courage to continue with the telecast despite controversy, and to tie in that courage of conviction to bringing out "Song of the South").

If you've listened to the webcasts before, a couple of entities routinely speak at some point, either in points for shareholders to vote on or in the Q & A. One of those is the anti-smoking in films group, always is there. A child advocacy person spoke first in Q & A and praised Disney for it's family fare on mass media.

You have to take steps back, and see the Q & A as a single shot opportunity to reach the CEO and the Board. People simply brought up what was on their mind. Let it roll off. In past years people have gone to the mic and brought up their concerns, which when I listened maybe were far from my concerns or seemed "trivial", yet it's an open forum. The Disney executives and management and Board were gracious about listening to it. They did a lot of "sucking it in" today, mostly from Evelyn Davis. They extended the same graciousness and fairness to all who came up the the mic, and they do this year after year. It is how they do this format, and it is Disney culture to be this gracious. In the balance of the longer course of time, someone will step up to the mic and voice a concern somone else in Disney fandom will have, and someone else again will voice a trivial thing, or an issue someone else doesn't see as an issue, or from a point of view someone may not share. So take steps back.

It all has a way of evening out in the end.

No offense taken that the names got mixed up when you posted.

You can listen to the webcast online for a few days. They leave it up for a little while. If you missed parts of the meeting due to other necessary things to do just log back on and you can hear a replay.
    Last edited by CarolKoster; 03-08-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add three lines at the end to the person I responded to.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CarolKoster View Post
    Well, as a Catholic and as one who's listened to the shareholder meeting webcasts since 2004:
    I was thinking about the holy orders groups that attend the shareholder meetings... usually there are a group of those who are in holy orders who have grevences and want to make the points with the previous director, who was a Catholic Priest whose name escapes me at the moment... He since been cycled off the board...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast