View Poll Results: Have you seen the 300? If so, please vote in the poll below.

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** - Fantastic

16 69.57%
  • **** - Good

7 30.43%
  • *** - Average

0 0%
  • ** - Sub-Par

0 0%
  • * - Avoid

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 thread

• Shablagoo!

300 thread

300 comes out tomorrow. As a comicbook geek this has been one of the films I have been looking forward to for awhile. I'm going to see it later tonight. So here's a thread to talk about it. I'll give a review when I get home afterwards.

• Ok time for cocoa

Re: 300 thread

Ok, I would like to hear what you have to say. Looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

• is on the rocks

Looking forward to hearing about it - DH and I are both intrigued and want to see it.
    She did it!

• Knight that says Nee!!

Me and a bunch of friends from work are going to see it tomorrow afternoon. I'll be reviewing it on my Rotten Tomatoes page.

• Shablagoo!

I just got back from 300 and here is the review I promised.

Spoiler Free version:
    I liked it a lot, good acting, great story, well shot. I didn’t care too much for the Queen subplot, and they removed a few things from the original graphic novel, but nothing that really hurt it. Oh and in case you could not tell from trailers, it was not entirely historically accurate.

Expanded review with some spoilers.

Spoiler

I want to talk about the movie as an adaptation of the original graphic novel. For the most part everything is there. The order of somethings change, but it does not hurt the story. I missed the "Stumblios" subplot and Dilios telling his stories. I especially missed Dilios telling his tales, because to me that is what sets up why he lives. We are told at the end of the movie that he is a great weaver of tales, but we are not shown it, beyond his being the narrator. I loved David Wenham (Faramir in the Lord of the Ring films) in the role. However, like I said in the spoiler free version, neither of these things especially hurt the film as a film, just as an adaptation.

For those who have not read the book everything that happens to Queen Gorgo after the 300 leave is a fabrication of the movie, not something in the book. Whether or not it is historically accurate I cannot speak to. To some extent I feel it is a result of the expanded Arwen role in the Lord of the Rings films. I felt her scenes talking to the council and dealing with politics was a bit dull. It wasn’t awful, but had it not been there I wouldn’t have missed it.

The Battle scenes are brutal, spears poking out of people, limbs being cut off, lots of gory wounds. I point this out so people who do not like this stuff will be aware. Granted if you watch the trailers, you can assume that stuff, but I wanted to point it out. The battles are well shot and exciting.

There is nudity. Just thought you’d like to know.

I’ve already mentioned David Wenham’s performance, but the whole cast does well. Gerard Butler as King Leonidas is excellent in every scene. Rodrigo Santoro disappears into Xerxes. I have looked at pictures of him and can’t believe they are the same person. All the actors make their characters breathe.

Costumes are terrific. The digital sets help bring a comicbook feel to the screen, much like they did in Sin City. I also really liked the end credits with the Frank Miller style graphics and how the credit font is the same as the font in the comic.

Overall is a good adaptation and a great movie.

• my two sunshines

My daughter, who works in a movie theater - is really looking forward to seeing this - and of course she'll take her breaks and make plans to work in the theatre thats showing this movie.

She wants me to go to it BUT I can't - I think it would be unbearable for me to see Gerrard Butler looking so fine in this movie - it would just be too much for me - so I need to wait until it comes out on DVD so I can watch it in pieces from home. It's too much for this heart! LOL - and after reading the review above - can't handle the nudity! ROTFL

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Ive been waitin for this movie since I saw the preview for it at the Comic-Con pannel last year in San Diego. Its gonna be great

• Circle of Ancients

I'd love to see this. We don't have the kids tomorrow night, but I know it's a movie that Kristi would HATE.

So it'll have to wait for DVD.

• out & about

Aside from the rather surprisingly sensitive story I was intrigued by the look and feel of the movie. This type of highly stylized filmography is exactly the kind of artistic acheivement that film makers should be responsoble for. The editing and special effects arent done for their own sake but for the purpose of truely enhancing the experience by pulling the viewer deeper into its world. The movie is visually stunning and beautiful. Not only the colors and sets but the costumes and people are cast with precision.

The story - Having never read the novel I entered with a clean slate of expectations not really hoping the movie live up to any preconceptions. Overall the story is strong and poignant... A tale of a man who, despite consequences, maintained his integrity and stood upto injustice for the freedom of his people. Some happy endings arent realized for generations...

I highly reccommend this film but be cautious of the rampant violence and gore and several scenes of nudity.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• my two sunshines

My daughter who works in the theatre came home and told me that she saw the last hour of the movie - she said it was really really really good, very sad - Gerard Butler is what dreams are made for - she said that it was incredibly gory, decapitations, stakes through body parts, blood all over - there is a rape scene which is depicted rather realistic - BUT she said she will see the first hour tonight even with everything above - and this is my daughter who has Harry Potter all over her room!

• I'm with Mr. Big!

I saw 300 on Saturday night. I really enjoyed it. It had something for everyone. I got so enthralled in the story that I've been busy looking up information on the real battle of Termopalye (sp?). Go Spartans! That happens to be the mascot at San Jose State. I can just see clips of the movie in locker rooms before big games for years to come.
    "Can't sing but I've got soul." -U2

"I've got soul, but i'm not a soldier" -The Killers

• Banned User

My mom wants to see this movie just for Gerard Butler, guess who has to go with her. I hope it's good!

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

oh...

I thought we were talking about sheets...

• Minion

BEST. MOVIE. EVER.

Ok, not quite, but easily one of the best films I've seen in YEARS. I love epic films based on history, and I'm a sucker for ancient Greek and Roman culture. That having been said, I knew after seeing the first trailer last year that I was going to love this movie.

It was freaking fantastic. I just might go see it again! I liked how they added quotes that were really said during the actually war. All around fantastic film.

This movie may single handedly make me buy an HDTV and a Blu-Ray player to boot.

• Pirata del Caribe

I can´t wait!!!
    Here the movie will be shown after March 30 XD

Being a fan of The Phantom of the Opera, brillian Gerard Butler, in this movie he´s awesome.
    And David Wenham.

I have been waiting since I saw the first trailer, look awesome, and I lvoe epic movies...
    We don´t wanna be like you. Don´t you get that King of Fools?
    You're the blind to lead the blind.And I walk the wicked way!
    Uno, dos, ya viene por tí
    tres, cuatro, cierra la puerta,
    cinco, seis, mira el crucifijo
    siete, ocho, no duermas aún
    nueve, diez, nunca dormirás...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast