• Banned User

The Frog Princess already highly anticipated?

After seeing the images and summary of the movie at the Shareholder meeting, I am eagerly awaiting this film already. I can not wait to see how they animate it, choose the voice talent, and score it. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival already. How about you?

• Minion

Re: The Frog Princess already highly anticipated?

ORGOCH: Well, I'm eagerly waitin' 'round my OWN dang self! Nobody likes a mess a frog legs any more 'n I does! I say bring on the slimey ol' Frog leg Princess! Cain't help lickin' my chops just thinkin' 'bout her!!

• Former Epcot CM

I was actually about to start a thread saying how excited I am for this film before I saw this.

I mean, this film has so much going for it - yet that is also a bad thing as it has so many expectations already. However, lets stay positive

Apparently Alicia Keys contacted Dick Cook directly to let him know how desperate she was for the role - personally, I think her performance would be jaw-dropping. Shes a fantastic performer, and her voice is amazing. However, the other significant contender is that Jennifer girl (sorry she's not very famous in the UK) who won the Oscar for Dreamgirls - I think the Oscar will benefit her greatly.

Shame about Alan Menken and Glenn Slater being passed over for Randy Newman, but I can see why the decision was made, they are already doing Enchanted - another film which is looking awesome.

The first black Disney princess, in an interesting setting - the Jazz Age has always appealed to me and I would love to visit New Orleans. And of course, a return to the 2D Disney musicals of the 1930s-50s and 1980s-90s that make Disney Disney.

I cannot wait for The Frog Princess.

P.S. So when do the marketing execs at Disneyland start developing tie-ins with New Orleans Square? Out with the pirates, in with the princesses.
    Last edited by Speedway; 03-10-2007 at 01:59 PM.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Directly directed

I'm excited if only because it's real hand drawn animation.

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    After seeing the images and summary of the movie at the Shareholder meeting, I am eagerly awaiting this film already. I can not wait to see how they animate it, choose the voice talent, and score it. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival already. How about you?

I am terribly excited! And did you say Images??? Why haven't these been leaked yet? I must see them!
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• Banned User

i don't know if i would want to be the person directing this picture... so much is riding on this film. but i must admit I am intrigued so far. it will depend on how the annimation actually looks.

• Banned User

i don't know if i would want to be the person directing this picture... so much is riding on this film. but i must admit I am intrigued so far. it will depend on how the annimation actually looks.

• Minion

ORDDU: Orwen and I actually find it distasteful whenever Disney takes an ancient fairytale and drastically changes the time period for the purpose of creating a more 'updated' version. What's wrong with being faithful to the original time period?

ORWEN: So, we actually don't even care to see this movie. It's not going to have much to do with the original story--which is why we also didn't care for CHICKEN LITTLE. In that movie, they even gave Chicken Little a sex change of all things! Poor Henny Penny will never be the same!

ORDDU: Of course we recognize that Walt Disney, himself, made changes to classic stories. But these days it seems the story people for Disney are going way too far with their drastic changes. They might as well come up with more original titles for all their original ideas.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Orwen and I actually find it distasteful whenever Disney takes an ancient fairytale and drastically changes the time period for the purpose of creating a more 'updated' version. What's wrong with being faithful to the original time period?

ORWEN: So, we actually don't even care to see this movie. It's not going to have much to do with the original story--which is why we also didn't care for CHICKEN LITTLE. In that movie, they even gave Chicken Little a sex change of all things! Poor Henny Penny will never be the same!

ORDDU: Of course we recognize that Walt Disney, himself, made changes to classic stories. But these days it seems the story people for Disney are going way too far with their drastic changes. They might as well come up with more original titles for all their original ideas.
    I see what you mean. Looking back on it now, all Disney fairytale adaptations have been set around the time they were written. Maybe this was a result of Lasseter not wanting the public to feel Disney were being repetitive, which was the reason he introduced a different composer? I mean, most if not all Disney fairytale adaptations have been set in the 1700s-1800s, and in Europe. When I say fairytale, I mean Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast - classic French and German fairytales. The Frog Princess is another one of those, as is Rapunzel. Rapunzel looks set to be set in that period, and they will not be coming out much later than The Frog Princess. See what I mean?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post

I don't see that problem at all. First of all, the Frog Princess is not the same fable as the Frog Prince. Second of all, ancient fairy tales often have thousands of versions, leaving Disney with quite a bit of room for their own interpretation. Third of all, a classic plot can often give a modern story a 'direction' that makes it feel strangely familiar. Did you also dislike Clueless for being vaguely based on a Jane Austen story?

• Minion

ORWEN: We never bothered to conjur up Clueless in our crystal ball.

ORGOCH: That's 'cause Orwen's 'clueless 'nuff, her own dang self!

ORDDU: In any case, it all comes down to a matter of taste.

ORWEN: And, by the way, there actually IS an ancient fairytale called THE FROG PRINCESS--not to be confused with the better known FROG PRINCE.

ORGOCH: Yeah, ol' Frogberto went 'n told the whole Frog Princess story somewhere's 'round this site.

ORDDU: Now, if you're the sort of duckling who doesn't care when a fairytale is updated and drastically changed, you certainly won't be able to appreciate or agree with the points my sisters and I are trying to make. But we feel something valuable is lost when a story is altered to the poiint where it's modernized to fit some current way of thinking.

ORWEN: We'd prefer Disney fairytales to remain timeless. By setting FROG PRINCESS in the early 20's in a recognized city--like New Orleans--right away you're dating the story and turning it into something that will age badly in years to come. We prefer a fairytale to keep that 'Once upon a time in a land far, far away' atmosphere.

ORDDU: It just seems that, in the past several years, the people in charge of making Disney movies are scared to death of doing period pieces that are faithful to their era. Instead they want to inject all these 'hip and edgy' ideas into a fairytale--which ends up ruining the original author's intent.

ORWEN: But if that's what you like in a Disney fairy tale, you'll certainly prefer fractured fairytales more than we ever will. I'm just glad such stories as Sleeping Beauty and Snow White were made long before any of these 'hip and edgy' type producers got hold of them. Otherwise, Princess Aurora might have been updated to the point where she'd be pricking her finger on a sewing machine and falling asleep upstairs inside the Empire State Building!!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    I'm excited if only because it's real hand drawn animation.
    It will still be computer animated... just 2D rather then 3D and artists will draw the characters where computers will do all the inking and color. Same as the other Disney films that were not 3D.

Its really just about 2D vs 3D. They aren't going back to the 30s technologies..

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It will still be computer animated... just 2D rather then 3D and artists will draw the characters where computers will do all the inking and color. Same as the other Disney films that were not 3D.

Its really just about 2D vs 3D. They aren't going back to the 30s technologies..
    One is cartoon-based and the other isn't. So, the actual animation is, aside from a few special effects, performed by hand and not by computer.

"The Frog Princess" will use hand-drawn cartoons to create the illustrations. And, it's about time that Disney reenter the medium. Eisner was a fool for ever having left it. Disney has had first-mover advantage in the classically-animated feature category for seventy years.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 03-11-2007 at 09:29 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    One is cartoon-based and the other isn't. So, the actual animation is, aside from a few special effects, performed by hand and not by computer.
    Well we aren't going back to the multiplane camera. Everything will be digitized and all the backgrounds and their effects will be done by computer, etc (same as in B&TB, Aladdin, etc).

The real difference is really just about how the characters are animated.. either by hand or by modeling. If they sketch it on a tablet or a piece of paper.. its really no different.

Its really just an issue of deciding to do a 2D movie with animators vs a 3D movie with animators creating models.

I don't understand all the hype.. the format isn't going to make or break the movie. How many sequels have we had that were all 2d animation? They weren't 'magically' better because they were 2D. Its all about the story and the characters. That's what makes or breaks it. (and what has made some of pixar's movies instant classics)

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I don't understand all the hype.. the format isn't going to make or break the movie. How many sequels have we had that were all 2d animation? They weren't 'magically' better because they were 2D. Its all about the story and the characters. That's what makes or breaks it. (and what has made some of pixar's movies instant classics)
    Of course it's possible to make an awful hand-drawn film, and plenty have been made, but to some of us there's a certain charm in a proper hand-drawn movie and those people are happy to see the medium rise from the ashes.

No, it's not all about story and characters. Although obviously pivotal, the manner in which those two are presented is ultimately what counts; it is a film after all, not a novel.

And I may be in the minority here, but I am getting quite bored with the way 3D animated movies look. Shrek, Over the Hedge, Ice Age, yes even Pixar films (although they are indisputably the masters in the field)... It's all glossy worlds where characters have shiny hair, giant eyes and move slightly unnaturally. Which is nice, but slightly monotonous.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 03-11-2007 at 10:20 AM.