•   
    • Minion

"Disney-ing" DreamWorks

I had a thought... (Ok, maybe the start of a rant...) that I have been pondering as of late... I am not certain this is the place to put this as I my main issue is with DreamWorks, business operation... But it can apply to Pixar properties as well.

One of the most well known, highly regarded, and often despised business operating procedures of Disney, is the limited release shedules in order to create longevity of demand of Disney properties.

I read recently this article in the Street that complains partially about possable Shrek fatigue inside the company, and the problems that it has not conjured up a mega hit in it's company. To quote:

In addition to box office receipts, the new Shrek movie is expected to juice DVD sales of the previous two films.

Still, the movie is not without its financial concerns. The bulk of revenue from the film won't start showing up until the back half of 2007, and sequels like Shrek the Third can be less profitable than original films because they cost more to produce.

Also, the new Shrek movie comes at the same time as the release of Sony's third Spider-Man film, as well as the third installment of Disney's Pirates of the Carribean franchise -- both of which are blockbusters in their own right with the ability to chew up a portion of Shrek's audience.
    Then there's the question: How much more Shrek can audiences take? Katzenberg has agreed to produce Shrek the Halls, a Christmas special that is licensed to air for the next 15 years on Disney's broadcast network, ABC. DreamWorks also is in the development stage for Shrek The Musical for Broadway.
    I am not certain this strategy will work for them...

Granted Pixar has yet to walk the ladder path... Disney isn't exactly pressing for Toy Story the Musical on Broadway... ([:innervoice:] Shhh, don't give Disney any bad ideas...[:/innervoice:]) But it too has not really gone down the property supression route that is trademark Disney either...

I am just pondering if DreamWorks and especially Katzenberg has learned all that much from Disney along the business front - and maybe they are selling themselves short by over selling their properties... So far all I am seeing is what Viacom likes to do with all it's releases: "Burn baby burn" untill the demand is exhausted rather than release then supress and then release with a value added bonuses.

DWA, if you are listening... you might want to think about this...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Re: "Disney-ing" DreamWorks

DreamWorks is to Pixar what Six Flags is to Disneyland.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    DreamWorks is to Pixar what Six Flags is to Disneyland.
    Nah, I don't think that comparison really washes...

NickToons is to Pixar what Six Flags is to Disneyland...

DreamWorks is to Pixar what Universal Studios is to Disneyland...

Yeah, that's a closer analogy...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Pretty close though. Dreamworks movies all seem the same to me. Pixar's stand out from one another. But Dreamworks are all about animals that make fun of Disney.

• Minion

>>But Dreamworks are all about animals that make fun of Disney.<<

And they are very loud and noisy and like to make poo along with their sarcasm.

The sad thing is seeing Disney copy DreamWorks. The jangly screaming characters, chattering sass and obligatory breakdancing in the trailer for Meet the Robinsons makes me space out. Where's the poo, or did I space it?

(Still dreaming of Sleeping Beauty...)
    Last edited by merlinjones; 03-12-2007 at 08:56 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>But Dreamworks are all about animals that make fun of Disney.<<

And they are very loud and noisy and like to make poo along with their sarcasm.

The sad thing is seeing Disney copy DreamWorks. The jangly screaming characters, chattering sass and obligatory breakdancing in the trailer for Meet the Robinsons makes me space out. Where's the poo, or did I space it?

(Still dreaming of Sleeping Beauty...)
    Considering that Disney couldn't animate it's way out of a 2D wet paper bag the last ten years and the initial comparison was originally to Pixar... That is a mighty interesting statement...

I would take Aardman's Flushed Away over Chicken Little any day of the week... (and twice on Sunday.) Flushed wasn't a bad film, I thought it was better than Wallace and Gromit of the previous year - the problem is it was miss-marketed by DreamWorks. Who's operations right now are so bad the CFO quit...

But Flushed by and large is 1000 times better than Disney's british import Valliant... which in the words of it's fellow britt and all around pop icon: William Shakespeare: "Sucketh't mightally"

Granted, I am tired of animal fables... And soon you too will be particularly tired of animal fables about penguins...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

That is why I was disapointed with Meet the Robinsons trailer when they started playing the rock music and had that old women dancing "baking them cookies." That is stooping down to all these other animation studio levels trying to be hip and edgy. It just doesn't suit Disney Animation.

Let's hope they will avoid this in the future.

• oh bugger

The contrast and comparisons of Disney animation to Dreamworks animation have existed since Dreamworks Animation began. I haven't much thought about it going the other direction.

I think what has come out of Disney's studio in the last few years and potentially in the next year or so isn't exactly up to par and of the caliber we consider Disney Animation. This doesn't take into account any Pixar films, cause up until recently they were merely distributed by Disney (sure Dreamworks uses Ardman and PDI and such, but people know Pixar, the average Joe has no idea what studio made Shrek)That being said I am curious to see 'Meet the Robinsons' and see where they go with it. I can't stand the break dancing t-rex, it doesn't fit the rest of the tone of the trailer. I'm not a kid and not the target audience so, I feel I'm a little out of touch with how to market to kids, but I really hope for more.

I also think we'll start to see a sort of renaissance for Disney (yes, another one), and then Dreamworks and others will be trying to play catch up to Disney again. I also feel Pixar has never lowered their standards or tried to be like any other studio. Could be part of their success, let's hope Pixar (ala J. Lasseter) brings that back to Disney.

I agree with everyone...disney movies are really being to suck!
    VMK Rocks!!!!

VMK Name fastpinkguestgirl

VMK my anti-drug.

VMK:Not just a game an addiction.
    i'm in a wheelchair because of muscular dystrophy.