• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Regis Philbin to have heart bypass surgery

Not sure how many of you are Regis Philbin fans or watch Regis and Kelly. I am. Record it and watch it faithfully everyday. Today on the show he made this announcement. He will be out for a good five weeks at least. Good wishes and my prayers go out to him.

NEW YORK -
    Regis Philbin, co-host of "Live With Regis and Kelly," announced on Monday's show that he will have heart bypass surgery this week.
    "Well, listen, I gotta tell you something. ... I had been feeling chest pains, you know, and, uh, shortness of breath and all those little symptoms that you hear about," Philbin, 75, told his TV audience. After a number of tests, doctors recommended bypass surgery. Philbin said he was hoping to have angioplasty because "you know, you get in bang, bang, bang they blow it open and you leave the next day." But, he said, "there's some plaque in some arteries and I've got to get it cleaned out."
    He's not looking forward to the surgery.
    "Darn it, I don't want to do it," Philbin said. "Nobody wants to do it, I guess. And I had a second opinion, I did all those things, and so they're all in agreement that it should be the bypass. And so that's what I'm gonna do."
    His co-host, Kelly Ripa said she planned to give Philbin some special attention. "My primary job will be, like it or not, get your pills ready your sponge-bath nurse," she said.
    Philbin quipped: "Why don't you give me a quick dip before I go?"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/..._regis_philbin

• Banned User

Re: Regis Philbin to have heart bypass surgery

I hope the outcome will be great.

i hope hes okay, we cant have a show with just kelly!!!
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

• For old time sake

It's the same surgery David Letterman had. I was so sad when I heard about this. i LOVE Regis. I know he will be ok. He's in good hands.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I grew up watching Regis!
    My prayers will be with him and his family.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Hug a Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat View Post
    It's the same surgery David Letterman had. I was so sad when I heard about this. i LOVE Regis. I know he will be ok. He's in good hands.
    He said on the show this morning that he called David and talked to him about it. You could tell by his tone he is not thrilled that this is happening at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jesjas03 View Post
    i hope hes okay, we cant have a show with just kelly!!!
    Kelly will have many guest co-hosts for the next several weeks. I especially enjoy it when her husband Mark co-hosts with her. When she first started and he came on as a guest co-host he was kind of stiff and unsure. Now he is very comfortable in that position and they make a great team. She usually gets on very well with guest co-hosts. The only one that became a problem was Clay Aiken.

• Delawarean Girl

I heard about this in about 15 mins before I had to start heading out for work this morning.

Best of luck to Regis. Will be praying for you.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    Kelly will have many guest co-hosts for the next several weeks. I especially enjoy it when her husband Mark co-hosts with her. When she first started and he came on as a guest co-host he was kind of stiff and unsure. Now he is very comfortable in that position and they make a great team. She usually gets on very well with guest co-hosts. The only one that became a problem was Clay Aiken.
    Kinda off-topic, but my ex-roommate went to high school with Mark. She showed me him in her senior yearbook (class of '89 I believe). She told me she liked his best friend better though. LOL!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Hang in there Reeg!

• Banned User

Is that why he's been off the show alot lately? I love him I hope everything turns out okay. My mom said he had bypass surgery like 10 years ago too.

• Hug a Billy

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    Is that why he's been off the show alot lately? I love him I hope everything turns out okay. My mom said he had bypass surgery like 10 years ago too.
    In recent years it seems he has been taking more time off than he used to. Also, he now has it in his contract that he has every Friday off unless they are in sweeps or something. He was off last week because the week before they did the shows from here in Los Angeles (I was so mad because I looked and looked for tickets and could find no mention of how to get any anywhere). He stayed "on vacation" another week which usually happens after they do these remotes. He also mentioned he and Joy did one or two of his shows this past weekend, I think he said in Canada.

I remember about 10 years or maybe longer ago when Kathy Lee was his co-host that he had a heart scare and I also thought he had bypass surgery then. But the way he was talking today made it sound like he has never had this procedure done before. But I know he had something done back then. Just don't know what. It was a real wake up call for him to get his cholesterol under control using medication. With him it's genetic.

Just did a search and found that 14 years ago he had an angioplasty procedure done. That is what I am remembering.

Also it was announced last week that Regis would not be hosting America's Got Talent this summer due to conflicts in his schedule. Jerry Springer is going to be the host. This news today explains this change, I think.
    Last edited by Wendygirl; 03-12-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added material