• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney visitor collapses on water-park ride, dies - Sun-Sentinel, 3/16/07

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...a-news-florida

A visitor to Walt Disney World's Blizzard Beach water park collapsed of an apparent heart attack Thursday afternoon and later died at a hospital, theme-park officials said.

Deputy Chief Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department said the man began climbing the stairs of a water ride between 1 and 1:30 p.m. when "he told his wife, 'Hey, I'm not feeling too well.' "

"The man turned around and said, 'I'll meet you downstairs,' " Jones said. "When he got to the bottom of the mountain, he fell and went into cardiac arrest."

Jones said the man, whom authorities would not identify Thursday night, was then pronounced dead at nearby Florida Hospital Celebration Health.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said the Disney guest and his family were on the Downhill Double Dipper water slide on Blizzard Beach.

Polak said the man's family notified the company that he had died and said the man had a pre-existing heart condition.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Someone's excited!

Re: Disney visitor collapses on water-park ride, dies - Sun-Sentinel, 3/16/07

Well at least their not trying to sue Disney for some CrAzY thing. That's been happening alot lately.

My heart goes out to his family and his wife. It would be hard to all of a sudden not have a father or a husband.
    Still wishing for that AP....

Future Imagineer, right here!

"Have I really been on MiceChat for TWO HOURS?!?!?!?" -Me

•   
    • I <3 o

i don't see why the media is so obsesses with people dying in Disney Parks, especially when it had absolutely nothing to do with him being there. He had a heart attack in a public place, are they going to put up a front page story every time someone has a heart attack at Safeway?
    It just seems a bit much, not that I don't feel bad for the family because losing a loved one is horrid, but...
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• May the F=ma be with you

I am glad that the family announced that the man had a previously known condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

I had a heart attack at Disneyland on MainStreet by the carnation cafe. Got carted off in an ambulance and the whole deal. But I guess you have to die to make the news....

My heart goes out to the family. I know how scary and stressful living with heart disease can be... and then finally losing the spouse. Its just hard and so sad.

• Banned User

The whole thing is just very unfortunate and sad. I'm really sorry for the family.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post
    I had a heart attack at Disneyland on MainStreet by the carnation cafe. Got carted off in an ambulance and the whole deal. But I guess you have to die to make the news....

My heart goes out to the family. I know how scary and stressful living with heart disease can be... and then finally losing the spouse. Its just hard and so sad.
    Scary! Glad you made it.

• no flash photography...

the only thing that I find interesting is all they say is he was taken to a hospital. The should have AED's on site and CPR should have been started at the scene. A delay in treatment brings the odds of survival down. Hopefully, they did do this and the story just did not report it.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    the only thing that I find interesting is all they say is he was taken to a hospital. The should have AED's on site and CPR should have been started at the scene. A delay in treatment brings the odds of survival down. Hopefully, they did do this and the story just did not report it.
    I believe that Florida Law recquires a defibrilator to be on site in any major public place.
    Then again RCID is exempt from some Florida laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Then again RCID is exempt from some Florida laws.
    They aren't excempt from state laws.. they are what would be more comparable to their own 'township/city/county'. Meaning they can control their own zoning and ordinances. They wouldn't be exempt from state laws (or federal)- they just don't have another local government dictating tax/zoning ordinances on it.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    You are exactly right. Time is critical. After 5 minutes of no CPR if the heart has stopped beating there is little chance the individual will survive.

I recall an incident at Port Orleans where a man went into arrest - (fibrillation.) The man could have been saved by an AED but the life guard who was trying to operate it was so paniced he couldn't operate the device correctly and the patient died as a result.

On December 29th, 2005 I had another heart attack while at home in my recliner watching TV. My wife was well trained in first aid and how to correctly do CPR. I lost conciousness almost immediatly and she gave me pericardial thumps to stop the fibrillation (no AED on hand) then did normal CPR. She brought me back from the dead. Had I been alone... my ashes would now be in an urn. But man, were my ribs sore!

The point is, if someone collapses, check to see if their heart is still beating and that they are breathing. If not, clear the airway and start CPR. Don't just stand around and wait for the paramedics. Act!