Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray Disk

• Winter in Oceanside...

Blu-Ray Disk

Okay.... what the heck are Blu-Ray disks?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Blu-Ray Disk

I asked my wife the same thing when we saw a commercial for a film coming out on DVD and BLue Ray. Never heard of it before now.

-Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

It's basically a higher capacity disc so the picture and sound quality is better than DVD. Regular DVD players don't play them.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    It's basically a higher capacity disc so the picture and sound quality is better than DVD. Regular DVD players don't play them.

They are not LP record sized like the old laser discs, are they?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Infinitized!

It looks like Blu-Ray is winning over HD-DVD.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

No, they look like a DVD. They have the same diameter as a DVD but are about 3 times thicker, thus allowing them to hold more data.

(PS- I only know this because I am asking my husband, )
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

No, they look like a DVD. They have the same diameter as a DVD but are about 3 times thicker, thus allowing them to hold more data.

(PS- I only know this because I am asking my husband, )
    Thank you and your husband! OFF TOPIC - And don't tell him I said this, but you're right. You are adorable!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Regular DVD players don't play them.
    So all the DVDs that we've all collected will be obsolete and we have to buy yet another machine to play Blu-Ray disks?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    It looks like Blu-Ray is winning over HD-DVD.
    My husband just attendend a conference about this exact subject four days ago!

There were big wigs from about every major studio and production company there and they all prefer Blu Ray because the capacity is so much greater and there is more you can do with them. There are only a couple companies that are using HD DVD, Microsoft and Toshiba I think? Not sure about that part.

Sounds like Blu Ray is the next big thing.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    So all the DVDs that we've all collected will be obsolete and we have to buy yet another machine to play Blu-Ray disks?
    Just the same as the Beta had to give way to the VHS, which had to yield to the DVD, records yielded to CD's...it's planned obsolescence... the economy's way of life...

--Barry

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Yup.

There are players that will be made that have both the red and blue lasers that can play both DVD and blu ray, kind of like the combo VCR and DVD players. But eventually, I think Blu Ray will become mush more prominent,
    like DVD's are today.

At the conference, they had a comparison of DVD quality vs blu ray and my husband says he was shocked at how much better blu ray is.

• ...TWO BITS!

I hear more about Blu-Ray than HDDVD. Blu ray does seem to be winning. Isn't the blue laser also thinner than the red laser or something like that?

That's the next question: WHAT IS HD-DVD??

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I hear more about Blu-Ray than HDDVD. Blu ray does seem to be winning. Isn't the blue laser also thinner than the red laser or something like that?

The blu ray laser has a shorter wavelength so it can read more information in a shorter space than the red laser.

My husband says that he thinks the HD DVD is also read by a blue laser, but is a thinner disc and holds less information.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Blu-ray players are backwards compatible with regular DVD's, so you won't need to trash your collection . . . yet.

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post

HD-DVD is just another hi-res DVD format, the one that is currently trailing Blu-ray in sales.

It'll be interesting to see how the Blu-ray/HD-DVD competition shakes out, especially since there's a movement to combine the formats. LG has come out with a hi-def player that plays both formats and Warner Bros. announced they're releasing individual discs compatible with both Blu-ray and HD-DVD before the end of the year.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Just the same as the Beta had to give way to the VHS, which had to yield to the DVD, records yielded to CD's...it's planned obsolescence... the economy's way of life...

--Barry
    Snake from the Simpsons: "Oh no! Beta!"

Anybody remember the short-lived Superbit DVDs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast