Warner Bros. Pictures' '300' reaches $127.4 million at box office in ten days of release, only the R-rated 'The Matrix Reloaded' and 'The Passion of The Christ' have reached the $100 million mark faster.

'300' still the mighty conqueror

Sparring Spartans take in another $31.1 million

'300' has taken in $127.4 million in total.

By Ian Mohr
Variety
March 19, 2007

Helmer Zack Snyder's ancient epic "300" ruled again over the weekend, plowing through another $31.1 million to raise its two-frame cume to a hulking $127.4 million.

Disney's "Wild Hogs" revved its engine yet again behind "300" as new entries had to settle for bows lower down on the charts.

Biz on Warner Bros.' "300" dropped 56% from its opening frame. Studio brass said that ticket sales on the male-skewing "300" were slightly stunted by the NCAA tourney and St. Patrick's Day bar-hopping, alternatives competing for guys' attention over the weekend.

Even so, the graphic novel adaptation had the heftiest per-theater average of any pic in the top 10, at $9,537.

Coming in at No. 2 for the second straight frame, bikers-in-midlife-crisis pic "Hogs" raced to $18.8 million and raised its cume to $103.9 million in three weekends of release.

Pic has been yet another unlikely hit this year, along with "300" and Sony's "Ghost Rider," which shot past the $200 million mark worldwide over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Sony's "Premonition," which bowed in 2,831 locations, finished third with $18 million -- the biggest opening weekend ever for star Sandra Bullock. (Thesp's previous high was the $16.1 million bow for "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" in 2002).

PG-13 pic "Premonition," from the studio's TriStar label and budgeted at around $20 million, follows Bullock as a housewife who keeps reliving the day her husband dies. Women comprised 66% of the movie's aud.

Among other new openers, Universal's horror pic "Dead Silence," by "Saw" helmer James Wan, finished in fourth with $7.7 million off 1,803.

Chris Rock's latest comedy, "I Think I Love My Wife," took fifth in its Fox Searchlight bow , saying "I do" to $5.7 million off 1,776 for a per-location average of $3,218.

B.O. overall dropped sharply from last frame, when "300" debuted with more than $70 million. But the numbers were still up from last year as 2007 continues to boost biz for Hollywood.

Top 10 pics combined over the frame for $96.4 million, up from $89.7 million over the same frame last year, when "V for Vendetta" opened in the No. 1 spot.

Success of "300" stems in part from boffo biz on Imax screens, dropping just 27% to bring in another $2.6 million. Unit's execs say they're seeing lots of repeat biz on the movie in Imax theaters as they target young males into technology.

Among holdovers, Disney saw only a slight slip for its kidpic "Bridge to Terabithia." Receipts dipped just 24%, the lowest drop in the top 10. Cume is $74.9 million in five weeks.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1