View Poll Results: Are You An "Idiot's Guide" or "Dummies Guide" person

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love that yellow - I am an "Idiot"

3 27.27%
  • Just call me a "Dummie"

3 27.27%
  • I don't need any of those books - I'm smart!

5 45.45%

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Which Book Do You Prefer? An "Idiot" or a "Dummy"?

Okay, wait a minute. Before you scoff at me or speak angrily of my name, there have been sillier polls and threads than this.

I just know it ( I think!)

One of the major developments in literary America in recent years has been the advent of the "Idiot's Guide" and the "Dummies Guide" to just about anything you can think of.

So, with one of the truly weighty questions of our time, I ask - what are you? An "Idiot" (Idiot's Guide") person ...or a "Dummie". (Are You Smarter than a 5th...wait, wrong thread.)

I OPENLY ADMIT TO HAVING SEVERAL OF BOTH. But the majority are the books of yellow color ... therefore, I am an "Idiot"!

How about you?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Which Book Do You Prefer? An "Idiot" or a "Dummy"?

I am now consulting my "Idiot's Guide to Successful Thread-Making"...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Dude, I can't vote...I collect them both! I cannot put the buggers down! I find that they are really quite comprehensive in approach and fun to read on a given topic.

So I'll go with 'both.' At least for me.

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I am now consulting my "Idiot's Guide to Successful Thread-Making"...
    Very cute.

When I need to know something, I usually Google it. My life is pretty easy so I don't need books on how to do things. If it is too complicated, like involving computers, I get my husband to do it!

I work at B&N in Pittsburgh, and we tend to sell more Dummies books. They were the first ones out, so I think people are more familure with the way they are set up. But now it has become a generic term for a simple and easy to read book.

• See you there!

Both book/series are actually quite good at an introduction to a topic, almost any topic. Heck, Dr. Ruth even has a "Dummy's" guide to Sex. That said...

I really don't like the titles, as they can be a put-off to some. In my classes, I often reference that there is a "Dummy's" book on a subject then qualify it by telling students to not be put-off by the title, go ahead and buy the "Dummy's" (or "Idiot's" book) as they frequently have good introductory informaiton.

BTW: I have found more titles on subjects I look for in the "Dummy's" books than the "Idiot's" books

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 03-19-2007 at 07:09 AM.
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Banned User

I user neither but more then often I need both

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I didn't know there was a difference between the two. Does that make me an idiot or does that mean I am so smart I never needed either?
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

We have mostly Idiot books, although we do have The Dummies guide to Amazing Sex.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Rock Star Minion

We bought "WDW for Dummies" for our trip a few years ago. I found it very helpful.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I don't think anyone is a "dummy" or an "idiot" for enjoying these books! The only book that may have re-invented itself in more different forms might be the really pleasant "Chicken Soup" series.

I think I even saw "Chicken Soup For Baseball Fans"...I know that there are both Idiots and Dummies Guides To Baseball..much of them involving understanding the nuances of the game at all levels. Yes, I have read them.

--Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    We have mostly Idiot books, although we do have The Dummies guide to Amazing Sex.
    I heard that the plot was rather thin, but that the pictures were interesting.

--Barry