• Minion

John Denver and Placido Domingo

Amazingly good duet

It may now be my favorite John Denver song.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1my1t2tww-8[/youtube]
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: John Denver and Placido Domingo

I have been a John Denver fan ever since I first heard "Take Me Home Country Roads" on the radio in 1971.

I have purchased most of his albums and later CDs, and saw him perform at least six times...from the Forum (a show that ran 3 1/2 hours with no opening act) in Inglewood, to Lake Tahoe, to the Anaheim Convention Center, to the last time at the Thousand Oaks Arts Plaza a few months before he died.

In this song, Colorado meets Italy. As with many artists, the more commercial he became, the songs weren't always as good, as when he hadn't hit it big. But this one, released in the mid to late 80's, was a exception. I remember hearing it played a lot on LA radio then.

From songfacts. com:

Denver wrote this and recorded it as a duet with Placido Domingo. It was not expected to be a commercial success; a radio station played it on the air as a way to preview the song because none of the office turntables were working at the time. The call-in response from listeners was overwhelming and convinced them to release it. It received considerable radio airplay.
    John sang this song during his induction to the songwriters Hall of Fame. I did a solo as part of our church choir's adaption one Sundy morning, and we got a standing ovation!

Thanks, Tiggerfan, for the great link, and the memories.

Do they have a video of Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson?

"To all the girls I've loved before..."

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

I do love the story of the way it got played.

As I heard the story, they managed to get the record to the station owner because the program director was out.

The owners wife was a huge Placido Domingo fan.

They tried to play it on two different record players but couldnt get it to work so they played it over the air.

Before the song was done, the phone lines were jammed.

I wish I could have seen Denver live, but I love his music.

As one person said.. when it comes to wedding songs, Mendelssohn has one, Denver has two.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    I do love the story of the way it got played.

As I heard the story, they managed to get the record to the station owner because the program director was out.

The owners wife was a huge Placido Domingo fan.

They tried to play it on two different record players but couldnt get it to work so they played it over the air.

Before the song was done, the phone lines were jammed.

I wish I could have seen Denver live, but I love his music.

As one person said.. when it comes to wedding songs, Mendelssohn has one, Denver has two.
    Tiggerfan, in his own unpretentious way, he was a great showman...and his live performances were among the best I'd ever attended. One thing I remember about that 3 1/2 hour show at the Forum...I think it was spring 1978...he sent the backup singers and musicians offstage for a break...and sang to us with his acoustic guitar...songs like "Berkeley Woman"...it was great!

And in the 90's when I saw him in T.O...I thought I was back in the 70's,

Far out, indeed. I miss him, and the world is a poorer place for his having died far too young.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.