• Drunk On Disney

Anyone a member of the Disney Movie Club? Exclusive titles like "Zorro are available!

I am sure most of you have gotten junk mail regarding the Disney Movie Club. It sounds very similar to the old "Columbia Record Club."

Are any MiceChatter's members? I have been thinking about it lately as so many "exclusive" titles have been released for members.

The membership is somewhat reasonable in price:
    3 movies for $1.99 + 1 at $14.99 at enrollment

4 more to buy in 2 years at a club prices (a high, but not ridiculous $19.99 plus shipping.)

Check out this list of exclusive titles:

(from ultimatedisney.com)
    List of Disney Movie Club Exclusive DVD Waves:
    March 2005: Benji the Hunted* (1987) Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken* (1991) Mail to the Chief (2000)
    June 2005: Tall Tale: The Unbelievable Adventure (1995) Geppetto (2000)
    September 2005: Shipwrecked (1991) Rocketman (1997) A Knight in Camelot (1998)
    January 2006: The Horse Without a Head (1963) DuckTales: The Movie (1990) Smart House (1999) Jumping Ship (2001)
    April 2006: The Yellowstone Cubs (1963) A Tiger Walks (1964) The Bluegrass Special (1977)
    July 2006: The Story of Robin Hood (1952) Zorro: Season 1, Volume 1 (1957) Zorro: Season 1, Volume 2 (1957) Kidnapped (1960)

* - subsequently released to general retail in near-identical DVD

Some of the titles (particularly The Horse Without a Head and Zorro) sound like great things to own!

Here is The Disney Movie Club's website.

So I ask you who are members:
    IS IT WORTH IT? Is there a hidden catch?

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

Re: Anyone a member of the Disney Movie Club? Exclusive titles like "Zorro are availa

I'm a member, and it's not that bad. They send you a movie a month, regardless if you want it or not. Don't buy any of the special editions, since they send them to you. (I own 3 copies of Little Mermaid....)

It costs 19.99 a month, but a movie is in the deal, and when you want certain movies, you get them at the clubs prices. I joined because the introductory price was good, and I like getting movie a month. I own all the wierd ones, like Chicken Little and Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure because of the club. If you are a movie fan, I would look into joining.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Anyone a member of the Disney Movie Club? Exclusive titles like "Zorro are availa

Anyone else in the club? Apparently it's the only place to get Duck Tales the Movie. If you're in the club and have this title, is it in widescreen?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I'm a member, one thing that bothered me about them is that they advertise some of their movies as "exclusive to the club" (Like for example 'Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken' which I've seen at just about every Best Buy I've ever been in.) I don't know if its an oversight or just misleading but there you have it. I got my initial DVDs, then kind of felt like I shouldn't have joined. I could find most of the movies I wanted for much less either through Amazon, DeepDiscount or in retail stores. I also got annoyed having to mail back the little "no, I don't want Tarzan 14" slip in every month (they have since made it possible to reply to the monthly movie online which is MUCH better!) I fulfilled my agreement and called to close my membership and they gave me the "I'm going to talk you out of this any way I can think of" routine and I ended up NOT cancelling - yes, I'm weak. So, I still belong and get the monthly packet telling me what they have - they DO run some good deals every once in a while and DO have some movies that I've never seen elsewhere so for those reasons its worth joining - I guess I'm just not as hardcore when it comes to getting the rare stuff so it didn't have the same excitement for me that it would for others.
    Anything you do, let it come from you, then it will be new. Give us more to see. ~Stephen Sondheim

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

It's a fantastic deal if you don't own many of the films to begin with.

The deal I got (if i use my credit card) is you get 4 dvds for $1 and free shipping.

Then you buy one more dvd at $14.95 (free shipping) and also one more at $9.95.

Then you only have to buy 3 more at $19.95.

That's 9 dvds at like $10 each... so it's GREAT but I have too many dvds that I really want already. I might have to wait a bit longer.

So... nobody has the Ducktales Movie dvd??

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Artsy Fartsy

I'm a meber too. I've looked places for rare DVD like Zorro and could'nt find them except here. I also fell behind in updating movies. I love the program. As far as the monthly titles they ship to you automaticly, I go to the website and click NO to refuse the featured title. i've been a member for about 4 months and have fulfilled 2 out of 3 at the full price. In total I've ordered 9 movies and have paid on avrage $ 10.00 for each. I would reccomend it for the person who is starting thier collection or looking for rare movies.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Drunk On Disney

Hi,

I started the thread and now I have become a member and received my first batch of films.

Duck Tales is one of them and it is widescreen. Looked really good, too.

As for Wild Hearts Cant Be Broken, this (as well as a couple of other titles - ex. Benji the Hunted) was an exclusive title that later was released to the general public.

I assume the same thing will eventually happen with a title like Duck Tales.

Some of the other exclusive titles I got (like the adorable "Yellowstone Cubs" and "The Horse Without a Head" are probably less likely to get a re-release.

• Drunk On Disney

Also, it's worth noting that most of the exclusive titles have little or no extras (Duck Tales has a game on the disc, most have nothing but the feature.)

However, when they do become non-exclusives like Wild Hearts and Benji the Hunted, the general releases is almost identical to the one you got from the club.

So it seems unlikely that you would feel like you had to buy the film again when it got released.