• ...TWO BITS!

ROBOCOP producer and writer at CSUN

The 35mm film print screening of ROBOCOP was awesome. The print belonged to producer Jon Davison. Him along with writer Michael Miner appeared in the Q&A after the screening. It was good. I don't think anyone liked John Schthesis as the moderator. He kept wasting time. They said a lot of new stuff and old stuff already mentioned from the DVD.

New stuff I learned:

The "I'd buy that for a dollar" commerical was a parody of Benny Hill.

They also think today's films stink. But once in a while, a good one comes around. And they believe the audience really are hungry for the good intellectual and fun Hollywood movie like Robocop.

These guys never paid attention to the sequels and spinoffs. They also think the movie sequels stink though. They get royalty fees everytime Robocop is used for something.

Some films and sequels today are rushed into production too quickly by the studios and result in bad movies (Batman 3 & 4 for example). That's what happened to Robocop 2. Orion was losing money and wanted a sequel quick to get their money back. Frank Miller was brought in to write the sequels because at the time, there was a writer's strike. Michael Miner was part of the Writer's Guild. Frank Miller was not. There was a lot more care and passion for Robocop compared to the sequels.

Robocop was originally rated X like 13 times. One of the main problems was the melting man getting hit by a car. The MPAA didn't like it, but it was the audience's favorite scene during the preview screenings.

The director as a child in World War II actually saw people get shot. So from that experience, he used in the film. But a director who has never seen or experienced a real violence like that has no idea, ala Robert Roderguiez, Quentin Taratino, etc.

The editor thought it was stupid to cut to a dinosaur/car commerical in the middle of the movie. But it worked well as a comic moment.

A company I think called Fox Atomic Films was going to remake Robocop. Not sure what happened to it. They were remaking Revenge of the Nerds but stopped 3 weeks into filming.

The producer comicly suggested the death scene at the end while they were trying to come up with an ending. Everyone else didn't think it would work either. But eventually it did.

The writers and producers literally went to a Directors film book and went from A-Z looking for someone to direct. They finally got to Paul Verhoeven, but originally turned it down until his wife read the script and encouraged his involvment.

Personally I thought the stop-motion effects looked better on film than TV and DVD. And the film print was a bit scratchy in the beginning, but after that, it looked really good.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-23-2007 at 12:10 AM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Re: ROBOCOP producer and writer at CSUN

damn i would have love to see them i love robocop
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Circle of Ancients

Re: ROBOCOP producer and writer at CSUN

Someone actually WROTE Robocop???

I keed. That's actually kind of cool.