Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald
    About 6 years ago I think there was a musical version of "The Hunchback of Nortre Dame." Not sure if it was Disney's version or not. I also think that there is a short musical verison (like the Snow White and Aladin shows) at the MGM Disney Studios.
    They did have that for a while at MGM... but it is no more...

Here are some pictures of it if you'd like to check them out!

• Rawr...

Well thats not magnificent enough! More! More I say!
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• -Going Retro-

I would have to agree! Mulan woudl be cool to see. Maybe my first Broadway show How about The Little Mermaid? I'm sure one of our members would want to see that happen: LiTtLeMeRmAiD

• Happy Memories

I've always felt the Hunchback has the most theatrical possiblity. They did do a version of it in Germany. It was supposedly quite good, but Hunchback never reached the popularity needed here in the states to make the leap to NY. I believe Jim Hill did a series of stories about the German production at some point if you're interested in reading about it.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Disguy
    I would have to agree! Mulan woudl be cool to see. Maybe my first Broadway show How about The Little Mermaid? I'm sure one of our members would want to see that happen: LiTtLeMeRmAiD
    Mermaid is actually in the works now. At one point it was being concieved by Matthew Bourne (would've loved that), but he and the Dis had "creative differences." They announced a creative team for it just in the last couple months.

To elaborate on what XharryB said, I wrote a series for JHM on Disney's Hunchback musical. You can actually order the cast album (in German of course) from footlight.com...it's one of the best CDs I've ever gotten. A company in South Korea is actually doing the show right now, they managed to license it from Disney. I don't think we'll see it stateside anytime soon.

Little Mermaid is shooting for a 2007 opening on Broadway and will be directed by Francesca Zambello, who directed Aladdin at DCA. Beauty and the Beast will most likely close on Broadway before Mermaid opens.

Newsies is all ready being adapted for the stage, but not for Broadway. Disney will license it through MTI (www.mtishows.com) to high schools and community theatres interested in doing the show. Should be released in 2006.

Disney has Tarzan and Pinocchio (to be done by Julie Taymor, a la Lion King) in the works, but they are far off at the moment. They have not considered Mulan yet, but have tinkered with the idea of the Nightmare Before Christmas and Hercules (both extremely blue sky). Disney is also considering a musical based on the Muppets, and is actively developing a musical based on the spelling bee documentary, Spellbound.

Mary Poppins (www.marypoppinsthemusical.com) just opened in London and should be on Broadway in spring of 2006.

Dreamworks is entering the Broadway arena with Shrek the Musical and Catch Me If You Can in the near future as well.

Thanks for all the great info! Newsies would be a great production for an all boys school to put on! I would definitely go see it if a local high school near me had it!

• Rawr...

sweet. So I have time to toss my ideas at Disney for the Hunchback musical. It will be awesome. Dont worry. Or worry, if you want. Or dont even care at all!

• Rawr...

What about somehow adapting bedknobs and broomsticks to the stage?

• Banned User

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2Disneyland
    the Nightmare Before Christmas and Hercules (both extremely blue sky). Disney is also considering a musical based on the Muppets, and is actively developing a musical based on the spelling bee documentary, Spellbound.
    Great.. i would lvoe to see those.... ESP nightmare.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin2Disneyland
    Dreamworks is entering the Broadway arena with Shrek the Musical and Catch Me If You Can in the near future as well.
    Interesting.. a shrek broadway show.... makes sence to mee.....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511
    What Disney movie would you like to see on Broadway? My friend and I would like to see the Hunchback of Notre Dame. As a matter of fact, we want to direct it and design it.
    Too late. It never actually went to the New York Stage, but Disney Theatrical did produce the show in Germany.

I would love to see a staged version of Nightmare Before Christmas.

• Rawr...

So lets bring up the Nightmare before christmas idea. How would one make Jack so tall and skinny? And his head? What about the different sets? and the boogie sequence? I think if it would work, it would officialy be one of the coolest shows I've ever seen.

• Rawr...

Could they pull off a puppet thing like the Lion King?

• Practically Perfect

They might be able to do a Lion King-ish thing where an actor manipulates the "puppet" and you would need one for Jack, Sally, and Oggie at least. It would be awsome to see the bath tub crawl across stage, wouldn't it...

• Rawr...

Yea, I had forgotten about that!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast