Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rent

• Banned User

Rent

New trailer for the RENT movie appeared online. Amazing trailer (Or, music video?) Hope it is as good as it looks. I am slightly nervous as Chris Colombus is directing. Don't know how well he can tackle drama being that the last good movies he worked on were both comedies. I do use the term "good" when describing his films extremely loosely.

I was under the impression that Spike Lee was involved in this movie. Guess not. Anyone that is cool enough to refer to their films as joints is an amazing director in my books.

http://movies.channel.aol.com/franch...ves/rent_movie

• Official MC Thread Killer

Excellent! I think I'll definately see it. I've never seen it on Broadway yet simply because I listened to the soundtrack before and honestly... it didn't do much for me (except for Seasons of Love). But I'll definately give the movie a try!
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• e komo mai

Thank you for the link! I will definitely be seeing this one. Not sure how it's going to be, but I loved, loved, loved the play.

Edited to add:
    I just watched the trailer and am a little concerned. It's not as gritty as I thought it was going to be. It's looking like an afterschool special to me right now... I'm hoping it's good and packs a punch.
    Last edited by Gemini Cricket; 06-09-2005 at 07:03 AM.

• Happy Memories

Spike was attached a long time ago and i thought he would have been a good choice to bring some grittyness to the peice, but he was trying to cast people like Justin Timberlake. he wound up walking from the project a couple years ago.

I've had many doubts about Columbus since he was announced, but the more I've seen, the more i feel he might be doing ok with it. It's mostly from reading what the cast members and the Larson family have said about the experience and how it is going that makes me confident. i think it will be pretty good. A totally different experience from seeing it live of course, but good none the less.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Oh man I just watched the trailer four times in row and have no intention of stopping. I LOVE that song and I love Rent. It has some of the best music ever. I have wanted the soundtrack for so long but it is so darn expensive!

Of course no movie is ever the same experience as a live stage production, but they do reach a larger audience and I think the music and message of Rent deserves to be seen and heard. I can't WAIT for this movie.

Now excuse me while I go back to watching that trailer!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Minion

Considering most of the original Broadway cast is in the movie version, it should be good. I wish that they casted the original Mimi...not sure about Rosario Dawson. However, I am a little concerned about the adaption from stage to big screen. I sure hope they can pull it off.

Ok, I just saw the preview and it looks great.
    Last edited by Mrs.Newseditor44; 06-09-2005 at 10:31 AM.

• Happy Memories

[QUOTE=Mrs.Newseditor44]Considering most of the original Broadway cast is in the movie version, it should be good. I wish that they casted the original Mimi...not sure about Rosario Dawson. QUOTE]

They made the right choice not casting Daphne (original Mimi). She just wouldn't have worked in a filmed version. There are lines in the show about how young Mimi looks and that would have been a joke with Daphne on screen. Don't believe me? Take a look at the film Wild Things, she plays one of the main cops in that film. She couldn't pull off looking like a convincing teenager then and that was several years ago. Wether Rosario was the right replacement I have yet to decide, need to hear her sing first.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    They made the right choice not casting Daphne (original Mimi). She just wouldn't have worked in a filmed version. There are lines in the show about how young Mimi looks and that would have been a joke with Daphne on screen. Don't believe me? Take a look at the film Wild Things, she plays one of the main cops in that film. She couldn't pull off looking like a convincing teenager then and that was several years ago. Wether Rosario was the right replacement I have yet to decide, need to hear her sing first.
    I never saw that film. I guess you are right I forgot the lines regarding age in the musical.

•   
    • Minion

I just remember that it was a big todo at SF City Hall with Galven Newsom, when Columbus made the announcement that he was bringing the production of RENT to SF... The film production in San Francisco has really dropped off since Jeff Bridges got canceled...

I personally thought that if ANY place would do service to such a film it is San Francisco... Which has the feel of NYC in places, and has a community that would be very supportive of it's message... In fact, I don't know why they just mount a full scale production at the Curran? I bet it would be as popular as Les Mis and Phantom...
    Check out my other blog:

• insufferable know-it-all

Well, I like it from the previews...

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    YAY! It looks amazing- if you know anything about the story behind the making of the musical, the original cast will make sure it stays true to the original. I got chills! I saw it years ago when it was on tour and have really been looking forward to the movie- I think it is going to rock. I was kind of dissapointed with the "phantom" movie, but this one looks much more promising.....
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    YAY! It looks amazing- if you know anything about the story behind the making of the musical, the original cast will make sure it stays true to the original. I got chills! I saw it years ago when it was on tour and have really been looking forward to the movie- I think it is going to rock. I was kind of dissapointed with the "phantom" movie, but this one looks much more promising.....
    oooooh! DQ we should make it a date!

I liked Phantom from what I saw. Admittedly I as doing laudry and other housework while it was on so I mostly justy heard it more than watched it. I have been an avid Phantom fan since 3rd grade (seriously- I knew every word at 8). I have seen the stage version 4 times.

But I am WAY more excited about the film version of Rent!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    Sooooo excited for this!!!

I went on a WB tour on Memorial Day and they had the sets up... They were filming six days on the lot (singing and dancing, our tour guide said!) strting the next day. Does anyone want to see the pics I took? I was impressed by how much it looked like NYC!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• e komo mai

Anyone know if all the songs are going to be in it? If so, it may be a long movie...

If any of the characters put there hands on either side of their cheeks, look at the camera and scream... I'll spew burrito chunks.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    I have such high hopes for it. Saw it in San Francisco and LOVED it. I will definatly see it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast