View Poll Results: Which Disney Afternoon Cartoon Was Your Favorite?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gummy Bears

4 5.33%
  • Ducktales

20 26.67%
  • Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers

8 10.67%
  • Tale Spin

7 9.33%
  • Darkwing Duck

7 9.33%
  • Bonkers

3 4.00%
  • Goof Troop

5 6.67%
  • Gargoyles

9 12.00%
  • Not Listed Above (please state in a reply)

1 1.33%
  • I cant pick they were all great!

11 14.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• May the F=ma be with you

Re: What Was Your Favorite Disney Afternoon Cartoon (Poll)

My top 4 are:

Tale Spin
    Rescue Rangers
    Duck Tales
    Goof Troop

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Minion

>.Seriously? Because for me the combination of these and the "silver age" movies that came out during my childhood made me the Disney fan I am today, in my opinion the ones I listed before were the best short cartoons put out by the studio (I know, shame on me but as a kid the golden age cartoons never kept me captivated.) We can all agree on how stupid the direct to video sequels are but dont blame something that the studio started as the DA was winding down (I believe that Return of Jafar was actually supposed to be orginally concieved as 5 part mini series intro to the Aladdin cartoon) with what it was orginally ment to do.<<

I respect that you have an affection for your childhood TV favorites (and certainly for the wonderful "silver age" animated features), but what you couldn't know as a child is that Eisner's interest (with his background in network television) was in shutting down Feature Animation and shipping it all overseas from day one. Had it not been for Roy E Disney, there would have been no Mermaid etc.

Disney Television Animation (now split into WDTVA and DisneyToonStudios) from the beginning was conceived as a low-cost alternative to WDFA - and it was an entirely separate group. They might have made Snow White sequels from day one had they not been forbidden to do so - - at first. The sequels grew directly out of the Disney Afternoon and were part of a management argument that "people can't tell the difference." It was a long-unfolding tragedy - - at Feature Animation, we all knew it from the time Disney animation ceased to be an exclusive, premium entity.

So enjoy those shows, they ultimately cost a lot. More than you could know.

• Practically Perfect

Gosh, pretty much all of them but Gummy Bears. I like the show now that I've seen it, but for some reason I never had the chance to watch it as a kid...odd. Gargoyles was by far my favorite! (what am I saying "was" ... )

• Shablagoo!

Gargoyles. It was one of the best shows on TV, animated or not. I hope Season 2 Vol 2 comes out one day.

• Minion

Gummy Bears or Ducktales? Ducktales or Tale Spin? I'll pick Ducktales since I remember it more than the others. But come on someone's got to give those Gummy Bears a vote!

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >.Seriously? Because for me the combination of these and the "silver age" movies that came out during my childhood made me the Disney fan I am today, in my opinion the ones I listed before were the best short cartoons put out by the studio (I know, shame on me but as a kid the golden age cartoons never kept me captivated.) We can all agree on how stupid the direct to video sequels are but dont blame something that the studio started as the DA was winding down (I believe that Return of Jafar was actually supposed to be orginally concieved as 5 part mini series intro to the Aladdin cartoon) with what it was orginally ment to do.<<

I respect that you have an affection for your childhood TV favorites (and certainly for the wonderful "silver age" animated features), but what you couldn't know as a child is that Eisner's interest (with his background in network television) was in shutting down Feature Animation and shipping it all overseas from day one. Had it not been for Roy E Disney, there would have been no Mermaid etc.

Disney Television Animation (now split into WDTVA and DisneyToonStudios) from the beginning was conceived as a low-cost alternative to WDFA - and it was an entirely separate group. They might have made Snow White sequels from day one had they not been forbidden to do so - - at first. The sequels grew directly out of the Disney Afternoon and were part of a management argument that "people can't tell the difference." It was a long-unfolding tragedy - - at Feature Animation, we all knew it from the time Disney animation ceased to be an exclusive, premium entity.

So enjoy those shows, they ultimately cost a lot. More than you could know.

Sounds like we agree on principle just see it diferently. While management was stupid to assume the connection between TV and FA, for 10 years they struck gold when they had a vibrant TV and FA studio going at the same time. And I wish that they would return to that model.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Seriously? Because for me the combination of these and the "silver age" movies that came out during my childhood made me the Disney fan I am today, in my opinion the ones I listed before were the best short cartoons put out by the studio (I know, shame on me but as a kid the golden age cartoons never kept me captivated.) We can all agree on how stupid the direct to video sequels are but dont blame something that the studio started as the DA was winding down (I believe that Return of Jafar was actually supposed to be orginally concieved as 5 part mini series intro to the Aladdin cartoon) with what it was orginally ment to do. I really wish that Disney would actually return to non toddler TV shows because, seriously that is the way to snag modern age kids and make them life long fans. Dont believe me? Look at some of the response to TMNT by people in my age bracket and that wont even compare to the huge response Transformers is going to have this summer. While people equally adore movies, they are usaully one and done, except in the rare instance that a sequel is as good as the orginal, which if you only talk about orginal material that has come out in the last ten years not derived from a series of books or TV shows includes Shrek (one book,) Pirates, and Star Wars.

Then look at the response to people about TV on DVD and all of the crappy movies based on TV shows that even with bad reviews has been gold in the box office. If/when hollywood is able to make a decent TV remake look for Pirates 2 type numbers on it, people are just more attached to TV then movies.
    I love their stories. I mean I am still reading "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" and Don Rosa/Carl Barks did an awsome job giving Scrooge a very well detailed history and life. This book made me appreciate DuckTales even more because now I can see all the tie-in's from Scrooges past that are incorporated into the show, something most people tend to overlook.

So now, in my opinion, Scrooge McDuck is the most well rounded character I can think of, even more well rounded than Mickey, and thankfully his career was revived with DuckTales. DuckTales brought him back out of the group of characters who were being forgotten and left behind, and it exposed him to a newer generation of Disney fans.

It's sad to see Disney letting Scrooge slip in popularity again. He is one of the best, well developed and detailed characters Disney has ever created!

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    Good timing! And now my mind has jumped to the Fraggle Rock song.
    oooh! fraggle rock!!! i love that one

didnt even know there was a gummi bears one

• Delawarean Girl

If this was a muti choice poll; I would have picked more.

But I went with Goof Troop. Only for the love of Peg Leg Pete.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Great poll. I thought I would also share this website. You can watch the introduction to most of the shows listed here.

http://www.retrojunk.com/

• Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Great poll. I thought I would also share this website. You can watch the introduction to most of the shows listed here.

http://www.retrojunk.com/

I love the retro junk website too. It holds so many memories.

• Minion

I loved Gummi bears and Duck Tales
    GrouchyRob Fan!!

• Delawarean Girl

Just cameback to tell my other favorites. Again, I love Goof Troops because of Pete.

I also love Ducktales, Gummy Bears , Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers , & Darkwing Duck.

*Now I'm happy*
    Last edited by Hayley B; 03-25-2007 at 04:54 PM.

• Senior Minion

DuckTales- religously everyday, after getting off the bus from school. My brothers and I loved this show.

Rescue Rangers-right after Ducktales so naturally we watched this as well.

Gummi Bears. We only saw this on Saturday mornings, it was taped.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Basking in birthday love

Darkwing Freaking Duck! I flipped the hell out when that came out on DVD and bought it IMMEDIATELY. Such a great show.

I miss the cartoons of my youth. Not only great Disney stuff like Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles, but the brilliant stuff that was coming out of Warner Brothers, like Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. The stuff they're putting out now isn't nearly as good, and it's mostly badly dubbed and watered down anime imports anyway, all serious and bogged down by continuity and cheesy to boot. I haven't seen that sort of intelligent, anarchic fun since Histeria, Animaniacs' successor, went off the air. It would be nice to see a show that doesn't assume that the kids are retards just because they're seven.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast