• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'ENTOURAGE' Season 3 1/2

It'll be great to have the boys back. Wonder what Lloyd has been up to?!
    Interesting article:

HBO
    When it comes to Hollywood princes, fiction trumps real life.

ON TV / PAUL BROWNFIELD
    These boys have some hang-ups

PAUL BROWNFIELD
    Los Angeles Times
    March 27, 2007

STRANGELY for a show on HBO about being young and male and rich in Hollywood, there are no sex scenes on "Entourage."

It's a sex farce without the sex; you presume that the young movie star Vince (Adrian Grenier) has a stable of rotating women, but these conquests are like Vince's acting talent — implied, not shown, as if to see Vince actually engaged in the sex act would turn off viewers.

I'm five episodes into the new season, which premieres April 8, and the show has never seemed better as both comedy and benign Hollywood fantasy, the predictable rhythms of each episode (good things happen, then get briefly derailed, only to end in something even better happening) freeing up the writers to be playful with dialogue.

With HBO facing life after "The Sopranos," "Entourage" is to the pay-cable network what "Sex and the City" was — a romp, with a swag bag of material goodies (for HBO, that would be celebrity cameos, partial nudity and profanity) for the audience at the door of every episode.

"Sex and the City" in its unbidden depictions of sex and presentation of boy toys, earned the reputation of being written for women and gay men by women and gay men. The show was nowhere near as chaste or ashamed about the self-conscious, bad ballet of lovemaking as "Entourage" is. Apparently, it's actually straight males who find sex icky. The self-censorship is even more glaring given that "Entourage" otherwise revels in displaying the spoils of new Hollywood money (in the codified world of the show, you have to have the scene in which Vince buys three gleaming new sports cars on the spot).
    http://www.latimes.com/
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-04-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: network adjustment
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: 'ENTOURAGE' Season 4

yay for the return of Entourage! I love this show, and the timing between Ari and Lloyd is fantastic.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Rock Star Minion

I am also bummed out at the lack of sex on this HBO show. No doubt, they are making it easier prep work for TBS.
    I also noticed that on SatS, there was less sex as the show got more popular, and that the actresses then didn't want to have to show their usually hidden skin as much.
    This one pretty much started out like this.

Meh. I'll watch anyway. It's on after Sopranos.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

I was pleasantly surprised when I finally watched this show a few months ago. But I missed the first half of the fourth season, will it be released on DVD soon?

• Minion

I dumped HBO at the end of the last season of Entourage to save money. Now that it's coming back, it looks like I have to renew my HBO.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Folly View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised when I finally watched this show a few months ago. But I missed the first half of the fourth season, will it be released on DVD soon?
    The 4th season starts next weekend (see above).
    Here's the upcoming DVD info:

Entourage: Season Three — Part One
    Prebook 2/27; Street 4/3
    HBO Video, Comedy, $39.98 DVD, NR.
    Stars Adrian Grenier, Kevin Connolly, Kevin Dillon, Jerry Ferrara, Debi Mazar, Jeremy Piven.

In its story of four childhood friends navigating the treacherous waters of the celebrity scene, “Entourage” works so well because it takes to heart the basic values of friendship and loyalty.

In the third season, up-and-coming star Vince Chase (Grenier) basks in the success of his Aquaman film by refusing to appear in a hurried sequel, then scrambling to find work when his agent, Ari Gold (Piven), alienates half of Hollywood and endangers his chances of starring in a movie about the Ramones.

Piven, of course, won the Emmy for best supporting actor in a comedy series for his role on this show, and his manic pomposity is the main reason to check it out.

Season three also is notable for its instant classic “Vegas Baby, Vegas!” episode, a sinister guest turn from Seth Green as a caricature of himself, and an episode that plays with the idea of couples who make lists of celebrities they are allowed to sleep with if ever they should meet.

Accompanying the Vegas episode is a behind-the-scenes featurette previously available on HBO’s on-demand cable service.

Three episodes feature commentaries with creator Doug Ellin and stars Ferrara and Dillon. They point out some interesting tidbits, but they blatantly admit to hoping for a better review than the “B-” the second-season commentaries scored from Entertainment Weekly.

The set also includes brief recaps of the first two seasons as a quick refresher course.

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=21&image.y=11
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

^Thanks, setting it up in my blockbuster queue right now! I really really wish I had HBO....

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Wooohoooo, can't wait for the boys to come back! Love this show (ok, and especially Arien Grenier ) !

• Circle of Ancients

I tried watching this show a few times, it didn't really do it for me. But I like all the people in the show.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Entourage' men hug it out in a manly way

By Dan MacMedan, USA TODAY
    Bar buddies: The HBO series, with Kevin Connolly, left, Adrian Grenier,
    creator Doug Ellin, Jeremy Piven, Jerry Ferrara and Kevin Dillon, returns Sunday.

HBO
    Betting on success: The boys know their lines.

By Gary Strauss, USA TODAY

Ignore the Hollywood glamour, the celebrity-studded parties, the hot women and the expensive toys. Look past the self-absorbed actors, cutthroat agents and arrogant studio execs.

They're all amusing backdrops and plot points for HBO's Entourage, whose new season opens Sunday (10 ET/PT). But at its core, the comedy about rising movie star Vince Chase and his transplanted Queens, N.Y., homies navigating his ride to A-list stardom is about close-knit relationships, character and camaraderie.

Inspired by Mark Wahlberg and his early Hollywood streetwise posse, Entourage easily could be dismissed as a dumbed-down guy's version of Sex and the City meets Maxim magazine.

"Ultimately, the show's theme is friendship and family," says Entourage creator and head writer Doug Ellin. "The characters may have the bling, but they're grounded guys who look out for each other. That's the backbone of the show. If it was just about fantasy lifestyles, it wouldn't be relatable."

Those core values draw a wide range of viewers. Jerry Ferrara, who plays Chase's marijuana-hazed gofer Turtle, says a fan approached him in an L.A. mall. "She was a little old lady in her 70s. She said it was her favorite show," he says. "It's kind of shocking we've reached that kind of audience."

Entourage averaged 2.5 million viewers last season, reasonable if not blockbuster ratings by HBO's standards. The network hopes the critically and culturally acclaimed series will snag a bigger audience in the coveted time slot behind its high-profile lead-in, The Sopranos.

HBO split Entourage's third summer season into two, holding episodes from last year to air with the Mob drama's final stretch through mid-June, so Entourage could gain new traction for its "official" fourth-season launch June 17.

"The Sopranos' swan song is a rare promotional platform to showcase Entourage," says HBO entertainment chief Carolyn Strauss. "Entourage has a really adamant core audience that's been gathering momentum and awareness."

Indeed, the male-bonding phrase "Let's hug it out …" popularized by Jeremy Piven's maniacal talent agent Ari Gold, became part of the cultural lexicon. When Aquaman, the fictional film starring Chase, opened at No. 1 last season, broadcasters such as MSNBC's Keith Olbermann and CNBC's Joe Kernan jokingly included it in the week's real box office tallies.
    full article at: http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...age-main_N.htm

• Child Star Has Been

How many episodes are they having this session?
    ~Heather~

You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

I am everyone's friend.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

I believe I'd read that there are 8. A friend of mine saw them shooting at Gladstone's in Malibu recently, love those peanuts!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

So much fun to see everyone back and pick up where we left off. How funny was it to see Ari pining away over Vince, and even funnier to see Lloyd coaching him on "fighting for his man". Comic Gold indeed!

The interplay between Carla Gugino's Amanda & Jeremy Piven's Ari were just fantastic, the next ep looks like they'll be at each other throats - good times.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Memoirs of a Gaysian

As Lloyd on 'Entourage,' it's all about serving nasty super agent Ari Gold. Off-screen, Rex Lee is master of his 'incredibly strange' domain.

By Jessica Gelt
    Special to The Los Angeles Times
    April 12, 2007

At your service
    click to enlarge

Paying dues
    click to enlarge

Fetching, faxing, phoning, Xeroxing, dropping off the boss' dry cleaning, picking up his prescription meds — the life of a Hollywood assistant isn't easy. Rex Lee knows; once an assistant himself, he now plays one on HBO's hit series "Entourage."

In a town where real life often bleeds into fiction and vice versa, Lee's portrayal of gay Chinese American Lloyd — abused by his rabid boss Ari Gold (played with razor-sharp acerbity by Jeremy Piven) for, among other things, being gay and Asian — is so uncomfortably on the money he's become a sort of patron saint of boss-badgered employees everywhere. Lee's breakout moment occurred at the end of Season 2 when Ari gets fired from a high-powered agency and Lloyd, in a scene practically ripped from the script of "Jerry Maguire," hesitates about joining him. "Ari, swear to me that you will never again say anything offensive to me about my race or my sexual orientation," Lloyd says under his breath while the whole office awkwardly looks on. "I can't swear to that," Ari replies. "But I promise I will always apologize after."

Actually, we should restate that. It was the first of many breakout moments for Lloyd. Because as Ari Gold has become the unofficial star of the show, so has Lloyd become something of a pop icon — thanks in large part to the idiosyncratic touches Lee brings to the role: the bright ties and baggy-ankled pants, the fast-paced shuffle with head cocked to one side, his puppy dog sulks.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...dlines-entnews