Is Strat Planning Really Dead?

The following is a quote from..

http://www.worldscreen.com/newscurre...me=iger608.htm

The question is...is Strat Planning really dead, or did they just move the same project killers into the business units themselves?

Quote:

Is the process for the approval of capital projects changing at Disney?

Bob's answer:

Yes. We've taken what was strategic planning and moved a number of the senior people into business units to actually create strategies for those business units.

• Rock Star Minion

Strategic planning seemed to be used at Disney to justify Eisner's decisions.
    Buying Fox Family? Eisner wants it, so make assumptions that justify the way too high purchase price.
    Same for Go.com.
    Cut feature animation? Create a mediocre second gate in Anaheim? Numbers can be rearranged to justify these decisions.
    Strategic planning that ignores the core business (theme parks and animation) will tend to gut that core.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I can say from personal experience the strat planning that has existed for the last 10 years has definitely been shaken to the ground. We all just finished working our of 5 year plans- in the past working with Peter Murphy's army was absolutely awful. But this year they have been completely silent. The 5YP under the new regime was actually discussing how do we build more over the next decade... it was actually strategic

Much of the senior mgmt has moved to the business units - so all that is left are a very small staff. I am curious if these new mgrs will be embraced or shunned.. I am guessing the transition will be difficult.

I disagree a little bit with the comment that Strat was only used to justify Eisner's decisions - Fox Family was definitely a justify Michael piece. But then strat would take on completely different projects and keep Michael from hearing a lot of workthat was happening below him. Strat Planning became a gatekeeper and sometimes things happened without Michael ever knowing. Peter was expert at manipulating information to provide Michael with only one viewpoint. Shame on Michael for surrounding himself with these type of executives, but also shame on Strat Planning for growing into that type of group...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by laman6
    I disagree a little bit with the comment that Strat was only used to justify Eisner's decisions - Fox Family was definitely a justify Michael piece. But then strat would take on completely different projects and keep Michael from hearing a lot of work that was happening below him. Strat Planning became a gatekeeper and sometimes things happened without Michael ever knowing. Peter was expert at manipulating information to provide Michael with only one viewpoint. Shame on Michael for surrounding himself with these type of executives, but also shame on Strat Planning for growing into that type of group...
    But just a little bit, right?
    Strat planning, in any company, involves taking a stab at assumptions about the future and modeling the profits against the cost. Those assumptions have to be somewhat close to reality, though. And what-if scenarios have to be created as well for each assumption, to see the risk involved.
    And independent experts should be queried. For example, there's no way that John Hench should be preferring a parking lot to DCA, AFTER it's already been built!

Strat planning breaks down when the executives in charge of strat planning are not experts in the business, but merely experts at strat planning.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I am sorry if I screwed up my point... what I was disagreeing with was that Strat only did Michael's bidding... I think it was worse, strat planning at Disney became an animal unto itself... agree completely with your point that strat planners were experts at planning... They became so removed from the business units -they

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by laman6
    I am sorry if I screwed up my point... what I was disagreeing with was that Strat only did Michael's bidding... I think it was worse, strat planning at Disney became an animal unto itself... agree completely with your point that strat planners were experts at planning... They became so removed from the business units -they
    I thank you for your insight. Good inside stuff there. Keep up the good work, and keep fighting the good fight.