Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    • careful...i'm contagous!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty
    Posts
    2,111

    why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    here me out...

    when jack arrives at port royal in 'black pearl' the dock master walks up to him, at his side is a small black boy. being that it's the 1700's it's assumed that this boy is a slave. so my question is why does disney allow this movie to show slavery and be shown, while in SOS the charcters are freed slaves and it's not shown?

    this is something thats been on my mind for a while
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?



    Ok, now you're not even trying...

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,369

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    What's SOS???


    (only kidding)


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  4. #4

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    1st...I didn't ASSume the kid was a slave. If you did ok, but don't further assume everyone else did.

    2nd...I don't see PotC "showing" slavery except that ONE scene, and I refer to you to #1 in regards to that.

    3rd...SotS wasn't "vaulted" as far as I know for "showing slavery" but because some of the actual subject matter (the "tar baby" is a prime example) could be concidered offensive.

    4th...hasn't this all been discussed in MANY other threads? Don't use PotC as an excuse to drag it up yet again.

  5. #5

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,651

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    ignoring there were slaves at the time would be like sticking your head in the sand and trying to erase history

  6. #6

    • Pirata del Caribe
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pet Sematary.(VENEZUELA)
    Posts
    85

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    Oh my God, more of this stuff. I never see such a worry about this things here XDD
    Wowww, you people really care about sucha things.

    But the racial issue became so popular these days in Mice chat, I wonder why... XD

    But I have to say something again.

    What on earth is SOS? By the way

    And Why on Earth people think the little black boy is an slave?? XDD


    I never in my life saw it that way
    , I see people like that every day and they are not slaves at all.

    Life is that way here, perhaps different from what you know, for a big percentage of population, and there are poor people (of any color if you care so much about skin color) and children has to work that way.

    So perhaps for you we are all " slaves " or something XDDDDDDDD
    Last edited by Puppet_Master; 03-30-2007 at 06:27 AM.
    We don´t wanna be like you. Don´t you get that King of Fools?
    You're the blind to lead the blind.And I walk the wicked way!
    Uno, dos, ya viene por tí
    tres, cuatro, cierra la puerta,
    cinco, seis, mira el crucifijo
    siete, ocho, no duermas aún
    nueve, diez, nunca dormirás...

  7. #7

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,651

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    SOS = someone's short hand for Song of the South (the movie)

  8. #8

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puppet_Master View Post
    Oh my God, more of this stuff. I never see such a worry about this things here XDD
    Wowww, you people really care about sucha things.

    But the racial issue became so popular these days in Mice chat, I wonder why... XD

    But I have to say something again.

    What on earth is SOS? By the way

    And Why on Earth people think the little black boy is an slave?? XDD


    I never in my life saw it that way, I see people like that every day and they are not slaves at all.

    Life is that way here, perhaps different from what you know, for a big percentage of population, and there are poor people (of any color if you care so much about skin color) and children has to work that way.

    So perhaps for you we are all " slaves " or something XDDDDDDDD
    Yes how silly of us to care about history, especially the more unfortunate parts of history...no need to learn from it or anything (dripping sarcasm)

    I do agree in the PotC movie I didn't see that child as a slave. There was indeed slavery at that time but, especially in the Caribbean, being black did not automatically mean "slave." The kid could have been a servant, and apprentice, some kid who worked the docks for coin, who knows.

    SoS is that persons abbreviation for the movie Song of the SOuth which has been vaulted by Disney because some consider parts of it "insensative" to African Americans due to part of it's content. It's been discussed here many times very meticulously.

  9. #9

    • And they call me Mad!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your Mind
    Posts
    10,962
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    This thread sucks.

    Anyway, that kid was a local and the filmmakers thought it would be cool to put him in the movie.

    So, sue them for doing something cool for the kid.

    yeesh.
    What an idiot....

    Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.


  10. #10

    • Scentsy Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In the jungle.
    Posts
    5,902
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    Again....really.

    Song of the South and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl are two entirely different and separate entities, and the issues they address in each are done so in a way that is highly converse from the other. Watch Song of the South, and then after watching that, view PotC again. There really isn't anything to get your feathers ruffled up over.

  11. #11

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    Again....really.

    Song of the South and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl are two entirely different and separate entities, and the issues they address in each are done so in a way that is highly converse from the other. Watch Song of the South, and then after watching that, view PotC again. There really isn't anything to get your feathers ruffled up over.
    Agreed.

  12. #12

    • careful...i'm contagous!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty
    Posts
    2,111

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    why is this thread still going on?

    please as the regretful starter of this thread let it die!

    this topic seemed like a good idea in my head but i'm sorry that i ever thought it would be good typed up so please let it die!
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

  13. #13

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: why is POTC allowed but SOS is not?

    Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    why is this thread still going on?

    please as the regretful starter of this thread let it die!

    this topic seemed like a good idea in my head but i'm sorry that i ever thought it would be good typed up so please let it die!
    That would be a good B-movie..."The Thread That Wouldn't Die!!"

Similar Threads

  1. are DL Cms allowed backstage at WDW
    By Cmash95 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 08:18 AM
  2. Is my work allowed to do this?
    By hollywood1939 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
  3. No one allowed int to DL on 6-23-06
    By HUH? in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 11:09 AM
  4. umbrellas allowed?
    By Beckyloulou in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 11:37 PM
  5. what rides are you allowed/not allowed to take pics in?
    By tigerlaw in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2005, 06:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •