•   
    • Minion

Rick Aristotle Munarriz weighs in on the Robinsons

Rick Aristotle Munarriz weighs in on the Robinsons

March 30, 2007

Motley Fool columnist and Disney investor, Rick Aristotle Munarriz, weighed in on John Lasseter's influence on Meet the Robinsons. He sited what he believed the stakes are. Though not big on the downside because of Disney's diversification, the upside of Lasseter's ablility to transform Disney animation would be owning two premier animation studios that own 100% of the profit from box office that can pull in the same numbers as Pixar's films.

He did quote the New York Times March 4th interview (registration required) with John Lasseter about what Mr. Lasseter felt was his influence on the film... After an initial screening there was a meeting between Lasseter and Robinson's director Stephen J. Anderson that lasted 6 hours, where film critism was voiced. Mr. Anderson was quoted in this NYT article as calling this meeting as, “one of the hardest days of my life.” Munarriz reported that 60% of the film was cut after that meeting.

To read Rick Aristotle Munarriz's column visit the Motley Fool.
    Check out my other blog:

• Correspondent-Editor

Re: Rick Aristotle Munarriz weighs in on the Robinsons

Something to keep in mind when talking about the dramatic story changes made in Meet the Robinsons is that much of that material was stuff mandated by the previous corporate management of the old Walt Disney Feature Animation. Remember, when this film went into production Michael Eisner had decreed ALL creative decisions would be made by "creative executives" and not directors, the story department or animators.

To paraphrase some of the folks who worked on MTR after the Lasseter meeting, "we're de-Daviding (former WDFA pres David Stanton) the picture."

•   
    • Minion

Re: Rick Aristotle Munarriz weighs in on the Robinsons

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Oberleitner View Post
    Something to keep in mind when talking about the dramatic story changes made in Meet the Robinsons is that much of that material was stuff mandated by the previous corporate management of the old Walt Disney Feature Animation. Remember, when this film went into production Michael Eisner had decreed ALL creative decisions would be made by "creative executives" and not directors, the story department or animators.

To paraphrase some of the folks who worked on MTR after the Lasseter meeting, "we're de-Daviding (former WDFA pres David Stanton) the picture."
    After seeing the film, it may not have been "de-Davided" enough - or maybe the more accurate picture is that it tried to turn course too late... It had this sort of "half baked" feeling about the film, like a movie would if it had two directors... One can see this from, on one hand, the Kung Fu segment and lack of truly manevolant antagonist (Doris not withsanding); and on the other hand a sincere attempt to stick to telling the story... (The problem is that the tangents seemed more compelling than the story... I wanted to see more of the Frankie and frogs and less of Wilber...)

The plot however is too postmodern and doesn't rises above the story lines of the genra... I left with the feeling that I have seen this movie before too recently... Whether it be an ephisode of Dr. Who's first season of haitus (the ephisode where Rose goes back to see her father), Blue Sky's "Robots" (simular thematic elements yet it was a better film), and Disney's previous film "Chicken Little."

This is not to say that I think, Meet the Robinsons was a bad film. There are aspects to the film that I like... However, I found it completely forgettable and not a very compelling film... And I had such high hopes for it - I was disappointed because Disney's Animation should be better than what comes out of Blue Sky...

I will say this, I want to see the movie again, because it deals with time travel may have repitition in the plot points that I missed something in the first time around... And the second time I see it, I may have a differant reaction... But for now if I had to give it a grade it would be a C+.
    Check out my other blog: