Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

I finally saw Phantom!!

Phantom of the Opera- that is....Rented it last night- among some other movies.

WOW! Loved it.....my first exposure to the entire story and I just loved it. I am sure that people who know it better or have seen it on stage may have varying opinions but...wow

Rose was dancing with a rose by the end of it- she loved it too. *sigh*

MUST get soundtrack!!
    Last edited by Nephythys; 06-10-2005 at 07:05 AM.

• Hello there

Blog Entries
    I have seen it on stage and saw the movie. I loved both. one of my all-time -favorite musicals. If you ever have the opportunity to see the play, definelty do so. I think it is touring nationally now
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    I've read the book, seen the original silent film and the stage show. For some reason it just didn't captivate me like I thought it would. My cousin saw the stage show 13 times in Toronto and raved about it. When it came to Tampa in 2000 I wanted to go. But when it was over I said, "That's it?!" I guess it was too overhyped and I was expecting alot more.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I am watching it on my laptop at this moment- the words to the songs are just beautiful. The song "Point of no Return" is just...wow

For me..it is wow....but it is not for everyone.

• Circle of Ancients

The movie certainly did the stage show justice, and that's saying alot.

Good movie.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Very- it is rare to be moved by a murderous sociopath and yet my heart simply broke for the Phantom.

and the music? wow

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    I've read the book, seen the original silent film and the stage show. For some reason it just didn't captivate me like I thought it would. My cousin saw the stage show 13 times in Toronto and raved about it. When it came to Tampa in 2000 I wanted to go. But when it was over I said, "That's it?!" I guess it was too overhyped and I was expecting alot more.
    I read the book as a teen after seeing the Lon Chaney film 45 years ago. Several other film versions followed, none very good and then I saw the original London production in the late '80s and the LA production in the early '90s. The latter a dupicate of the original with all the effects. New York and Toronto also had full productions during the initial runs. The LA version moved to San Francisco where it had a long run also and I've never seen it since. All of them were designed to move very seldom and when they were loaded into the theaters, long runs were assured. The touring productions are pared down versions that have to be economical to truck all over the country and set up/break down in a matter of days. Les Miz is another huge show that suffered greatly when it went on the road. They also shortened the running time and cut some of the music.

By the way, the original productions of Phantom are still playing in New York and London.

I haven't seen the latest film version yet. So many scathing reviews of it and it didn't do well at the BO though I'm certain the art direction is superb.

• insufferable know-it-all

I've never really noticed a lack of anything in the touring productions, though to be fair there might have been a smaller Masquerade cast...

If you liked the film, wait till you see the show live! Past the Point of No Return is actually FAR SEXIER in the stage version. And of course, with a Phantom who can actually sing, you really understand how Christine could be "hypnotized" by it.

But the Phantom's inability to sing notwithstanding, the film was fantastic. The acting, especially by the phantom, was great, and don't get me started about the characterization of Carlotta, OMG she was perfect (and completely unlike any other Carlotta I've ever seen).

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Original Mice-Chatter

He couldn't sing?

That is clearly a subjective view.

I about burst into flames myself with "Point of no Return" damn, I want that for my life! LOL I can't imagine it sexier!

Nephy, sweetheart... I'm glad ya liked him.

But you are gonna be BLOWN AWAY when you hear a good singer in the role!

A couple years ago, POTO passed through the music center with (I believe his name was) Brad Little in the title role. First time I've *ever* seen anyone as good as (dare I admit better than?) Michael Crawford - and this is a LOT coming from me!

Trust me, I've seen this show some 14 times with many different phantoms, and the difference between a good phantom and a great phantom is huge, it takes the emotion to a whole new level.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Hello there

Blog Entries
    I am not sure who sang it when I saw it 2 years ago, but it did blow the movie away. Luckily I am fortunate to have seen it in NY, and it is phenominal. If anyone ever gets a chance to come here and see a show, I would suggest this one. I would have also suggest Miss Saigon- biut, no longer playing.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

What's the word on Les Mis? I saw a newspaper cartoon the other day that seemed to be predicated on Les Mis leaving Broadway... is that happening, or was that just the artist's imagination?

• /sigh

Crawford and slew of other broadway Phantoms were definately better than the guy who played Phantom in the movie. The movie is very good, but the play is great! One of the first plays I've saw as a young child, and it still captivates me to this day. (seen it too many times to count). In fact, i have the entire play memorized! I found it very difficult to not sing and quote the lines when I watched the movie! I'm glad they kept it consistant, almost to a T, the the musical. I got goosebumps in the opening song when it transitioned from b+w to color!

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the delving into the history of 'the phantom'. Some things are best kept a secret.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    But you are gonna be BLOWN AWAY when you hear a good singer in the role!

A couple years ago, POTO passed through the music center with (I believe his name was) Brad Little in the title role. First time I've *ever* seen anyone as good as (dare I admit better than?) Michael Crawford
    I have seen Michael Crawford perform in both the London and Los Angeles productions. I enjoyed the show both times but was not that fond of Crawford even though I saw him in "Billy" and "Barnum," two previous shows he did in London.

It wasn't until I saw Davis Gaines in the role in LA that I knew how much the Phantom's role relies on a truly great voice. If anyone ever sees that Gaines has returned to any production of it, make sure you seem him.

To answer another poster: Les Miz went out with a huge bang on Broadway about a year ago. The original production is still running in London after almost 20 years. There's still a touring production in the U.S. and I understand that Cameron Macintosh keeps the standard very high on that production.

• /sigh

Yes, Gaines is wonderful!
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast