Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• On A Disney World Tour...

Disney Straight to Video Sequels are DEAD !

HUUUUUUUUUUUURAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY !

Click for the Article

Just felt like celebrating
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

• Minion

Re: Disney Straight to Video Sequels are DEAD !

God Speed and Good Riddance.

BTW Your avatar is kinda fitting for such an event. At least the way I saw it.

I was an atheist until just a few minutes ago.

• oh bugger

Hopefully all the artist who worked on the sequels will be moved to working on original works and we'll get some good quality original 2d animation.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

"I knew from early on when I first started that we weren't going to be doing 4s and 5s," says Morill. "I think we had a great run, but we have to be fresh and innovative, otherwise we would've gotten stale."
    They were stale from the beginning in my opinion.

• Banned User

Why do streight to video sequals always suck?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I think it's because they are cheap and rushed through production.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Because they screw up the original story. Walt Disney never intended to make sequels to any of his animated movies.....I read that somewhere a year or two ago.

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    They were stale from the beginning in my opinion.

I thought too; when I read that part. I feel that DTV were too carefree compare to the org.. The org are more caring and taking more seriously.

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I think it's because they are cheap and rushed through production.
    and that would be the answer to my thoughts about DTV too.To why they are like that.

• Banned User

I strongly disagree with the contents of that article. The people they interview make it really obvious they are eisner drones that are jealous/angry that they cant make more cheapqels.

If you notice they make several jabs to undermine lasseter saying that he isnt the reason that all these cheap sequels are being cancelled but rather that its hard to get people's attention with animated movies because of stuff like Nintendo Wii and the internet. This is a popular argument that Eisner's people made up in the early 00's whenever something tanked...the truth is if you have a good story to tell people will pay for it. Pirates of the Caribbean was a well made production with a good story thats why it was a sucess...the Wild not so much. So the argument that DVD sales haven't been that great because of competiting entertainment is nonsense.

Then one of the animators said this statement: "I didn't make it for you, I intentionally made a kids' movie." A Kids movie?? Forgive me if im wrong but didn't Walt Disney make an effort to make movies that went above and beyond a "kiddie film"? Didn't he want films for all ages that told timeless tales that would entertain adults and kids. These animators just dont understand they think they are competing with nickalodean making "kids movies" with lots of fart jokes and gross out humor that actually insults a childs intelligence.

Then there was the academy award winner who went as far to say that "Cinderella III is superior to the original" Im not even going to bother with that absurd statement.

Finally, there is Sharon Morill who, along with Jay Rasolu, is the last major Eisner Croonie in the company. Did you guys know that Lasseter screened the new Tinker Bell movie and felt it was a real insult to the original and contained to many gross out fart joke type stuff. So he and some of the younger writers and animators came up with a better more fantasy based story that would be more entertaining for the whole family and instead of embracing this new storyline..Morill decides to fight with Lasseter saying he has no authroity at Toon Disney Studios and that the movie is almost done and needs to be out in time to coincide with the new Pixie marketing line that includes toys,etc. Making a cheap cartoon to sell more merchandise is not the Disney Way and I cannot believe she has the nerve to argue with John Lasseter who geniuenly loves the company and wants to help make it stronger.

Also, in addition to Walt having no interest in making sequels to these stories (he was always interested in making the next big thing not repeating himself) most of these movies were based on classic fables that were never designed to have sequels in the first place!

• On A Disney World Tour...

Well the article wanted to phase out the fact that the cancelation came out from a change of direction that now aknowledge the undermining quality of having sequels that cheap (to remind you the only good disney sequel was toy story, and in the first place it was supposed to be DTV as well...)
    So yeah, they have to find other reasons for the cancelation cuz the truth "we just don't feel like doing cr@p anymore" is kinda non-disney.

I think DTV are doomed because we have to remember that Pixar put aside Walt Disney and the WDC after him are only story teller, in no way they are story maker. Disney productions are always telling a story well known (exept for the very controversial Lion King original story), only with their style and passion. When you make a sequel from an original story, you can sure impose good quality, because after all, the story is yours. But when Disney make sequel, it's out of a very well known story. And it really look like they're stealing characters from a well aclaimed universe. Great sequels are made out of original stories, I think. Disney can only afford that with the pixar franchise, for they are theirs.

My thoughts, in a few confusing words
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52 View Post
    Hopefully all the artist who worked on the sequels will be moved to working on original works and we'll get some good quality original 2d animation.
    I could not agree more.

The really disturbing part of this article is the fact that good animators around the world will be bereft of work due to the lack of imagination and creativity of the Higher Ups who are slaves to bean counters and focus group numbers.
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

i couldn't have been more excited to hear this news!!!

• Banned User

Excuse me while i find a new dream....

finally, if they wanted to make a sequel i didn't mind, but they should have been worth it and not episodes from a failed TV show project like some sequels were.

ok i found dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast