Thread: Magic Castle?

• Senior Minion

Magic Castle?

Giving this a shot here, hopefully it will work out. I would really like to take one of my friends for dinner at the Magic Castle in May. I looked on the website and saw I could become an associate for $910, yet that is a bit on the pricey side for just one birthday dinner (will I also be charged for dinner?). Is there any other way to go about this.

Granted if nobody on here replies I'll just get the membership since it will be my only option, but what exactly is there to do there? Anybody care to share some experiences.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Magic Castle?

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    Giving this a shot here, hopefully it will work out. I would really like to take one of my friends for dinner at the Magic Castle in May. I looked on the website and saw I could become an associate for $910, yet that is a bit on the pricey side for just one birthday dinner (will I also be charged for dinner?). Is there any other way to go about this.

Granted if nobody on here replies I'll just get the membership since it will be my only option, but what exactly is there to do there? Anybody care to share some experiences.
    I've been to the Magic Castle Liz I didn't realize membership is that much now. That's crazy money just for a BD party unless you go there often. I would call them first and see if you can get a cheaper price for membership for a birthday dinner.

• Still lost in Neverland

The only other way is to know someone who has the membership, just like Club 33. This associate thing must be new since I got to go years ago. That time only professional magicians could join. You had to know a member to get invited in. The fellow who played The Lord Mayor at the Renaissance Faire when it was in Augora was a registered member and that's how I got in. It is a nice place and included in your invitation or membership is that after the meal you can go to any of the three theaters to see a real live magic show. The bar downstairs is also filled with magic. There is also a close up magic room where only 10 people at a time can go in and see coin and card tricks while sitting around the table with a close up expert. The food was great, the waiters all wore full tuxedos and white gloves. It was a very memorable evening. But this has to be over 30 years ago, so I don't know how much the place has changed in that time.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

There is another way to get in, Liz, I will PM you.

Wally and I went last month w/his roommate and their friend. It. Was. FABULOUS. The magic acts ranged from great to astounding. My favorite wasn't one of the billed acts but a guy we saw down in one of the rooms in the basement - Shoot Ogawa. He had a bunch of very impressive magicians with him but Shoot stood out. Well, he was their Magician of the year in 2006 and 2003??? so no wonder! If he gets a billing w/i the next few months I AM going back!

The close up room holds about 25ish people in 3 rows. Just awesome to see that up close. The 2 guys we saw did card tricks, mostly. There was a bigger stage that had more table magic - rings and memory stuff.

We ate dinner (which is very, VERY expensive but it was really tasty and
    the drinks were strong) and that got us a ticket to a guaranteed seat to the main stage. It was hosted by one carney magician guys and had 3 performers. They did more of the TV type magic - illusions and such.

Dress is very upscale and dressy. It was fun to dress up! The day we went they were having auditions for new magicians. There's Irma the ghost who plays piano. It was fun times!

I totally recommend this to ANYONE!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Senior Minion

Thanks for your responses everybody! This gives me a better idea of what to expect.

• I have returned !!

I went there on a pass given to a friend of a current member. The member doesn't have to be with you, they can just give you a pass. I am under the impression they get a certain amount a year... not sure of any other way but there might be.
    It is worth the effort to go cause the magic is amazing, just make your reservations at a good time to catch all the little side shows that happen as well.

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

If and when you do this, be sure you are all attired in the proper dress code. Used to be dresses only for the ladies..... no pants or pant suits. I dont know if that has changed, but you will be refused entry if you dont adhere to the dress code.
    I used to have a membership. I would have given you a pass if I still did!

• I have returned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxdad View Post
    If and when you do this, be sure you are all attired in the proper dress code. Used to be dresses only for the ladies..... no pants or pant suits. I dont know if that has changed, but you will be refused entry if you dont adhere to the dress code.
    I used to have a membership. I would have given you a pass if I still did!
    ooooh yes they still have you Keep to the Code.. no pants for laydees..
    cocktail attire or better...

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• Hiding in the shadows

Definitely do dinner (make early reservations) to get seating for the main show because its worth it and the food is actually quite good although expensive, and as others have mentioned def go to the up close show (line ups are just to the left of the front parlor bar), its amazing. The show in the bar downstairs is also fun (actually if I remember right there are two bars downstairs , or maybe I was seeing double.

Something else to consider is if you do dinner there is a photographer that will come around to take pics of your party. I dont rememebr how much it is but if you buy the pics you get passes to come back. And BTW, passes never expire (I used one a while back that was a couple decades old).

Dress should be very nice, coctail dress for women, suits with ties for men, it really gives you the feeling of olf Hollywood going there for the evening.

Oh and make sure you check out the womens bathroom off that first bar when you come in (its to the right if you are facing that bar) next to the stairs, it has a rather different lotion dispenser.