• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Monty Python's SPAMALOT' Gala Premiere in Las Vegas

Saturday March 31, 2007 Wynn Las Vegas

The show was tremendous, painfully funny. The Las Vegas touches are, of course, inspired and the cast led by John O'Hurley was just terrific.

The curtain call found Eric Idle bringing onstage the producers, the Tony & Academy Award winning director Mike Nichols, his co-composer John Du Prez and fellow Pythons John Cleese and Terry Gilliam.

Some of the knights guests included Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Billy Connolly, Diane Sawyer, Geena Davis, Sigfried & Roy, Kevin Nealon, 'High School Musical's Ashley Tisdale, 'Dancing with the Stars's Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Tony Dovolani, Michael Eisner and many more.

Here's my program signed by Eric Idle and "King Arthur" John O'Hurley

As the song says, "Find Your Grail" - and hit the party!

Here's a few shots from the

"The Lady of the Lake' on land

Robin Williams, a man of the people

More on the story at:
    http://www.lvrj.com/news/6826952.html

http://www.montypythonsspamalot.com/
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-02-2007 at 05:19 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• love my friends

Re: 'Monty Python's SPAMALOT' Gala Premiere in Las Vegas

since I live in vegas I have got to see this show

Friends for life

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

April 8, 2007
    [
    THE MOVABLE BUFFET
    Vegas 'Spamalot' has more glitz, takes less time

By Richard Abowitz
    Special to The Los AngelesTimes

THE opening of "Spamalot" at Wynn last week was the sort of over-the-top Vegas night that Steve Wynn is famous for. It was packed with industry stars, including Steve Martin, Geena Davis, Robin Williams and Siegfried and Roy, and Wynn's famous attention to details was fully evident, from the lavish themed after-party that packed a convention ballroom to thinking to turn the traditional red carpet into a cow pattern. "Spamalot" might have started on Broadway, but this was pure Vegas.

John O'Hurley, who plays King Arthur, put it this way: "The Broadway openings I have been to are far more subdued. In Vegas they are focused on the great event."
    Making people aware of "Spamalot" in L.A. is only half of the challenge; the other half is getting them through the doors once they get here. Vegas tourists don't plan ahead. "On Broadway," Haber says, "people buy tickets six months in advance. In Las Vegas you don't have much of an advance."

"Word of mouth is essential to the show," notes Jennifer Dunne, a veteran of more than a dozen years at Cirque and now the vice president of entertainment marketing at Wynn. "Critical reviews won't make or break a show here as they would in another city. In Las Vegas we live and die by what the cabdrivers are saying, what the concierges are saying, and what the people who meet and greet you think of the show."

So, during the weeks of previews leading up to the official opening, Dunne and her staff worked to create buzz by bringing in concierges, hotel sales departments and cabdrivers for "familiarization trips." "Weatherford thinks this strategy has worked: "They have found in the workforce the opinion-shapers. 'Spamalot' seems to have got it just right."

As Wynn says, the goal was never for Vegas to become a Broadway outpost but to maintain an ever-increasing variety of entertainment options. "I think it is important that those of us who are responsible for entertainment in Las Vegas aren't afraid to give the public choice and to give the public real choice so the menu continues to be rich and varied. Not everyone that comes here wants to see Cirque and not everyone wants to see musical comedy. But everything should be here for you to enjoy."

These days, no one in Vegas utters the words "Broadway West." There are no more major Broadway productions scheduled to take up residency on the Strip, for now. But "Spamalot's" splashy opening means that, four Broadway-style musicals are running simultaneously on the Strip. Not Broadway, for sure, but still more than any other street in the country.
    http://www.latimes.com/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Spamalot and Doubt Win Touring Broadway Awards

By Andrew Gans and Zachary Pincus-Roth
    playbill.com
    16 Apr 2007

The winners of the 2007 Touring Broadway Awards — presented by The League of American Theatres and Producers — were announced April 16 at a special ceremony at the Crowne Plaza Times Square hosted by Grey Gardens star Christine Ebersole.

The Awards, which the League established in 2000, are the first national awards to recognize touring Broadway shows. League presenters representing over 240 markets select the recipients.

This year's big winners were Monty Python's Spamalot, which was named Best New Musical; and Doubt, which was named Best Play. Spamalot also took home awards for Production Design and Direction. Last year, Wicked won Best New Musical, and Golda's Balcony won Best Play.

The complete list of 2007 Touring Broadway Award winners follows:

Best New Musical
    Monty Python's Spamalot
    Producers: Boyett Ostar Productions, The Shubert Organization, Arielle Tepper, Stephanie McClelland/Lawrence Horowitz, Elan V. McAllister/Allan S. Gordon, Independent Presenters Network, Roy Furman, GRS Associates, Jam Theatricals, Concert Productions International, Live Nation

Best Play
    Doubt
    Author: John Patrick Shanley
    Producers: Carole Shorenstein Hays, MTC Productions Inc., Roger Berlind and Scott Rudin

Best Production Design
    Monty Python's Spamalot
    Scenic and Costume Design: Tim Hatley
    Lighting Design: Hugh Vanstone

Best Musical Score
    The Light in the Piazza
    Music and Lyrics: Adam Guettel

Best Direction
    Mike Nichols
    Monty Python's Spamalot

Best Choreography
    Ann Reinking
    Chicago

Best Long-Running Musical
    (shows that have been on the road for over three years)
    Chicago
    Producer: Barry & Fran Weissler

Touring Broadway Achievement Award
    (recognizing a performer, individual or organization that has shown exceptional dedication to Touring Broadway)
    Tom Hewitt: Currently starring as Lawrence Jameson in the national tour of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, he has starred on Broadway in The Lion King, Dracula, The Musical, and the revival of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, for which he received Tony and Drama Desk Award nominations.

Touring Broadway People's Choice Award
    (A new category allowing members of the League's Broadway Fan Club to cast votes for their favorite touring show online)
    Wicked

For more information visit www.touringbroadwayawards.com.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107380.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Wow! Thanks for sharing your Spamalot premiere story with us. That must have been very cool to get your program autographed by Eric Idle and John O'Hurley. I saw the London version last year and may have to make the road trip to Vegas to see this one. Thanks again for your report and for posting those pics!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thank you! I share a mutual friend with Mr. Idle so it was quite a treat to chat him up at the party. Such a warm, sensitive and yes, funny man!

• Again! Again! Again!

I am soooo wanting to see this show! I had the pleasure of meeting John O'Hurley a few times. Chatted up with him. Nice guy and so funny! I would love to see him in this role!!

Thanks for sharing Diane!!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4 View Post
    I am soooo wanting to see this show! I had the pleasure of meeting John O'Hurley a few times. Chatted up with him. Nice guy and so funny! I would love to see him in this role!!

Thanks for sharing Diane!!!
    Go and find your Grail - in Las Vegas & thanks Ms. K!