Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast

• Old Timer

Song of the South to be released?

I heard an announcement this evening on KABC that there is talk of finally taking Song of the South out of the vault.
    This is the ABC station, should they should have good sources.
    Has anyone else heard anything about this?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Song of the South to be released?

'Song of the South' Re-Sparks Controversy

Film Has Been Blasted as Racist for Years

ENTERTAINMENT

Apr. 3, 2007 - (KABC-TV) -
    Disney's 1946 movie "Song of the South" has been locked in the company's vaults for decades, never released for home viewing in the United States, even though it won an Oscar for its song "Zip-a-dee-do-dah" and for inspiring the "Splash Mountain" rides at Disney's theme parks.

For years the film has been blasted as racist for the way it depicts Southern blacks. The primary character, Uncle Remus, is seen as a servile happy-go-lucky simpleton bubbling over with "ain't nobody's," "ain't nevers," and "you tells ems" ... a stereotype that, for many, dangerously glamorizes the harsh reality of post-slavery America.

"That film is racially demeaning, insulting and it's offensive. It's a painful reminder of our past when blacks were depicted as buffoons," said civil rights advocate Najee Ali, who is glad the the film has been locked up all these years and wants it to stay that way. "The Disney Corporation is going to find out very soon that if they do release this film that African-Americans will be outside protesting that bringing back up that painful reminder is a slap in the face to our ancestors."

Despite the potential backlash, Disney chief Bob Iger is considering releasing the film, saying: "There were depictions in the film that, viewed in today's world, might not be viewed as kindly or as politically correct as perhaps they may have been in that time. But we have decided that we would look at it again."

Niger Innis, from the Congress on Racial Equality, is well aware of the film's rocky history with blacks. "James Basket, who was the first live black actor hired by Disney, could not go to the premiere for this film in Atlanta because he could not get a hotel room that would let him sleep for the night because of segregation," said Innis.

However, unlike Ali, Innis believes Disney has been wrong to block the movie. He does want the studio to release the film, as long as it's accompanied by special features to educate fans.

Should Disney ultimately decide to put the film on DVD, the title stands to become very profitable.

"This was my first item," said Christian Willis, who has spent the last decade collecting anything and everything related to "Song of the South." He says the film's fan base is massive.

"I would say that there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who are hopeful," Willis said. More than 118,000 people have signed a petition now located on Willis' Web site urging Disney to make the move. "They all want to see this movie released and don't see anything wrong with it."
    For now, fans and foes will have to wait and see if Disney puts "Song of the South" on store shelves, or once again, decides that would be a "zip-a-dee-do-don't."

Disney is the parent company of ABC7.
    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ent&id=5180993
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

A news story without any real news...

I have a feeling Disney may be testing the proverbial waters and preparing people for any potential controversy.

The fact that Disney has broadcast this story through KABC seems quite promising.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Just do a search for "song of the south"
    (click on "search" at the top bar)

There are a few topics that go into detail
    of Iger answering that question, for the
    2nd year in a row at the shareholders
    meeting last month.

Iger said they would look at that question
    again. SO there is NOTHING really to
    report on the status. Iger's sitting on it,
    and you probably won't get any further
    word on it, at least not until NEXT years
    annual shareholder meeting, when someone
    else is bound to ask the question again,
    which will lead to another version of
    "duck the question" will be given by Iger.

yeah, we're exhausted by the games Disney
    is playing with this movie. . . . like I said,
    do a search, and you'll find plenty of comments,
    and frustration.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

The problem is and always has been that the people who don't want the film to be seen will always be the most vocal. It's much harder to stand on your soapbox in favor of something then it is to stand against it.

The only thing that really bothers me is that the more you magnify the faults of a thing, then it becomes the only thing you see. No one talks about the main plot of the movie, which is about a bear, a fox and a rabbit. We all localize and focus in on the narrator who has, what, ten minutes of screen time max? I could be off, but I saw the movie as a youth and barely remember Uncle Remus. Might have forgot him altogether had it not been for the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah song.

What's funny is, I heard these same complaints about Morgan Freeman's character in Driving Miss Daisy. For some reason, we've become real sensitive about the slang and cultural expressions of previous generations. I can't speak for the generation Song of the South depicts, but I used to spend a lot of time with a gentleman from Driving Miss Daisy's era. This man didn't even own a TV and certainly didn't care about going to the movies or things of that nature, but he was the living embodiment of Morgan Freeman's character, right down to the way he pronounced "store". And he was no buffoon.

I can't help but feel that Ali is only looking for trouble here. After all, shouldn't we be the one's to decide if something is inappropriate or not for ourselves? Personally, I find his insinuation that Basket's portrayal of Uncle Remus was that of a bumbling buffoon somewhat disrespectful, if not a whole different kind of racist.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Niger Innis, from the Congress on Racial Equality, is well aware of the film's rocky history with blacks. "James Basket, who was the first live black actor hired by Disney, could not go to the premiere for this film in Atlanta because he could not get a hotel room that would let him sleep for the night because of segregation," said Innis.
    FYI - The KABC transcript is incorrect, it's actually James Baskett.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Old Timer

Please, let's not get into this racist/not again. We will never all agree. I was simply looking for information. Thank you Aladdin for answering my question.

• Minion

That stereotypical description of James Baskett's performance as Uncle Remus had to have been written by someone who has never seen the film. He is nothing like that. - - and why not mention his Oscar for the role?

• Pilot EdForceOne

ugh.. will this story just DIE already? Good lord.. every week another media outlet picks up on the SAME OLD NEWS from comments.. what.. a month ago? I swear each of these outlets is just reading the other guys story from last week and decides to make their own.

Nothing has changed except comments made at the share holder meeting.. ugh!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    What's funny is, I heard these same complaints about Morgan Freeman's character in Driving Miss Daisy. For some reason, we've become real sensitive about the slang and cultural expressions of previous generations. I can't speak for the generation Song of the South depicts, but I used to spend a lot of time with a gentleman from Driving Miss Daisy's era. This man didn't even own a TV and certainly didn't care about going to the movies or things of that nature, but he was the living embodiment of Morgan Freeman's character, right down to the way he pronounced "store". And he was no buffoon.
    Living in the southern United States, I must agree. I have not always lived here. I have met plenty of wonderful, intelligent people who speak, well, like Southerners.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ugh.. will this story just DIE already? Good lord.. every week another media outlet picks up on the SAME OLD NEWS from comments.. what.. a month ago? I swear each of these outlets is just reading the other guys story from last week and decides to make their own.

The ONLY possibility of the question of this topic EVER dying
    is AFTER Disney FINALLY releases SotS on video.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

I must agree. How many "first" stories have their been on The Frog Princess?

This is a good web site that seems to keep up-to-date on everything Song of the South...

http://www.songofthesouth.net/home.html

...and also has many interesting facts about the film and the controversy surrounding it, and even a nice section on Splash Mountain.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I must agree. How many "first" stories have their been on The Frog Princess?
    Larry Wilmore on The Daily Show covered it:

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherl...&is_large=true

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Larry Wilmore on The Daily Show covered it:

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherl...&is_large=true

As funny as that was, it wasn't quite what I was refering to. The details of The Frog Princess (traditional animation, black princess, 1920s setting) have been out for at least a year. I'm not privy to any inside information, it all came from news articles. Despite that, almost every month there was a new article about the film and people, even many long timers here, were "OMG!".

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast