Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Re: Frightening New Statistics For Roller-Coaster Lovers

Yeah. Goliath pulls some heavey duty G's. The helix at the end is hardcore and the part where most black out. The last time I rode it in the hot sun I got VERY light headed and disoriented and was able to pull myself together enough to make it out of the exit.

As far as the comparisons to Mission:Space Let's just put it this way; Mission: Space aint got nothin' on Goliath.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, it's not the drop, it's the Helix. To put it bluntly it's the most intense element of any coaster I've ever been on. And I've ridden Kingda Ka and other pretty intense coasters.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Both my partner and I had incidents on Goliath. Nothing severe, and it certainly wasn't a hydration problem.

We blamed it on the fact that we're really tall. Our center of gravity is different than the average person that the ride is made for. And with that, the G -forces are at a different distribution, which results that the blood has a harder time going up to the head as we move down that perilous drop.

I'd be interested in seeing the heights of these people. Weight also changes your center of gravity as well.

We didn't pass out. We did have a massive dizzy spell however after wards. Stars in the eyes kinda thing.

Peace.
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Circle of Ancients

^ Otherwise known in the "Coaster Community" as a brown-out. It's happened to me on Goliath as well.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I like Goliath and, when at SFMM, will go on at least once... often several times. It's a really fun and intense coaster. I really would rather have shoulder restraints instead of the lap bars. There are some very high tilty parts that are a little scary. I'd rather enjoy the Gs and stuff and not have to actually consider the possibility of falling out. (I know I'm probably REALLY not going to fall out, but I'd just rather not have to ever think about that.)

Regarding the helix at the end, both Vic and I (and pretty much everyone we've ridden with) have a tiny, momentary "brown out" at the end. Very slight and very strange. I don't mind it, really.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• no flash photography...

when i went on goliath I was very dizzy afterwards. I even commented on how they must be making us stay on the train longer, because people can't walk after....

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Yeah, that's really smart - put over the shoulder restraints on Goliath so everybody who isn't faded out by the G forces can get bashed in the head for no reason whatsoever...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I love goliath. Probably one of my favorite coasters in the park. And yah, I like the weird knee restraints because it makes it scarier but you're more free.

Disneyland has way more shade than MM and the temperature difference is astounding.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

I really should not have read this,

now I'm scared. And I'm going in May.

• Fastest Man Alive

I love Goliath. It's not scary, it's just fun. However, it is a beast. That helix at the end, I'm sure where I heard it from but the G-Forces there go above 4+ Gs, that's rough stuff- it causes me to start to black out. It feels awesome, but I can really see that if someone had a medical problem, it would wreck them.

• Directly directed

It's the roller coasters. It's only 100 people out of how many thousands who rode it? Not everyone adjusts well to the speed or the altitude which causes those people to pass out. Roller Coasters can also cause headaches in some people. I think it just depends on the person just like Mission Space affects some people and others not at all

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    I really should not have read this,

now I'm scared. And I'm going in May.
    Just make sure you drink LOTS of water, and you'll be fine.

Magic Mountain is definately not for the faint of heart, but that is the nature of the beast- Both Goliath and Cedar Point's Millenium Force both caused me to experience a Brownout. CP's Top Thrill Dragster won me a free EKG. A day at Disney costs me a killer chafe.

Then again, Magic Mountain also has the most comfortable coaster I've ever ridden in Tatsu.

Also, Magic Mountain was very wise in making itself an alcohol free park.

Get there early, drink plenty of Water, bring some baby powder and get out as quickly as possible. If you plan it right, you can do the park in 3-4 hours- I know. I did it and was out of there by 1:00 a few sundays ago.

And then I went drinking at El Torito.

JS

I hadn't realized the coasters were making people pass out. I was there just after Tatsu opened, and a girl in line passed out but nobody seemed to have a problem with the coasters.

MM does need more shade.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Things to realize about this story:

-One, this information has been provided by a group that goes out of its way to find this stuff to get some free publicity. Check out this print source that used the same people: http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_5587890. Notice how their Goliath "black out" occurred on the lift and then ask yourself what pray tell is someone doing on a coaster if they blacked out on the lift, you have a lot more problems if the 5 mph lift with 1 G causes you to black out.

-Two, I guarantee that most of these situations are "grey outs." Whats the difference? During a black out you lose consciousness, a grey out you only lose your eyesight (starting from the periphery and going inward.) Grey outs are caused by dehyrdation + heat + g forces, plain and simple, having experienced a few myself when I was stupider I drink plenty of fluids when Im in a park on a hot day. Since I made that change I havent experienced any (even though Ive been in parks when the temps are close to 100.)

At the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that Im a coaster enthusiast and have never ridden Goliath, so that does make me a biased source. However, just wanted everyone to know that this story is based on information from another biased source.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast