Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Frightening New Statistics For Roller-Coaster Lovers

http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/H...Y&pageId=1.1.1

Valencia -- There are some frightening new statistics for thrill seekers who love roller-coasters; particularly the “Goliath” at Magic Mountain.

In a report that really is a long time coming, FOX news in Los Angeles reports on some incidents at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Reports are coming out that more than 100 people last year passed out after riding Goliath and Tatsu. Could this be because of the rides themselves, or because of the extreme heat and people not hydrating themselves enough?

Lots of reports of ride-operators talking on Cell-Phones while operating rides. This is something that has been reported for years at more than just Magic Mountain. Park officials must know this is going on and have yet to make any changes to this act.

Will the fact that this report has come out change any of the actions of employees or result in more safety considerations on rides?

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: Frightening New Statistics For Roller-Coaster Lovers

I went on Goliath and a whole bunch of other coasters there when I went exactly three years ago and I never fainted. People probably did not hydrate themselves in that heat. I saw that news report also about how people have come out of Tatsu with nose bleeds, etc. I haven't gone on the ride myself but honestly, how many of the many riders have nose bleeds and faint?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

You also have to question any medical conditions some of the riders might have without knowing it. Many riders go on rides like this and sometimes pass out due to a medical condition they never knew they had. Remember the young boy that died on Rock'n'Rollercoaster? No one even knew he had any heart problems until after it was too late.

So, unknown medical issues can also cause people to pass out on rides like this, it's another thing to throw into the pile.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    You also have to question any medical conditions some of the riders might have without knowing it. Many riders go on rides like this and sometimes pass out due to a medical condition they never knew they had. Remember the young boy that died on Rock'n'Rollercoaster? No one even knew he had any heart problems until after it was too late.

So, unknown medical issues can also cause people to pass out on rides like this, it's another thing to throw into the pile.
    Yes, there was also a woman who died on Goliath who had a brain anuerysm (sp?) but no one knew she had it and they couldn't blame Six Flags for it.

• Minion

I see people faint all the time at SFMM, especially in lines. I purely believe it's lack of hydration.

• Quality not quantity

Passing out? Nose bleeds? Now that sounds like entertainment! I gotta get a trip to six flags planned!
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Mr Clinks you beat me to it. I just read this in the paper today. Not surprising really.

• Senior Minion

According to Theme Park Insider:

In the United States, no official source is keeping a complete national record of theme park accidents. And in many U.S. states, including Florida, theme parks are not legally required to report accidents involving injury to anyone.

• Circle of Ancients

^ In California, where SFMM is DOSH is doing that.

As for the story, I seriously think that most of the issues with people passing out are hydration issues.

As for the ride-ops talking on cell phones, etc ... well, that happens ALL the time.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Magic Mountain is HOT. The lines aren't properly shaded. They have misters, but they don't help. There are NO INDOOR rides. Everything is outdoors.

Six Flags needs to start making the park more comfortable. I'm young and can handle it, but I don't know how much longer I can take it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I love Goliath, but my husband almost divorced me for making him ride it. I think its probably a combination of hydration issues and the extreme drop (its a least 2 G's isn't it?)

I do think it has a lot to do with lack of shade at MM- I have waited in line for HOURS there, and all the unpainted concrete just makes it worse. Planning is definitely a must in these situations. I hadn't heard those statistics before, very interesting......

Oh, and if 100's of people had been fainting on a ride at Disneyland, we would have heard about it, I bet.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Reports are coming out that more than 100 people last year passed out after riding Goliath and Tatsu. Could this be because of the rides themselves, or because of the extreme heat and people not hydrating themselves enough?
    I know that hydration is a big problem, particularly at So Cal... As a kid, I know that I had problems in the climate going to themeparks... As a tourist, I have difficulty dealing with the taste of the So Cal tap water unless it is REALLY cold... Of course bottled water wasn't available when I was a kid... And now bottled water costs as much as a coke at themeparks - so people choose soft drinks over water...

The problem with drinking coke is that soft drinks more often Diaretics, which makes the hydration problem worse... It would be nice to see "dirt cheap" bottled water at theme parks. Or fountains with decent filtration systems... Culligan sponsored of course....
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I've gone on Goliath , once. And that one time,
    the person next to me blacked out . They were
    able to exit the coaster when it stopped, but
    the g's on Goliath certainly accounts for many
    unreported medical situations, that have little to
    do with the rider, and more with the extreme
    nature of their "X-treme" coaster park.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Six Flags is in desperate need of more shade. The location of the park is extremely arid and hot...and there isn't a single tree or anything else to help give relief to guests. That's part of the reason why I don't like going there.

• love my friends

my son almost blacked out on golaith as well. he is healthy as a horse (he was 16 at the time.. he said everything just went black

Friends for life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast