• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Walt Disney Studio in Burbank - Do they give tours?

I am almost finished reading the new bio on Walt and would really love to see the studio he built in Burbank. Do they ever give tours? I know Pixar does from time to time, but this is the studio I most want to visit.

Thanks for the information in advance!

• Queen of Sarcasm

Re: Walt Disney Studio in Burbank - Do they give tours?

I don't think they offer tours but I could be wrong. I know when I worked there one of the perks was being able to go to the Studio and being able to get in with CM ID. I never did but I know a lot of people did this. They used to go around lunchtime and eat in the commisary with everyone that worked there.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    I don't think they offer tours but I could be wrong. I know when I worked there one of the perks was being able to go to the Studio and being able to get in with CM ID. I never did but I know a lot of people did this. They used to go around lunchtime and eat in the commisary with everyone that worked there.

One more reason I wished I lived in Burbank.

The Walt Disney Studios does not offer tours to the public (ala Universal). You could not just walk onto the lot.

However they do some private tours from time to time. You have to be invited.

• Banned User

WDS is the only Studio in the Hollywood area that doesn't offer a tour.

I'm sorry.

• Do I seem familiar?

The Warner Bros.' lot offers a paid tour, as well as a VIP paid tour if you would be interested to visit a studio in general. I hear the VIP tour is around the $100 range, which seems pretty expensive to me. I like the idea of potentially bumping into an actor, but that's about a day's work!

A member of the general public can potentially get onto the lot by obtaining tickets to a television show that is being produced there.

At the moment, I don't believe any shows are, but I could be wrong.

• Drunk On Disney

from seeingstars.com:
    But before you despair, there is are two roundabout ways to get into Disney Studios (short of getting a job there as an animator):
    • 1. Get tickets to a live taping of one of the few sit-coms that are taped at Disney Studios. Recently, such shows as such as "8 Simple Rules," "My Wife & Kids," "Less Than Perfect" and "Home Improvement" were taped there, Contact "Audiences Unlimited" to see if there are any shows taping there right now. If so, with ticket in hand, you'll be able to breeze past the guarded gates and see at least some part of the fabled studio.
      2. I am told that one day a year, in November or December, Disney Studios opens up for an annual Disney's Magic Holiday Faire. It will cost you a $4 to get in, but it will allow you to stroll around most of the studio grounds, plus you'll have an opportunity to buy the hand-made holiday crafts on sale from 250 vendors, pose for photos with Disney costumed characters (and Santa), try your hand at cookie decorating, enjoy food booths,and see Christmas films in the studio's special theatre. Often scheduled for Saturday in November, usually from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the general public.
    The studio's normal business hours are Mon Fri: 8 AM - 6 PM.
    (Incidentally, if you would like to see a few mementos from the early Burbank days of Disney Studios, visit the nearby Gordon R. Howard Museum, located at 1015 W. Olive Avenue (at Lomita Street) in Burbank, where you'll find posters, early Disney sketches, animation cells and lots of photos from classic Disney productions.)
    Getting there: Walt Disney Studios is located in Burbank
    Also, Disney is not the only studio that doesn't offer tours:
    Henson Productions, CBS Television City, ABC, 20th Century Fox and a few others also are not available for the touring public.

If you want to go on a studio tour, I recommend Universal's tour at their theme park. It's truly the best bang for your buck. Next to that WB is pretty good... as long as you are a Gilmore Girls fan. Much of the backlot is currently used for that show.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

or you could always hire into being a disneyland cast member and get in that way. I went a few months ago and wondered the lots with my friend, we went mainly to see the disney archives but it was fun nonetheless!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sweetie, the info you found is great. I may have to take a trip to California when they have their open house. That sounds too good to be true!

• Gobble GOBBLE

I actually did get a brief tour of the Walt Disney Studios once. It was a bit impromptu, and to be honest, we didn't see all that much. It was actually more of a business thing, so I had to try to play it cool, and not geek out too much. Nice place, but really not all that exciting.
    That was wonderful! Bravo! I loved that! Ah, that was great! Well, it was pretty good. Well, it wasn't bad. Uh, there were parts of it that weren't very good though. It could have been a lot better. I didn't really like it. It was pretty terrible. It was bad. It was awful! It was terrible! Take 'em away! Boo! Boo!

I had to try to play it cool, and not geek out too much.
    I was fortunate enough to be invited, to help promote Herbie, and I really had to keep from geeking out.