Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Sweeney Todd

I remember seeing the original production with Angela Lansbury, and it was incredible. I also remember the famous version the Yale Rep did--they had long wicker cages throughout the theater, filled with rats.

Unfortunately, the NYPO production with Patti Lupone and Bryn Terfel never came to pass. Maybe one day.

My favorite "Sweeey" story, though, comes from the Davis Musical Theater Company, which is run by an old and very dear friend of mine. The first time they produced it, he served meat pies at the intermission. Now that's theater!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Brilliant! Perhaps the Patina Group will come up with their own version for the Ahmanson.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Cut: Christopher Lee and Ghosts are Nixed from "Sweeney Todd" Film

By Ernio Hernandez
    Playbill.com
    22 May 2007

Christopher Lee and a number of other characters have been cut from the upcoming "Sweeney Todd" film starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter.

A DreamWorks Studios representative confirmed reports that the ghost characters — including Lee's "Gentleman Ghost," as a previous release titled his role — have been cut from the film.

The new "Gentleman Ghost" character raised many inquisitive eyebrows when Tim Burton's film cast was announced, since the stage musical does not employ such a character. Lee, speaking to London's Telegraph who broke the story, saw the bright side: "It would have been worse if I had done the scenes, but I never got to film them. It's a shame as the lyrics were wonderful, but these things happen."

The film would have marked the actor's fourth collaboration with director Burton — following his work on "Sleepy Hollow," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and, in voice, on "Corpse Bride."

The DreamWorks Studios/Warner Bros. film adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical is penned by John Logan ("The Aviator," "Gladiator"). Work is underway at London's Pinewood Studios for the film, which is slated for a Dec. 21 limited release with a wide opening on Jan. 11, 2008.
    "I've always wanted to do a musical and Sweeney Todd is my favorite," said Tim Burton in the release. "Stephen's blend of humor, horror and emotion is something that has always connected with me."

Sondheim joins the director in his enthusiasm. "Sometimes a story or stage production has to wait a long time until the right people come together to turn it into a motion picture. That's what has happened with Sweeney Todd and I'm excited as well as confident that it will be a first-rate and startling movie."

Sweeney Todd follows the story of a wrongfully imprisoned barber in Victorian England who sets out to seek revenge on the judge who imprisoned him. The stage work features a score by Sondheim and a book by Hugh Wheeler based on the play by Christopher Bond.

Burton returns to his familiar casting pool with Depp (the duo have previously teamed on "Edward Scissorhands," "Ed Wood," "Sleepy Hollow," "Corpse Bride" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory") and Carter (seen in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Big Fish," "Planet of the Apes" and in voice on "Corpse Bride"). Depp takes on the title role with Carter as piemaker Mrs. Lovett.

The film will also feature Alan Rickman (Private Lives, the "Harry Potter" films) as Judge Turpin, Timothy Spall ("Harry Potter") as Beadle Bamford and Sacha Baron Cohen ("Borat," "Talladega Nights") as Signor Adolfo Pirelli
    Rounding out the cast are Laura Michelle Kelly (Fiddler on the Roof) as the Beggar Woman, Jamie Campbell Bowen as Anthony, Jayne Wisener as Johanna and newcomer Ed Sanders as Toby. "All the stars will do their own singing from Stephen Sondheim's music and lyrics," according to the announcement.

The production team includes director of photography Dariusz Wolski ("Pirates of the Caribbean"), production designer Dante Ferrati ("The Aviator"), costume designer Colleen Atwood ("Memoirs of a Geisha," "Chicago"), hair and make-up designer Peter Owen ("The Lord of the Rings") and editor Chris Lebenzon.

The film is produced by Richard D. Zanuck, Walter Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and John Logan.
    Sweeney Todd originally opened on Broadway in 1979 starring Len Cariou (as Sweeney) and Angela Lansbury (as Mrs. Lovett) — both earned Tony Awards for their performances. Harold Prince directed the production, which took home the 1979 Tony for Best Musical. Subsequent revivals have starred Beth Fowler and Bob Gunton (1989 on Broadway), George Hearn and Patti LuPone (2001 concert), Brian Stokes Mitchell and Christine Baranski (2002 - Kennedy Center) and the recent revival with Michael Cerveris and LuPone.
    The score includes such tunes as "The Worst Pies in London," "Johanna," "Pretty Women," "A Little Priest," "By the Sea" and "Not While I'm Around."
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/108247.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Tim Burton "Sweeney Todd" Film Sets Up Shop on the Web

By Ernio Hernandez
    Playbill.com
    18 Jun 2007

The upcoming "Sweeney Todd" film, directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp, has set up shop on the internet.

A place holder for the official website that is "coming soon" has been posted at sweeneytoddmovie.com. Fans can currently sign up for updates on the film and site's progress.

The official synopsis for the film follows: "Johnny Depp and Tim Burton join forces again in a big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's award-winning musical thriller 'Sweeney Todd.' Depp stars in the title role as a man unjustly sent to prison who vows revenge, not only for that cruel punishment, but for the devastating consequences of what happened to his wife and daughter. When he returns to reopen his barber shop, Sweeney Todd becomes the Demon Barber of Fleet Street who 'shaved the heads of gentlemen who never thereafter were heard from again.' Joining Depp is Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney's amorous accomplice, who creates diabolical meat pies. The cast also includes Alan Rickman, who portrays the evil Judge Turpin, who sends Sweeney to prison and Timothy Spall as the Judge's wicked associate Beadle Bamford and Sacha Baron Cohen is a rival barber, the flamboyant Signor Adolfo Pirelli.
    The DreamWorks/Warner Bros. film adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim-Hugh Wheeler musical is penned by John Logan ("The Aviator," "Gladiator"). Filming has completed on the film, which is slated for a Dec. 21 limited release with a wide opening on Jan. 11, 2008.

"I've always wanted to do a musical and Sweeney Todd is my favorite," said Tim Burton in the release. "Stephen's blend of humor, horror and emotion is something that has always connected with me."

Sondheim joins the director in his enthusiasm. "Sometimes a story or stage production has to wait a long time until the right people come together to turn it into a motion picture. That's what has happened with Sweeney Todd and I'm excited as well as confident that it will be a first-rate and startling movie."

Burton returns to his familiar casting pool with Depp (the duo have previously teamed on "Edward Scissorhands," "Ed Wood," "Sleepy Hollow," "Corpse Bride" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory") and Carter (seen in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Big Fish," "Planet of the Apes" and in voice on "Corpse Bride"). Depp takes on the title role with Carter as piemaker Mrs. Lovett.

The film will also feature Alan Rickman (Private Lives, the "Harry Potter" films) as Judge Turpin, Timothy Spall ("Harry Potter") as Beadle Bamford and Sacha Baron Cohen ("Borat," "Talladega Nights") as Signor Adolfo Pirelli.

Rounding out the cast are Laura Michelle Kelly (Fiddler on the Roof) as the Beggar Woman, Jamie Campbell Bowen as Anthony, Jayne Wisener as Johanna and newcomer Ed Sanders as Toby. "All the stars will do their own singing from Stephen Sondheim's music and lyrics," according to the announcement.

The production team includes Tony Award winners Jonathan Tunick (orchestrator) and Paul Gemignani (musical supervisor) as well as director of photography Dariusz Wolski ("Pirates of the Caribbean"), production designer Dante Ferrati ("The Aviator"), costume designer Colleen Atwood ("Memoirs of a Geisha," "Chicago"), hair and make-up designer Peter Owen ("The Lord of the Rings") and editor Chris Lebenzon.
    The film is produced by Richard D. Zanuck, Walter Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and John Logan.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/108913.html

• Comin' at ya!

I'm looking forward to the movie version of sweeny todd with JD...My favorite actor!! He has such a great vibe, and his acting skills are great! I love how he never really seems to play the same character twice (except for pirates of course). He isn't like Nicholas Cage who seems to play the same kinda person in each movie...He has a completely different attitude in each of his roles
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

• Minion

Blog Entries

ok, thats just awesome looking....

ya'll say sleepy hallow, but i see more From Hell....oooooooo

quote=ALIASd;1997728][/quote]

Loved it live; not sure what I think of a movie version.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

A new still:

DreamWorks

•   

Great pics!!!
    They totally remind me of his house in Edward Scissorhands though!! Damn I love Tim Burtons vision.

• my two sunshines

I absolutely LOVED this play - love the music - I'm going to love Depp and Carter in this! And I'm so looking forward to Dark Shadows - I guess most will be sleeping with their windows open and necks bared!!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Sweeney Todd': R-Rated Movie Will Go Wide at Christmas

Word is, some clips from Sweeney Todd may emerge at the Venice Film Festival. Meanwhile, reports The Daily Mail's Baz Bamigboye, Burton has been ordered to slash some of the gore from Sweeney Todd. It's normal for a movie to be cut down from its rough cut length. The question is, how happy is Burton about reducing the blood? And is this article describing a hard R-rated film that Warners and/or DreamWorks wants to cut down to a softer R?

SUNDAY UPDATE: DreamWorks has always said it was an R. Anyone who knows the show knows that it involves killing and meat pies.

MONDAY UPDATE:
    My sources say that the issue of cutting back the violence is "wild rumors." Neither studio has seen the whole film; it won't screen until the third week of September. But as a measure of their enthusiasm, on the basis of all that they have seen and the strength of their marketing materials, the studios have decided to release the movie wide at Christmas instead of limited at Christmas and wide in January. That suggests they expect robust holiday business. As for the violence, the movie is what it is. That's not going to be the issue.
    http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononhollywood/

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    A new still:

DreamWorks
    Love it

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Sweeney' gets Christmas premiere

Johnny Depp musical to open Dec. 21

Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter star in
    helmer Tim Burton's musical 'Sweeney Todd,' to be released at Christmas.

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety
    August 28, 2007

Johnny Depp will be singing in time for Christmas -- everywhere.

DreamWorks and Paramount have decided to go wide with director Tim Burton's bigscreen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's Broadway musical "Sweeney Todd" on Dec. 21, versus a platform release.

Original plan was to give the film a limited bow on the 21st and then go wide on Jan. 11, the thought being that "Sweeney Todd" is less commercial and less accessible than most musicals because of its darker storyline. Along those lines, a platform opening would provide a chance to build buzz.

However, when DreamWorks execs began seeing clips from "Sweeney," they realized it had far broader appeal, particularly with Depp starring as the revenge-seeking barber of Fleet Street who uses his blade in gruesome ways to seek justice for the deaths of his wife and child.

The hope is that "Sweeney" will be the sort of signature role for Depp that Captain Jack Sparrow in Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise was.

DreamWorks and Warner Bros. are partners on "Sweeney," with DreamWorks/Paramount handling domestic. Warners will release the musical overseas. The studios believe "Sweeney" will work as a holiday pic.

Also opening wide on Dec. 21 are Disney's sequel "National Treasure: Book of Secrets"; Warner Bros.' dramedy "P.S., I Love You," starring Gerard Butler and Hilary Swank; and Sony laffer "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story," penned by Judd Apatow and Jake Kasdan, who directed. Limited releases include "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly."

"Sweeney" producer Dick Zanuck and Burton already had been pushing for a wide bow, expressing concerns that a platform release could give the impression it was an arthouse title.

At the same time, DreamWorks and Paramount aren't likely to go out with "Sweeney," which is expected to receive an R rating, on more than 1,500 screens. At least that's the thinking at this point.
    (Anne Thompson contributed to this report.)
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Biennale Cinema 64th Venice Film Festival “Tim Burton Day”:
    Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement to Tim Burton

Some sequences of Sweeney Todd and the Digital 3D version of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas are the special events of the “Tim Burton Day”. The 64th Festival’s Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement is to be awarded to Tim Burton by his long-standing colleague, Johnny Depp.

The screening of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas in the new Disney Digital 3D version, and a world premiere of some sequences from the eagerly-awaited Sweeney Todd are the special events planned for the “Tim Burton Day”, to be held on Wednesday 5th September.
    On that day, Johnny Depp will hand the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement to the American director Tim Burton, awarded by the 64th Venice Film Festival (29th August – 8th September 2007), directed by Marco Müller and organised by the Fondazione La Biennale di Venezia, chaired by Davide Croff.

Two years after the world premiere of Corpse Bride on the Lido, Tim Burton returns to the Festival to receive the 2007 Golden Lion for lifetime achievement. To pay homage to one of the boldest, most visionary and innovative of American film-makers, able to charm and fascinate the widest of audiences, the Venice Film Festival has organised a special “Tim Burton Day”, to be held on Wednesday 5th September. The programme will include not only the awards ceremony in the Sala Grande at the Palazzo del Cinema, but also the world premiere of some sequences from Burton’s latest film, the cinema adaptation of Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler’s prize-winning musical-thriller, Sweeney Todd. Sweeney Todd is co-produced by Warner Bros Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures, and stars Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Jamie Campbell Bower, Jayne Wisener and Sacha Baron Cohen. The film will be released in the United States on 21st December 2007, distributed by Paramount, and in Italy in early 2008, distributed by Warner Bros Pictures Italia.
    http://www.labiennale.org/en/news/ci...n/77865.1.html

Tim Burton Day set for September 5th - 3/21/07
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ton+day+venice

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast