Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Sweeney Todd - General Discussions

does anyone know if this is gona come to LA I want to see it?
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• my two sunshines

Re: Sweeney Todd

I thought you were talking about the movie Johnny Depp is starring in and producing - saw pics of him on TMZ - sorta reminds me of Sleepy Hollow

Anyways - I didn't think Sweeny Todd was back in the US for a theatre run? It was on Broadway last year and thats the last I heard of it- Patti Lapone (LOVE HER!) starred

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Ahmanson Theatre Mar 11 - Apr 6, 2008

WINNER!
    2006 Tony Awards
    Best Direction of a Musical
    Best Orchestrations

“THE MOST ADDICTIVELY DELICIOUS DISH ON BROADWAY IN YEARS!!”
    Time Out New York

Innovative, intimate and ingenious, this revolutionary new production of SWEENEY TODD originated in London and was the most talked-about show by Broadway audiences last year.

Directed by Tony Award®-winner John Doyle, this dazzling reinvention of a magnificent musical thriller—where the band of devilish characters are all musicians—is set to stun Ahmanson and Mark Taper Forum theatergoers as never before.

The legendary demon barber, hell-bent on revenge, takes up with his enterprising neighbor in a delicious plot to slice their way through London’s upper crust. Justice will be served—along with lush melody, audacious humor and bloody good thrills.
    “THE GREATEST MUSICAL of the past half-century has returned in a staging of the utmost force and originality!”
    The Wall Street Journal

“A THEATRE-LOVER'S FEAST. A riveting experience that grabs you by the throat and holds you awestruck till the end.”
    NY1 News

Ahmanson season ticket Bonus Option - Four Weeks Only!
    Sweeney Todd at the Ahmanson Theatre will be part of the Mark Taper Forum 2007-08 subscription season. Ahmanson Theatre subscribers will have first priority for tickets after Taper subscribers have been seated.
    http://www.taperahmanson.com/tickets...l.aspx?id=2556
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

i wonder who will be playing sweeney todd and mrs. lovitts.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Last time I saw it with Kelsey Grammar, Christine Baranski, and Neil Patrick Harris. So. Very. Cool.
    A signature should go here.

is the movie gona be a musical?
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Banned User

Sounds outstanding! I wonder if it's headed to Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    is the movie gona be a musical?
    yes

thats interesting the last time johnny depp was in a musical he didn't use his voice for the songs...not that there was anything wrong with crybaby
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Minion

Blog Entries

lol
    at first i was scared to hear he was doing a musical, mainly because he was iffy about wonka, thinking he'd have to sing, lol

but then i remembered, his whole career started cause he was in a band so maybe it will be ok....we'll see

• Earth Intruder

YAY! I can't wait to see this live. The Johnny version will hopefully be cool, but I know the stage version is freaking fantastic... thanks for posting the info!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• my two sunshines

He looks like he did in Sleepy Hollow - same kind of clothing (with knives on his belt tho) and his hair wild with a gray streak

Johnny can sing, he is still in a band - they just played somewhere (TMZ had a picture of him playing the guitar and singing) and it was in People magazine too

It's a great story - directed by Tim Burton starring Helena Bohnam Carter and Johnny Depp - Alan Rickman, Christopher Lee, Sascha Baron Cohen, Timothy Spall (Wormtail in Potter), Anthony Head (Buffy Vampire Slayer teacher), are also starring - looking good!

Johnny Depp is going to be in Sin City 2 - he will be so great in that! What a twisted character he can be!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Trac View Post
    Johnny can sing, he is still in a band - they just played somewhere (TMZ had a picture of him playing the guitar and singing) and it was in People magazine too
    He's not actually still in a band, but was nice enough to fly in for and perform at that benefit event. See link:
    Johnny Depp rocks Pompano Beach, FLA - People 1/29/07
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...=pompano+beach

His last actual band was based here in Los Angeles called P.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

when tickets go onsale we should try and sechudle a date for a bunch of MCer's to go
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

ON THE RECORD: Sondheim Reissues of Sweeney Todd
    and Merrily We Roll Along

By Steven Suskin
    Playbill.com
    15 Apr 2007

This week's column discusses the Masterworks Broadway reissues of the original cast albums of two landmark Stephen Sondheim-Hal Prince musicals, Sweeney Todd and Merrily We Roll Along.

*** SWEENEY TODD [Masterworks Broadway 82876-68639]

If forced to name my most-frequently-listened-to Sondheim recording, I suppose it would be a tossup between Company and A Little Night Music. If asked for my favorite Sondheim musical, or my favorite recording of my favorite Sondheim musical, or my favorite recording of any musical of the 1970s, or the 1980s of 90s – well, need I go on? With the merger of the old Columbia and RCA catalogues, the new Masterworks Broadway label has seen fit to give us remastered versions of the Sondheim original cast albums originally released by RCA. (Company and A Little Night Music received similar treatment in 1998, from what was then Sony Broadway.)

So here we have the original Broadway cast album of Sondheim's 1979 masterpiece, or masterwork if you will. I needn't praise Sweeney Todd at this point in time; it is to be assumed that most readers of this column are already familiar with the score. There might well be a few who know the show only from more recent recordings, such as John Doyle's Tony Award-winning revival or the Patti LuPone/Philharmonic version. To those of you I say, yes, you really ought to add the original to your collection; there is nothing, in my opinion, like it. The performances, by Angela Lansbury, Len Cariou, Edmund Lyndeck, Victor Garber, Ken Jennings, are astoundingly good. The playing of the 26 piece pit orchestra (augmented by 14 for the recording) — under the direction of Paul Gemignani, with composer Sondheim and orchestrator Jonathan Tunick in close attendance — cannot be bettered.

It is easy enough to say that this new Sweeney Todd is unquestionably recommended to anyone who does not already have the recording. The question at hand, I suppose, is whether those who already have the first CD release of this album ought to run out and buy the new one. My answer is a resounding yes (unless Sweeney for some reason sits on your shelf unplayed). Digital remastering can be a tricky game, sure. The 1990 CD is more than satisfactory, but this enhanced one is — not surprisingly — brighter and clearer. Felicitous touches in Tunick's orchestration are brought out, as are all those emotion-gripping moments which now really shake you.

I love my Sweeney, and I love this new one even more.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107313.html

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast