• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Actor, Renaissance man Roscoe Lee Browne has died

Roscoe Lee Browne has died at 81

A truly wonderful actor whose storied career included Walt Disney Productions, 'The World's Greatest Athlete', 'Oliver & Company' and 'Treasure Planet'. His instantly recognizable voice was featured as the narrator of George Miller's, 'Babe'. I had the opportunity to meet him on two different ocassions, both times coincidently at The Smoke House in Burbank across from Warner Bros. Studios, holding court amongst other actors, writers and friends. He projected a nice peacefulness around him and I found him to be genuinely warm and stately at the same time. His contributions are fabulously varied and memorable, he will be missed.

Read more on this story at:
    Emmy winner, Tony nominee Browne dies
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...c68d65a5abf4f4

• Goofy

Re: Actor, Renaissance man Roscoe Lee Browne has died

Rip

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

As you indicate, ALIASd, he did so many things well. The "elevator" scene with Carroll O'Connor's Archie Bunker, which also included a young Puerto Rican couple giving birth, was an absolute classic.

I also loved "Topaz" and I don't think I've ever seen John Wayne described quite that way before...

May Mr. Browne indeed "rest in peace".

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Daly, Fishburne Organize Roscoe Lee Browne Memorials for April 22

By Zachary Pincus-Roth
    Playbill.com
    17 Apr 2007

Celebrations of the life of the actor Roscoe Lee Browne, who passed away April 11 at the age of 81, will be held in both Los Angeles and New York April 22.

In New York the event is arranged by Tyne Daly and will be held at Saint Charles Borromeo Church at 241 West 141st Street at 6 PM. Daly will be joined by the author Maya Angelou, the actor Campbell Scott and others.

In Los Angeles the event is arranged by Laurence Fishburne and is at the Mark Taper Forum.

Brown appeared on Broadway in Two Trains Running in the role of the mentally challenged Holloway, for which he was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play (but lost the award to Fishburne). His other Broadway and Off-Broadway credits include My One And Only; The Blacks; Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright; The Ballad of the Sad Café; Benito Cereno; The Old Glory; and the New York Shakespeare Festival productions of Julius Caesar, King Lear and Troilus and Cressida. In 1981, he appeared in his own play Behind the Broken Words at the American Place Theatre with Anthony Zerbe, and the pair toured the country in the play for many years.

Browne had a long television career, guest starring on such shows as "All in the Family," "Maude" and "Soap." He won an Emmy Award for his guest spot as Professor Foster in "The Cosby Show" in 1986. Browne played Polonius in a 2000 TV movie version of Hamlet, directed by and starring Campbell Scott. His many film roles include the narrator in "Babe" and "Babe: Pig in the City."
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107395.html