Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

The Magic-al Port of Los Angeles

The Disney Magic takes up a large portion of the cruise terminal. It can very easily be seen from the Vincent Thomas bridge, and viewed from Ports o' Call village as it sets sail to the Pacific.

Here is Frodo Potter about 5 minutes prior to departure.

Magic-al Drinks

Cocktails are available for $4.75, only $2 more for a larger drink and you get to keep the acrylic "glass" as shown in the photo below.

DCL also features a different "Drink of the Day" each day for $3.50, and has a 2-for-1 margarita special on Thursday.

All of the drinks use top-shelf liquors (none of that cheap stuff!), and are quite large in size. Non-alcoholic "smoothies" are also available for a cheaper price. A 15% auto-gratuity is also added to each drink to cover the tips for the bartending staff who receive no wages besides tips.

On DCL, soda is free, except at bars and clubs. The Magic features a self-service 24-hour "Beverage Station" located on Deck 9 aft as shown below.

The beverage station offers sodas, hot chocolate, coffee, juice, and a variety of teas, all free of charge.

Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, a Magic Life for Me!

Tuesday night was "Pirates *in* the Caribbean" theme night! All restaurants joined in the fesitivities by presenting each guest with a red pirate scarf and a "treasure map" menu. Frodo Potter and I were prepared for this evening and packed our pirate garb from ren faire. Arrrrrrr!

The servers were also decked out in pirate attire, and performed a conga line/limbo throughout the restaurant, and encouraged guest participation.

Here was our head server waving the "official" flag.

Later that evening, upon leaving Puerto Vallarta, there was a huge party and show on Deck 9.

We carried our Captain Kermit and Captain Mickey plush, arranged so that it was Mutiny on the Magic!

Captain Hook and his "bad" pirates invaded the ship, including a pirate who dropped from a zip line between the two stacks.

The characters came to our rescue by "blasting" Captain Hook with fireworks! The show lasted about 5 minutes, and was launched directly from the Magic. The were so large and close, you could feel the heat from them as they burst!

There was also a late evening buffet on deck that included the best turkey legs ever, plus numerous desserts, fajitas, crepes, and chili! The set-up was completely themed and amazing.

The Magic of Beauty

The Magic is definitely the most beautiful ship on the seas. Here she is, parked behind the Carnival Pride in Mazatlan.

We blew our horn twice while passing them when we left port. Keep in mind the Magic's horn is very distinct and blares the first seven notes of "When You Wish Upon a Star". (It sure gives me chills when I hear it.) They waved back at us and also sang the "Mickey Mouse Club March" in response. At least they were good sports about us being on the "cool" boat.

A Perspective Moment

After passing the Carnival Pride in port at Mazatlan, we passed a large group of local citizens who came out just to see the Magic. Young and old came out to witness us leaving port, and even took pictures. Children waved and jumped, while others just looked on in awe. To me, this was a sobering moment of a real perspective - how lucky we were to be experiencing the dreams that so many will never see happen. It brought me to tears, because all I could think about is how I wish they could all have been on the ship also. And here they were, to wish *us* a Bon Voyage. I actually have this photo in a very hi-res format, and can even see some of the facial expressions on the people. Some were smiling, and some just had that look of inspiration and hope of dreams.

Home Sea Home

The Magic is just like having a home away from home. I even forgot what our real home looked like within the very first day of the trip! I kept saying that I felt SO at home on the Magic, that I never wanted to leave.

Upon our surprise when returning from a shore excursion, it turns out that Disney feels the same way as I do, and placed a special banner over the gangway.

• e komo mai

Love the pics! Did you eat at one of the restaurants that is all about Disney animation? I heard that was way cool.

I wish I could do cruise ships, I really do. But I got sick on the Queen Mary a couple of years ago. That's how bad my inner ear is...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Love the pics! Did you eat at one of the restaurants that is all about Disney animation?
    Yep! That would be Animator's Palette. You rotate between 3 restaurants for dinner, dining at each one twice, and one of them a third time on your final night. I'll try and post the Animator's Palette photos today or tomorrow.

Formal Night

Sunday night was Formal Night, and everyone was decked out in their finest, including the characters. Many photo ops were available with several different backdrops, for both professional portraits and self-photos.

Here we are just outside the Walt Disney Theater before the "Golden Mickeys" show.

And here's another shot, taken in the main atrium on Deck 3. The entrance to Lumiere's is directly behind us.

I made my dress using a classic renaissance pattern, but with a bit more "modern" flair.

• insufferable know-it-all

Are those those beaded leather shoes from the fabric district I spy on your feet? Cool!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Are those those beaded leather shoes from the fabric district I spy on your feet? Cool!
    Yep - 'cept I got 'em at the market place in downtown Long Beach. They're comfy, but you have to soak them in water first so they'll conform to your feet.

(Erg. I just noticed I really needed to pull the back of my skirt down. That's what I get for taking pictures *after* dinner.)

• Gay Man

Did they get easier to wear after a good soaking?

• e komo mai

<----Green with envy, baby! Man, it looks like you guys had a wonderful time! Cheers to you both!

Great to hear about your experience! Our family is leaving on the July 2nd cruise so we are trying to plan ahead for what to expect. We've been on the 4 day Carribean cruise twice and never left the ship except for Castaway Cay But are looking forward to going ashore for at least two ports this time. Did you do any of the shore excursions and what did you think of them?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast