• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Spider-Man' Musical from Taymor, Bono & The Edge

This sounds way better than the old USH's 'Spider-Man Rocks!':

Spider-Man Musical to Take Gotham in Upcoming Reading

By Ernio Hernandez
    Playbill.com
    16 Apr 2007

A reading of the new musical Spider-Man will take place in New York City July 12 and 13, Playbill.com has learned.

A casting notice reveals the "29-hour rehearsed reading" will begin rehearsals July 2 for the two-day event.

As previously reported, Julie Taymor will direct the forthcoming musical version of the Marvel Comics hero with music provided by Bono and The Edge of the band U2. According to the notice, Glen Berger — playwright of Underneath The Lintel and The Wooden Breeks — will join Taymor on the book. (Neil Jordan — of "The Crying Game" fame — had previously been attached.) Taymor consistent collaborator Matthias "Teese" Gohl ("Across The Universe," "Frida," "Titus") will serve as musical supervisor.

The comic giant Marvel Entertainment will share producing credits with Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle and Martin McCallum.

Taymor made history in 1998 as the first female director to earn the Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical for the Broadway musical The Lion King — albeit mere moments after Garry Hynes became the first woman to win a Tony Award for Direction (for The Beauty Queen of Leenane). She also earned the Tony for Best Costume Design that night as well. The multi-genre director has lined her resume with Broadway credits (Juan Darien and The Green Bird), film work ("Titus" and "Frida") as well as opera productions ("Oedipus Rex" and the Metropolitan Opera run of "The Magic Flute").

Among the roles being sought to fill are the young-man-turned-hero Peter Parker/Spider-Man ("male, late teens to early 20's...[with a] great pop/rock voice") and love-interest Mary Jane ("female, late teens to early 20's...[with a] great pop/rock voice") as well as villain Norman Osborn/Green Goblin and Daily Bugle publisher J. Jonah Jameson (both call for "male, 50s.")

The character breakdowns provide some insight to plot points as the character Arachne ("female, 20-35 years old, any ethnicity") is described as "a beautiful, boastful young woman turned into a spider for her hubris and lack of respect for the gods. She subsequently appears to Peter Parker and the audience as in turn a powerful spider-woman who comes from another time to inspire Peter; an otherworldly lover; a bride; a terrifying (and sexy) dark goddess of vengeance; a dance partner in a charged and violent spiders dance of death; and, finally, a lonely, fragile young woman." Casting is seeking a "strong Celtic, Balkan style, e.g., Sinead O'Connor," noting, "outside the box ideas are welcomed. Could be someone from the music industry."

Also, a "Geek Chorus" consisting of "three teenage boys and one girl" are described to "meet to ritualistically retell the greatest Spider-Man stories."
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107378.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

Re: 'Spider-Man' Musical from Taymor, Bono & The Edge

Interesting..... Not sure that I'm necesarily excited about such a production, but I'm certainly curious.

• Huh?

Should be good.... I admire Julie Taymor's work.

Her as a person, though, I can't stand.
    -Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Was she horribly rude to you at your last meeting?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Huh?

Never met her. It's just every interview and such that I've ever seen of her, she just has a very snobbish demeanor, as if everybody and everything is a waste of her time. And I can't stand people that has that rich better-than-you attitude (you know, the kind that you'd think only exists in cartoons?).

But I still love her work.
    -Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

I had the opportunity to do some work for her film 'Frida' and found her and her husband composer Elliot Goldenthal to be nothing but smart, generous with their time and completely professional.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    I had the opportunity to do some work for her film 'Frida' and found her and her husband composer Elliot Goldenthal to be nothing but smart, generous with their time and completely professional.
    Interesting... that's not quite the person that she has portrayed herself to be on things such as the Titus DVD.
    -Tim

• Shablagoo!

Ick, Why am I reminded of that episode of Batman Beyond with the Batman musical. And they are inventing their own villian? PU.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The U2 fan in me just wants to hear what kind of music Bono & The Edge come up with.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The U2 fan in me just wants to hear what kind of music Bono & The Edge come up with.

Oh yeah! Me too!
    I want my cake back!