Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Could Disney be planning to build a Theme Park in Branson? - News Article

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...60/1007/NEWS01

A request for road improvements for a $1.1 billion theme park in Newton County has led to new speculation about the Walt Disney Co.'s interest in southwest Missouri.

Rumors that a Disney attraction was coming to Branson were rampant in the mid-1990s. Now, Newton County Commissioners are investigating whether Disney could be linked to a theme park proposal made earlier this month.

Jerry Carter, Newton County Presiding Commissioner, said the notion arose after Todd Marshall, who said he represented a Springfield company called ARM Risk, attended the April 12 commissioners' meeting. Carter asked about changes on county roads leading to the location the company is considering for a theme park.

A list of specifications Marshall gave the commissioners included first-phase construction costs of $1.1 billion, land purchases of 1,000 acres with the park taking 100 acres, six hotels, 95 shops, 27 rides, 12 stages and 18 restaurants.

"We want to be cautious and careful," Carter said. "We live in an opportunistic world and sometimes things come along we can't even conceive of."

A possible Disney connection was raised when commissioners checked the company owners. On a form called "Registration of Fictitious Name" filed with the Missouri Secretary of State's office in March for ARM Risk, three owners are listed. Corporations routinely file such forms.

The owners are Michael Hill of Wilmington, Del.; Robert Brown, who lists his address as 500 South Buena Vista St., Burbank, Calif.; and Jason Johnson, who lists his address as Corporate Office, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Re: Could Disney be planning to build a Theme Park in Branson? - News Article

Yeah, right. Then again, Disney is known for doing stupid things these days.

• May the F=ma be with you

Hasn't this rumor been around for a couple of years? And why would they purchase land under false identities and state their address of that of WDW HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Hasn't this rumor been around for a couple of years? And why would they purchase land under false identities and state their address of that of WDW HQ?
    Because this is the government we are dealing with. Yes, you can file a "Registration of Fictitious Name" but you are required to use your real name/address on the form.

I hope it is Disney. Ultimately I think the only real way to reduce over crowding at Disneyland is to give as many people as possible a closer alternative.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• If We Can Dream It...

Well, I would sure enjoy it; seeing as it would only be a few hours (driving) from me. Of course, with it being near branson, I might go insane from the "folk" hanging out at the park.

BTW, doesn't 6 hotels seem like over kill? I would of thought they would be a little more hesistant ever since DLP but then again, if this park is plopped down in the middle of nowhere people might eat the hotels up.
    - Horizonsfan

Rumor of new Disney Park?

First of all let me say I'm not entirely sure which forum this technically goes under so if it's misplaced I apologize. Here is my story. My husband works in phone-based tech support for Time Warner cable. While on a call Friday he mentions that he is going to Disneyland this summer. His customer replies that his neighbors just sold ten thousand acres of land in Bastrop, Texas to Disney. The customer goes on to say that maybe it will be a new park because what else would Disney do with that much land. Now, I'm not that informed when it comes to Disney history but I do know when Disney started buying land for WDW it was under psyeudonyms. But I don't know why they did that or if they would use that same procedure again. Living in the southwest part of Texas myself I think I would have heard something if a large tract of land was purchased by Disney. Anyway I'm fairly skeptical at this point but the story is only once removed from the source and I would like to be optimistic given how much I love Disney. So I write to everyone that reads these forums or might have contacts within Disney to see if anyone can contribute or dispel this rumor. If it turns out to be bogus I apologize to everyone who got their hopes up of a new park.

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Rumor of new Disney Park?

There has been evidence in the past of Disney buying 'random' parcels of land to spark interest, and then to sell them on when prices have gone up to make profit.
    Or it could be one of Disney's new non-resort hotels.
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Quality not quantity

In that part of Texas, Disney would not need to use the pseudo companies because they would not have to deal with multiple sellers. You can buy a 10,000 acre plot all at once from any number of ranchers. Large open space ain't that hard to find in Texas.

Disney does have a history in Texas. Back in the 80's they were putting out feelers, looking for permits etc... for a possible "development" outside of Dallas. Unless that was just one of the land pricing deals Speedway mentioned.

Between Branson and Texas Disney could be quit busy...
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

It'd be interesting if they did build in Texas. Frontierland would certainly be diminished to nearly nothing though. It's kinda like how popular the castles are here in the U.S. We love them because we've never had castles before. In DL Paris they are all in LOVE with frontierland because they've never really experianced the cowboys, settlers, and western atmosphere like America.

The most popular land I would think of, in Texas, would be Antarticaland.

• Banned User

Total urban legend and rumor. It never dies.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter13 View Post
    It'd be interesting if they did build in Texas. Frontierland would certainly be diminished to nearly nothing though. .
    For sure. I mean that would be like putting a California themed park in California.....

-Mark Twain

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Nevermind.
    Last edited by AlexLoup; 04-23-2007 at 05:24 PM.

I would certainly hope that if Disney does ever plan another American destination that they pick a state like Missouri over Texas. No offense to any Texans, I just think that if they wanted to build a park to increase their visitor base it would make sense to travel northward. I think especially with the current and historical costs of fuel it would be better to bring the parks to the people, as opposed to bringing people to the parks. Just a thought.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    I would certainly hope that if Disney does ever plan another American destination that they pick a state like Missouri over Texas. No offense to any Texans, I just think that if they wanted to build a park to increase their visitor base it would make sense to travel northward. I think especially with the current and historical costs of fuel it would be better to bring the parks to the people, as opposed to bringing people to the parks. Just a thought.
    I agree. Though it would be REALLY conveniant for me (a Texan) if they built it here in Texas, a far better place would be middle-north. We have California on the West (and more on the Southern side), and Florida way down there South-East.

Then again, it might just be over-kill to have three... There's a point where the company just wouldn't care anymore if they had too many parks to run....(see WDW)

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter13 View Post
    Then again, it might just be over-kill to have three... There's a point where the company just wouldn't care anymore if they had too many parks to run....(see WDW)
    That's very true, but having WDW doesn't seem to bother Disneyland any. I think that diverse resort destinations may have better luck than a completely saturated singular destination. The target audience for a Missouri park would be the folks who would be more willing to go to a Disney park if they could drive or camp, as opposed to cross-country drive or fly.
    Last edited by DoppelV; 04-24-2007 at 10:26 AM.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast