• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Shrek' The Musical

Staged Reading of Shrek Scheduled for Summer 2007

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    24 Apr 2007

Shrek will have a staged reading this summer in NYC.
    photo by Dreamworks Animation
    As the third "Shrek" film, which is appropriately titled "Shrek the Third," is about to hit movie theatres nationwide, comes word that a staged reading of the Broadway-bound musical Shrek will be in held in Manhattan this summer.

A casting notice reveals that the readings — produced by Dreamworks Animation/Neal Street Productions — will be presented July 23-Aug. 3. Avenue Q's Jason Moore will direct the readings of Shrek, which features music by Tony Award winner Jeanine Tesori and a book and lyrics by recent Pulitzer Prize winner David Lindsay Abaire.

The casting notice is seeking actors "of all cultural backgrounds" for the roles of Shrek, Donkey, Lord Farquaad and Princess Fiona.

The most recent reading of Shrek was held Feb. 23.

As previously announced, Tony Award winner Tim Hatley (Private Lives, Spamalot) will handle sets and costumes while Tony-nominated Hugh Vanstone (Spamalot, Bombay Dreams) will cover lighting for the eventual full production of the musical.

Based on a William Steig children's book, the green ogre-with-a-heart character has been featured in "Shrek" and "Shrek 2"; the third chapter, "Shrek the Third," is scheduled to be released in theatres May 18.

DreamWorks Animation's first venture in legitimate theatre, the developing production was initiated by Jeffrey Katzenberg and Sam Mendes when the studio made a first-look deal with Mendes' producing entity, Neal Street Productions, Ltd.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107575.html
    'Shrek' staged reading set for February 2007 - 10/23/06
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ek+the+musical
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: 'Shrek' The Musical

Ugh, I am so sick of Shrek. But hey, whatever brings in the money, I guess.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

That's why he's green.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Cha-ching!
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

I Want to Be Shrek (and Donkey) on Broadway!

NEW YORK, May 1 /PRNewswire/ -- SHREK, the new Broadway-bound musical,with music by Jeanine Tesori, book and lyrics by Pulitzer Prize-winner David Lindsay-Abaire, and directed by Jason Moore, is looking for a Shrek and a Donkey to star on Broadway!

Produced by DreamWorks Animation and Neal Street Productions, Ltd.(principals Sam Mendes and Caro Newling), the SHREK creative team is planning a two-week reading this summer (July 23- August 3rd) in New York which will be followed by a Broadway opening in 2008!

The creative team is seeking male performers of all cultural backgrounds for these roles.

SHREK: 20s - 30s. An ogre. His imposing physical appearance disguises a warm heart. A lonely outsider with soul, strength, and wit. Values his peaceful solitary life in the swamp. Seeking actors with a powerful presence and strength with true Rock or R&B voices. Preferably a baritone.

DONKEY: 20s - 30s. A performer with a contemporary, urban edge and great humor. Joins Shrek on his journey to capture Princess Fiona. Seeking unique performers especially from slam poetry, comedy, Hip Hop worlds or clever actors with great comic skill.

Anyone, no matter how Far Far Away, can try and audition for these roles! If you or a friend think you have what it takes to play Shrek or Donkey, follow the directions below:

1. Make a video recording of yourself singing one song and copy it on to a DVD. (No lip-syncing please -- must be live!) Please clearly label the DVD with your name and contact information.

2. Take a photograph of yourself and print it out, or if you have one, send a copy of your headshot.

3. Put together a resume or list of background experience and, VERY IMPORTANT, your contact information -- including address, phone and e-mail.

4. BY SNAIL MAIL send items 1, 2 and 3 to:
    DreamWorks Animation
    I Want To Be Shrek
    PO Box 2693
    New York, NY 10108
    YOU MUST SUBMIT THIS MATERIAL BY FRIDAY, MAY 18, 2007
    KEEP COPIES OF ANYTHING YOU SEND.
    The DVD and any other materials you send in will be retained by and will become the sole property of the Producers, and will not be returned to you whether or not you are considered for a role. The Producers are not responsible for lost, stolen,or incorrectly mailed materials. The Producers will not be able to answer questions about the receipt or status of any materials.

For updated information please go to: http://iwanttobeshrek.com/

For those living under a rock in a swamp: Based on a children's book byWilliam Steig, the character of Shrek has been featured in two major animated films to date. The first Shrek feature film hit theaters in the Summer of 2001, and went on to win the first-ever Academy Award(R) for Best Animated Feature. In 2004, DreamWorks released a sequel, Shrek 2, which went on to become the highest-grossing animated film of all time. The next chapter of the Shrek story, Shrek the Third, hits theaters this May 18,2007.
    http://www.prnewswire.com/

• Circle of Ancients

Personally I LOVE Shrek (see avatar) and don't understand why he get's bashed so much. I mean, the hype for Shrek is NOWHERE near the hype for pirates.

But this may be going too far.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Perhaps its the constant Disney bashing these films seem to be unable to exist without. 'Third' has an overload of it.

• Circle of Ancients

See, as a Disney fan, I LOVE the Disney Bashing. I mean, who can deny that "Itchy and Scratchy Land" wasn't one of the best episodes of the Simpsons EVER.

If we can't laugh at ourselves ...

But, like you said, 3 has ALOT of it. There certainly is too much of a good thing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    See, as a Disney fan, I LOVE the Disney Bashing. I mean, who can deny that "Itchy and Scratchy Land" wasn't one of the best episodes of the Simpsons EVER.

If we can't laugh at ourselves ...

But, like you said, 3 has ALOT of it. There certainly is too much of a good thing.
    I prefer the Duff Gardens one....but I&S Land is a great one too.

And I have nothing against Disney bashing...it's one of the reasons I love the Simpsons. I just never really saw the appeal of the movie. I think it is too overrated for my tastes. But then again, Pirates 2 was the same way.

I just don't think the movies are that memorable. I mean, I don't even remember the first or second movie to want to see the thrid.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Open Auditions for the New Musical Shrek on Broadway in Los Angeles on Wednesday, June 20

LOS ANGELES, June 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SHREK, the new Broadway-bound musical, with music by Jeanine Tesori, book and lyrics by Pulitzer Prize-winner David Lindsay-Abaire, and directed by Jason Moore, is seeking Rock Singers & Hip-Hop performers to audition for the parts of Shrek and Donkey.

Auditions in Los Angeles will be held on Wednesday, June 20. Sign up will be from 10:00-11:00AM at Screenland II, 10501 Burbank Blvd. Produced by DreamWorks Animation Live Theatrical Productions and Neal Street Productions, Ltd. (principals Sam Mendes and Caro Newling), the SHREK creative team is planning a two-week reading this summer in New York which will be followed by a Broadway opening in 2008!

The creative team is seeking male performers of all cultural backgrounds for these roles.
    SHREK: 20s - 30s. A performer with a strong presence and dynamic rock voice.
    DONKEY: 20s - 30s. A performer with a contemporary, urban edge. Seeking unique performers, especially from slam poetry or hip hop. Should have a great R&B voice and great comic skill.

Please bring a rock or R&B song with sheet music. A piano accompanist will be provided.

Anyone, no matter how Far Far Away, can try and audition for these roles!

For those living under a rock in a swamp: Based on a children's book by William Steig, the character of Shrek has been featured in three major animated films to date. The first Shrek feature film hit theaters in the summer of 2001, and went on to win the first-ever Academy Award(R) for Best Animated Feature. In 2004, DreamWorks released a sequel, Shrek 2, whichwent on to become the highest-grossing animated film of all time. The latest chapter of the Shrek story, Shrek the Third, is now in theatres.

For all other questions:Visit http://iwanttobeshrek.com/
    SOURCE DreamWorks Animation

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Why do they have to make musicals of EVERYTHING?!

STOP. IT. NOW!!!!!

• Splash Mountain addict.

Hopefully it doesn't suck as much as the third one did!

I dunno, with the people responsible for Avenue Q on board, it could turn out really good. I loved one and two, and if they capture any of the irreverence of those films, it could be worth seeing.