Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Anaheim City Council votes 3 to 2 in favor of Zoning change in the Resort Area

The April 24th, 2007 Anaheim City Council meeting started at 5 PM, and lasted until past midnight. 27 speakers from each side of the issue spoke, and Lucille Kring decided to vote with Lorri Galloway and Bob Hernandez to allow the SunCal Companies to continue to approach the council in regards to building housing with a low-cost housing (15%) element. Mayor Curt Pringle and Harry S. Sidhu, P.E. voted to deny the changes.

One main point brought up in the long night, SOAR (Save Our Anaheim Resort) which is mainly businesses in the Resort Area, including Disney, did get the 20,000 signatures needed for an city initative to force a vote on any zoning change.

So the battle in regards to the zoning change is far from over....

More later.... (Yes, I was there for the entire council meeting)
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Shablagoo!

Re: Anaheim City Council votes 3 to 2 in favor of Zoning change in the Resort Area

thanks for covering the meeting. I'm sure it was probably boring.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Anaheim City Council votes 3 to 2 in favor of Zoning change in the Resort Area

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    The April 24th, 2007 Anaheim City Council meeting started at 5 PM, and lasted until past midnight. 27 speakers from each side of the issue spoke, and Lucille Kring decided to vote with Lorri Galloway and Bob Hernandez to allow the SunCal Companies to continue to approach the council in regards to building housing with a low-cost housing (15%) element. Mayor Curt Pringle and Harry S. Sidhu, P.E. voted to deny the changes.

One main point brought up in the long night, SOAR (Save Our Anaheim Resort) which is mainly businesses in the Resort Area, including Disney, did get the 20,000 signatures needed for an city initative to force a vote on any zoning change.

So the battle in regards to the zoning change is far from over....

More later.... (Yes, I was there for the entire council meeting)
    Wow thanks for sharing and all the info

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Sh*t's about to hit the fan.

I think this zoning change is a bunch of crap. Its insulting that the housing developers are using the "low cost housing" game to win this, when in reality, their project is hardly low-cost at all. From what I understand, if their project does get the OK from Anaheim, they'll have very few actual "low-cost" units, less than the amount of units that are currently available at the Mobile Home park.

Pathetic.

Furthermore, the neighbors are always complaining about Disney's noise levels, so why on earth would they want to build more homes so close to the Resort? It makes no sense at all. Absolutely ridiculous.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    thanks for covering the meeting. I'm sure it was probably boring.
    I wouldn't call it boring, I have plenty of notes from the evening.

Just tired, but too tired to sleep.... I got up around 6 AM this morning and have been on the go since then. Work for a few hours, then off to Disneyland for some photos shortly after 1 PM, then off to City Hall around 4 PM.

Heck, at least the Padres won and the Dodgers lost

GO DUCKS!!!!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• All you need is LOVE

I wouldn't call it boring, I have plenty of notes from the evening.

Just tired, but too tired to sleep.... I got up around 6 AM this morning and have been on the go since then. Work for a few hours, then off to Disneyland for some photos shortly after 1 PM, then off to City Hall around 4 PM.

GO DUCKS!!!!!
    Awe hugs rest up

• Former Loiterer

You're a Padres fan???? I knew I loved you!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

Maybe Disney should start flexing their muscles again by threatening to move people out of anaheim to long beach, which is what they did in 1994 to get anaheim to create the resort district in the first place and spend billions in improvements of the area. That'll show em. Disney should set up a dummy corp and sell the land they have in Anaheim to the dummy corp to make it look like they are not planning on expanding in Anaheim and are looking elsewhere.

I am so mean.

• FuseMP

Most importantly of all, the Giants have won 6 in a row!!

Anyway, can someone tell me what this really means? what the hell is zoning?

From what i can gather people are going to be walking out of space mountain to see some kid poking his nose over the fence asking for his ball back?

•   
    • Minion

Ah, to live in interesting times... I wonder how this is going to affect Al's future updates... Do, tell!
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Sh*t's about to hit the fan.

I think this zoning change is a bunch of crap. Its insulting that the housing developers are using the "low cost housing" game to win this, when in reality, their project is hardly low-cost at all. From what I understand, if their project does get the OK from Anaheim, they'll have very few actual "low-cost" units, less than the amount of units that are currently available at the Mobile Home park.

Pathetic.

Furthermore, the neighbors are always complaining about Disney's noise levels, so why on earth would they want to build more homes so close to the Resort? It makes no sense at all. Absolutely ridiculous.
    I find it amusing that locals still complain about Disney noise levels. I mean, the park has been there for over 50 years now. It's not like it just magically sprung up in their backyards one day. It was most likely their choice to live where they do. They had to have known one of the most visited theme parks in the world wouldn't be the most quiet neighbor.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle View Post
    Anyway, can someone tell me what this really means? what the hell is zoning?
    Zoning is the local (at the county or city level) that control what people can build in an area. The government usually has an overall plan spelling out what type of businesses or residential stuff can be built in an area.. and if someone wants to build something outside the plan.. they have to file for exceptions or changes in the zoning for that area.

It's basically local government planning of development.. both commercial and residental for areas.

• insufferable know-it-all

What he said.

Basically, the planning commission develops an idea for how they would like the city to be laid out (presumaby in the best interests of its citizens), relating to which areas will allow noisy, grungy industrial, which areas will be retail or office buildings, where the multifamily housing will be, and where the single family residences will be. They also determine certain other rules regarding property in the area, such as setbacks, appearance, etc. That prevents someone from building something which will negatively impact the area, such as an auto shop in the middle of a residential block, or a noisy nightclub next to an apartment building.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle View Post
    Most importantly of all, the Giants have won 6 in a row!!
    Indeed. Nice to see them out of their slump. Though I've been too busy following the Sharks to really notice. Still, a victory of the Dodgers is always cause for celebration. ^_^

On topic, it'll be interesting to see how this goes. Rasulo isn't going to step down quietly.

• ...TWO BITS!

So for the 3rd theme park nay-sayers... what do you think now?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast