Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Drops Buena Vista Brand Name

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Not remotely... People have forgotten that the Walt Disney Company is more than just a Brand... This isn't "Apple." This isn't "ABC."

Functionally it doesn't matter... It is just tossing 50 years of brand recognition in the name of leverage marketing does...

Every little bit of what made this company a family company is getting thrown in a dumpster... This isn't having a respect for Disney's hearitage...

If "Buena Vista" as a tradename is so worthless, why not sell it... I'd buy it...
    You know, I really find it difficult to get sentimental over a distribution company, even if Walt did create it. It's not throwing heritage in the dumpster to change the name. If anything, it honors the heritage by giving it a Disney name.

As ps1082 pointed out, the Buena Vista name is far from worthless, but Disney, ABC and ESPN are much more recognized brand names. I suspect that outside the entertainment industry and Disney geekdom, not a whole lot of people know what Buena Vista is and couldn't care less if Disney changed the name.

I agree that "Disney" is more than just a brand . . . to us. The reality is, however, that the average Joe on the street sees Disney as just a brand--a brand that is about to have (at least) one more component identified with it, broadening the name recognition even more.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    You know, I really find it difficult to get sentimental over a distribution company, even if Walt did create it. It's not throwing heritage in the dumpster to change the name. If anything, it honors the heritage by giving it a Disney name.
    Images have power disneytim....

After over 50 years... This is now forever gone from the big screen...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I'll get over it.

•   
    • Minion

I'll get over it.
    Nothing is sacred with you, is it?
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Nothing is sacred with you, is it?
    Not 40 years after Walt Disney's death, no.

I always find it amusing how desperately hardcore Disney fans cling to the past and rant about how "this isn't the way Walt would do it" when, in fact, no one wanted to change things, not repeat himself, and move on to new ideas more than Walt Disney.

•   
    • Minion

Not 40 years after Walt Disney's death, no.

I always find it amusing how desperately hardcore Disney fans cling to the past and rant about how "this isn't the way Walt would do it" when, in fact, no one wanted to change things, not repeat himself, and move on to new ideas more than Walt Disney.
    I was asking a rhetorical question...

First off... Any ever since the Anchient Greeks and Japanese, every theatrical type enterprise culture has ever come up with has an element of the sacred attached to it... I am not going to leture on why this is the case... This is why people are still facinated with celebrity - and why people are so disappointed when they fall... Too many forget in the name of making a buck...

Secondly... There is a phrase, "you can never go home again." Little things from our own childhood... The things we want to share often get stripped from our fingers in the name of corporate something or other...

This isn't about Disney, it is about who I am; and, to expand, who we all are as human... This is why it gets personal....
    Check out my other blog:

• Huh?

Images have power disneytim....

After over 50 years... This is now forever gone from the big screen...
    Better question is, when was the last time Disney ever had this (or any logo) proclaiming that it was distributed by Buena Vista? Buena Vista has always been a sidenote in the end credits for many years now.
    -Tim

• Minion

As Shakespeare said, what's in a name? Most people don't even recognize that Buena Vista is part of Disney. And it's not as if they're disbanding the entire company. - it's just a rename. It's also being renamed after Walt. It's not like it's becoming the Michael Eisner Studios.

• Circle of Ancients

While a few people know that Buena Vista is somehow affiliated with Disney, it is most certainly not known by the general population. When Buena Vista began TV distribution in the 80s, Sleeping Beauty Castle was used in the logo. This was the best way Disney could have done it. In the 90s, they got rid of the logo, and as such, disassociated Buena Vista with Disney.

Very few people were aware of NBC being apart of Universal Studios. As such, the new logos for NBC all say "NBC/UNIVERSAL". Thank God Disney does not do this with ABC. When they purchased the company in the late 90s, they simply changed the name to ABC Inc. It is a powerful enough entity to stand on its own. Beuna Vista, however, is not. Disney-Buena Vista is a bit much for a name. Simply changing it to Disney is not that big of deal. Nothing about the distribution company will change, just the name. It's not like it is that important to the vast majority of Americans or the American culture.

Personally, I would much rather have Sleeping Beauty Castle back over the Buena Vista logo. It's what makes sense.

Are they seriously going to say a rated R movie is distrbuted by Disney? They should keep the Buena Vista name for distributing Touchtone and Hollywood Pictures movies and have Walt Disney Pictures movies distributed by Disney.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by netenyahoo View Post
    Are they seriously going to say a rated R movie is distrbuted by Disney? They should keep the Buena Vista name for distributing Touchtone and Hollywood Pictures movies and have Walt Disney Pictures movies distributed by Disney.
    That thought did cross my mind... But I am sure they will use Touchstone or Miramax be the distribution company...

Hollywood Pictures is more than likely going the way of the dodo... I sincerely doubt we will see many (if any) movies with this studio ID tag in the future... What is it now, down to one film a year?
    Check out my other blog:

• From rags to riches!

Working in the industry myself, I can confirm that the change from "Touchstone Television" to "ABC Television" is complete. Touchstone Pictures is still being thrown around as far as rated R-movies are concerned. However, to stay on par with the other major Hollywood studios, most PG-13 pictures and below will be released under the Walt Disney Pictures name.

Miramax, ESPN, and ABC are not only premium brand names for Disney and will continue to maintain their names so long as each of these companies keep their own unique corporate structures, culture, and markets.

The "Hollywood" brand will remain with the record company, though it is highly doubtful that the name will resurface in movies.
    Pirates have the most fun

Jack : You need to find yourself a girl, mate! Or perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12