Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Disney Drops Buena Vista Brand Name

Disney drops "Buena Vista" Brand Name

April 25, 2007

Andy Fixmer, Bloomberg Reporter, is currently reporting that Disney is planning to drop the "Buena Vista" brand name off it's distributive arm in order to focus it's marketing efforts on the stronger brand names in the marketplace: Disney, ABC, ESPN. Heidi Trotta, a Disney Studios spokes person, is quoted, "We are taking a look at our organizational branding so it aligns to the company's new focus on our major brands.''

More on this story: Visit Bloomberg.com
    Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-25-2007 at 09:55 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Drops Buena Vista Brand Name

It's all about branding. Disney wants its core names to be "Disney," "ABC," and "ESPN." They started moving in that direction earlier this year when Buena Vista Games changed to Disney Interactive Studios. Hyperion Books has been rumored to be changing soon as well.

I'm curious to see if Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Hollywood Records and Lyric Street Records undergo similar changes in the future, although Touchstone is a pretty established name.

Disney has stated several times on record since the rebranding of Touchstone Television to ABC Television Studio and Buena Vista Games to Disney Interactive Studios that Touchstone Pictures, Miramax Films and Pixar will not undergo name changes.
    In my opinion, the record labels (Hollywood, Lyric Street and Buena Vista) are not large enough businesses to require being rebranded.
    As for Hollywood Pictures, although they haven't stated on record that it will not be rebranded, it would be pointless. The Invisible is the only feature that is in the studio's pipeline at the moment and is due for release tomorrow in theaters. Now, if the release is deemed successful by Disney, they may decide the keep the resurrected label active, but my understanding is that The Invisible will be Hollywood Pictures last release (at least for the time being).

•   
    • Minion

I agree... Hollywood Pictures is really on it's last legs and has not gained traction since Eisner started pushing for it... It really is his "dream ballet..."

Personally, it needs to go...
    Check out my other blog:

• Directly directed

But Buena Vista has been around almost since the begining. I'm fine with getting rid of the others but I feel that Buena Vista has been around long enough that most people can recognize it.

Anybody here know where the Buena Vista name came from ?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    Anybody here know where the Buena Vista name came from ?
    It comes from the name of the street the studio and corporate headquarters are on... The company has been using the name since 1953... Walt and Roy named the business themselves...

Over 50 years of tradtion Iger throws down the loo...
    Check out my other blog:

But I cannot recall anything (as far as movies are concerned) being released recently under the Buena Vista name. If they aren't going to use it then get rid of it. It only makes sense.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Over 50 years of tradtion Iger throws down the loo...
    Not really. It's just a name change to make the company more identifiable with the Disney brand. From a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.

I understand the attachment to the Buena Vista brand as a Disney fan... I will miss it (when they actually phase it out... it hasn't been officially announced yet). I was also kind of sad to see Touchstone Television be rebranded... even though it's still the same company, just a different name.
    But in all honesty, the Buena Vista name really only has significance to Disney fans. I took a poll for a project in my business class a few years ago, and less than 1% of the people surveyed (I got over 800 hits) knew that Buena Vista was part of The Walt Disney Company. So, in rebranding it, they would be making more people aware what content is theirs etc.
    I always wondered why Disney never instituted a somewhat common practice that some other major media companies practice... which is showing the brand and then underneath having an ownership statement like "Part Of the Magic Of The Walt Disney Company". That phrase appears on most Disney corporate stationary from many subsidiaries. TimeWarner, Viacom and News Corporation all stamp their subsidiaries with a similar phrase "A TimeWarner Company" etc.

• Huh?

I thought Hollywood Pictures was gone long ago...

What exactly was the purpose of Hollywood Pictures, anyway? I think that's its downfall. It had nothing to distinguish itself. Touchstone was already the branch that they had for releasing the stuff that they didn't want the Disney name associated with. Miramax was the indie branch. I dunno... Hollywood Pictures always seemed like a Touchstone clone to me.

As for Buena Vista, it's not really that much of a loss. Buena Vista only came about because RKO didn't want to distribute the True-Life Adventures. If any keeps the Buena Vista name, it should be Buena Vista Distribution.

However, I think it's going to be good to drop it from some branches of the company -- Buena Vista International Distribution. I remember seeing a Korean horror film and finding it odd that they would allow the Disneyland castle logo of Walt Disney Pictures in front of such a violent and bloody movie.

And then there's the silly -- Disney Interactive changed into BVG to branch out a bit and get away from the Disney name. Now Disney's en vogue, so they're going back to a Disney name. Make up your minds!
    -Tim

• Knight that says Nee!!

I think it's a shame. Maybe it's because I am a Disney fan but it seemed to me when you mentioned "Buena Vista" people (even non-Disney fanatics) knew it was a Disney product so I don't agree with the change being nessisary to make it "more identifiable" with the Disney brand.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Buena Vista Pictures Distribtion distributes Touchstone, Hollywood, Miramax, Walt Disney and Pixar films. This means they are in charge of marketing, promotion, etc.

Its all one company, so I guess in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. However, like others have said, it is all about tradition. Buena Vista St. is where many of Disney's offices in Burbank are located. Lake Buena Vista, FL is also the sight of many of Disney's operations in Florida.

As far as Hollywood pictures goes, it used to be a pretty active studio until recently and 'The Invisable' is the only release I can think of in quite a while. I am sure one WDS starts paring down its release schedule to less then 10 a year, Hollywood Studios will be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Diva View Post
    But I cannot recall anything (as far as movies are concerned) being released recently under the Buena Vista name. If they aren't going to use it then get rid of it. It only makes sense.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Not really. It's just a name change to make the company more identifiable with the Disney brand. From a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.
    Not remotely... People have forgotten that the Walt Disney Company is more than just a Brand... This isn't "Apple." This isn't "ABC."

Functionally it doesn't matter... It is just tossing 50 years of brand recognition in the name of leverage marketing does...

Every little bit of what made this company a family company is getting thrown in a dumpster... This isn't having a respect for Disney's hearitage...

If "Buena Vista" as a tradename is so worthless, why not sell it... I'd buy it...
    Check out my other blog:

I don't think anyone at Disney believes the Buena Vista brand is "worthless". But it certainly does not carry the significance that "Disney" does. Also, the brand would never be sold, because media companies have a tendancy to change their minds later on.
    For example, in 2001, Hollywood Pictures released what was supposed to be its last feature "Just Visiting". A couple years ago, Nina Jacobson (former President of Buena Vista Motion Pictures Group) decided it would be a good idea to revive the label as a "genre" distributor. So, Disney revived it... it released "Stay Alive" last year and "Primeval" and "The Invisible" this year. Now, it's likely that it will be phased out again.
    In the late 90's, Walt Disney Pictures output was almost half the output that Touchstone Pictures was releasing. Now, the reverse is happening.
    Who's to say that in a few years, they won't revive Buena Vista... or make more Touchstone branded movies. Management always makes changes as they see fit... if it doesn't work, they reverse the change or try something new. It's a constantly changing cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast