Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• -Going Retro-

I still remember the first time I ordered The Disney Channel. I woke up at 5am set the VCR on 'EP' and recorded for six hours straight. What a great network it used to be. I actually liked the new Mickey Mouse Club. Does anyone remember "Emerald Cove"? Loved it! I had a crush on one of the guys, I think his name was Tony. Pic of him

I had no idea people still pay extra for the Disney Channel. I believe it's been years now, that cable and satellite have the channel included in there normal channel packages.

I was ok with the direction Disney Channel was going only because they still had Vault Disney, but now that's gone I have no real reason to watch.

Just a quick off topic thing..it also makes me sick that Power Rangers are on Toon Disney. They belong on fox...not Disney!

• Senior Minion

two words -Vault Disney,
    My favorite. I also enjoyed The Boy who could Fly. it was fun as a kid
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• off in lala land

I was too poor to have Disney Channel as a kid... so I stayed up all weekend for the free weekend deals they had.
    ...it's been a long time.

• Circle of Ancients

Disney-Toon-Teen

I LOVED THE DISNEY CHANNEL! THE REAL THING! They had such cool stuff on there. The films, the specials, the tv series. It was the best. I wouldn't even watch the Disney Channel now (even if I had cable lol). When they came out with Toon Disney, I thought: "Hey, maybe this will be like the Disney Channel was, but it wasn't. I think Disney needs to get their act together and make a Teen Disney and get rid of Toon, (to move all that current stuff on Disney to that Channel) and get us back on track, replaying the old series, the classic films, and of course VAULT DISNEY! That way the good things that are on Toon will be moved back to The Disney Channel. I'd love to see Gummi Bears, Chip and Dale, and the rest back on their home. I think House of Mouse was a good move, but it is on Toon Disney as well. Oh well, we can dream...
    Last edited by Aura of Foreboding; 06-16-2005 at 09:35 AM. Reason: to clarify points

• Circle of Ancients

Oh yeah, and bring back Pooh Corner and Dumbo's Circus! (The Umbrella Tree anyone?) I loved those shows. I got to see the real characters on TV. It was Heaven...

•   
    • Minion

I remember being a sucker for Epcot Magazine... Which was a cross between a science and feature story show...

I don't know, I always like shows that involved the parks... It is the oldest disney formula and tradition... Even with a new spin... I really miss the park oriented shows... In the tradition of the Mickey Mouse Clubs, and Disneyland (telivison program)...

Basically it has turned into this content distribution channel that I guess is targeted toward tweens... (Nickolodian does a better job putting together their cable channel).. Trying to find their "nitch" market I guess... but the trouble is that this isn't what "Disney" means...

What strikes me is that with the larger library of titles, they don't just create a Disney Channel like AMC or TCM... With movie classics, and television classics, and animation shorts... And they don't do it, defering to trickling vertually nothing out on Home Video... But why be so tight fisted? If most of the material in demand basically is in celluloid and rotting away?
    Check out my other blog:

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

[QUOTE] by Aura of Foreboding: Oh yeah, and bring back Pooh Corner and Dumbo's Circus! (The Umbrella Tree anyone?) I loved those shows. I got to see the real characters on TV. It was Heaven...

The Umbrella Tree, that's the show I was trying to remember . The one with that oversived lizard, blue jay, and something else. Oh, that brings back memories. Doesnt anybody remember Fraggle Rock, the jim Henson show.

Here's a wierd pic of those umbrella tree guys. http://www.efanguide.com/~disney/cha...sic/under.html
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Oh, I know when I stopped watching. I stopped watching when that stupid "Zoog Disney" came with shows like So Wierd, this wierd new sports show, and Bug Juice. Oh God, I hated those freakin zoogs.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Banned User

I watched disney channel back when it was premium on cable...

I remember MMC.... and New kids on the block?? (slept then..)

I remember the Pooh corner I think.. the characters were puppets or something...

many old good quality shows.. gone...

• The Original Disney Doll

Remember Avonlea? I loved that show. What happened to nice shows like that the whole family really could watch together? I guess teens would rather watch the aforementioned "slutfest."

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    I remember when Disney Channel was a pay channel. I loved when at 9pm they'd do that "Disney Nighttime" programming for adults. They showed some of the BEST concert specials. I remember watching David Bowie's "Black Tie/White Noise" several times. They even aired The Beatles film "A Hard Days Night".

Oh and not to be anal retentive, but Fraggle Rock (the one with the puppets, not the cartoon) first started on HBO. I remember watching it all the time when I was a kid. I guess Disney was able to get the rights to air it on their channel too.

I think the reason why The original Disney Channel was paid for seperately becuase it was unique from any other channel there was. Now it comes in any cable package because it's just like every other channel.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    I also remember when Nickelodeon was a pay channel.

• Circle of Ancients

[QUOTE=DL_CRAZE]
    by Aura of Foreboding: Oh yeah, and bring back Pooh Corner and Dumbo's Circus! (The Umbrella Tree anyone?) I loved those shows. I got to see the real characters on TV. It was Heaven...

The Umbrella Tree, that's the show I was trying to remember . The one with that oversived lizard, blue jay, and something else. Oh, that brings back memories. Doesnt anybody remember Fraggle Rock, the jim Henson show.

Here's a wierd pic of those umbrella tree guys. http://www.efanguide.com/~disney/cha...sic/under.html
    "DOWN IN FRAGGLE ROCK!" I loved the theme song! BRING IT BACK! I WANT MY DISNEY CHANNEL!

• My laughing place

I agree with the general consensus of this thread. I guess my question is..what "suit" was responsible for this change to targeting the teenage market. The Disney Channel,Radio Disney & The Disney Store all went this direction. I cant believe that thier was a popular poll taken by Disney that lead to this decision. My guess is it was just another bad decision made by upper management trying to make more money.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast