Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

well the downfall really started once the channel went free (at least in my town)

anywho besides all the tween stuff what really irks me is their 64 episode cap on TV shows they only film up to a bit above 60 and then they're canceld no matter how popular they are

it's irritating as it makes most of their shows really shortlived and when they hit sindication or are put on a weekly basis they quickly become stale because you can easily see every single episode in just a bit over a month

compare this to stuff like Duck Tales which is remebered by many people and is one of the few Disney toons that ever went beyond that stupid rule

this also makes it so the only thing recognizable in every years lineup will be Power Rangers (it changes theme and name and Disney doens't pay much to create it as all the big fight scenes are taken from a Japanese series called sentai *it dates back to the 70's I think probably why it's so godzilla esque*) even though with the new themes the shows barly relate to each other anymore (using a costant theme died after three seasons of trying to suppliment american footage with japanese mecha footage because sentai changes themes every year) and continuality ended in the sixth season

of course since syndicated TV is pretty much dead I don't know that kids will have much competition for saturday morning stuff

as far as cable goes Cartoon Network and Nick are much better then Disney these days (I also hate their origional movies which are pretty low quality I liked watching old Disney Films and Disney animation better)

• Banned User

Cartoon network.. famous for getting old TV cartoons now shows new ones.. and in some cases shows them then send them to kids WD as new....

Nick is turning more into the Nick Toon network without already owning one.... what happened to having quality TV shows... those aimed at different ages... do some kids need to have preteen dramsas... when it is about having fun as kids???

• Merry 2014!

i have to disagree about labeling the teen shows on DC as a "slutfest". i don't see that happening in those shows. they are centered around teen issues though, which, i can remember my own teen years, are pretty limiting in themes.

i do wish they would bring back the old stuff too and pepper it in amongst the teen and tween fodder. where is vault disney when you need it?!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

It's not been too long ago that Disney had a DISNEY Channel, not a Japanese animation channel. My little girl is 7 now and we used to watch Zorro and the Micky Mouse club and she remembers the music mostly. It's a shame that there is more about what's going on and what to see and do with Disney on the Travel Channel now than on the Disney channel. Now that the Disney Magazine is gone as well, it would do Disney some good I think to bring back a true Disney venue where people and the WHOLE family could turn to. Which Also reminds me of another pet peeve than Eisner changed and that is moving the Wonderful world from Sunday to Saturday. I grew up with it on Sundays and remember interviews that Walt had his Disneyland show and WW on Sundays because it was the day when the family got together for dinner and could sit down after and watch a ahow before the school and work week started and Saturday was the day that you worked on the yard, went places, etc. Ever since it's been moved its been a rare time when we've seen it. My daughter still watches Disney channel and we like some of the shows (some are too vulgar and tasteless, so I don't let her watch it - a shame to have that have to be for a Disney product) But there would not be a desire for a Disney channel without the stuff that everybody here has been writing about. That heritage deserves to be kept and seen by every generation, or Disney will in time suffer. The quality stands up much better than todays work and the dilution will show and come back to haunt Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by davedc32
    It's not been too long ago that Disney had a DISNEY Channel, not a Japanese animation channel.
    what Japanese animation is Disney doing?

I know Power Rangers is taken from a Japan show and geared down (Sentai has more violence/blood/bad acting in it) and I know Disney took Digimon from fox and managed to produce one more season from it before being forced to stop (because the people who made the show in japan decided it was time to stop)

otherwise Disney's pretty clean were ripping off of Japan is concerned

you see alot more of this Japanese ripoff stuff on KidsWB and Cartoon Network (some of it's real but then the mix it with american stuff that is just a blatant ripoff of the style without any of the depth)

Nickalodean does this a bit too but not as much (both Nick and Cartoon Network seem to be into having one or two shows that resemble being animated in macromedia flash though which I find very insulting >_>)

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

"Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• insufferable know-it-all

Wow, #1 is the poster-child of pandering.

Cartoon by committee....

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Downfall of Disney Channel is one of the most irking things ever.

I remember when they had QUALITY live-action shows like So Weird, Even Stevens, Jett Jackson, The Jersey, Honey I Shrunk The Kids (the Series), and more.

Now almost all of those are off the air (except Even Stevens), replaced with bad quality cartoons.

American Dragon: Jake Long has got to be the worst cartoon ever, simply because it is totally formulaic. "Normal" teenager who "just so happens" to have the power to save the world. I've seen it in millions of cartoons. *yawn*

Disney has settled for formualic junk. Suite Life of Zack and Cody is not THAT bad, but the kids do not seem at all like they are 12 (they look about eight or nine and act that way too). Phil of the Future is okay, but it is pretty typical. That's So Raven is low-budget, cheap, ALWAYS THE SAME comedy.

The Buzz on Maggie will no doubt be another lame cartoon. Naturally Sadie looks to have some promise as a second Lizzie McGuire.

My big question:
    IF YOU HAVE A TOON DISNEY CHANNEL, WHY DID YOU CLUTTER YOUR REGULAR CHANNEL WITH TOONS TOO?

it's not jap animation though (or what real fans would correctly call anime) it's just imitation (anime has more depth then that even when it's shallowed out by the americanization process which tends to rid the shows of depth and the weird philosophy stuff they do half the time o_O)

and those other two shows...

they're ADMITING that they were started in Macromedia flash >_>

these shows irk me

ANYBODY can use flash I want higher grade then that shows that have flash style animation are of the same quality as animations created by people with way too much time on their hands (*cough* newgrounds *cough*)

heck there are people as young as 12 that can do some impressive animations on flash

I'd rather see smooth aniamtions and some real detail and style to the drawings >_>

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005

I remember when they had QUALITY live-action shows like So Weird, Even Stevens, Jett Jackson, The Jersey, Honey I Shrunk The Kids (the Series), and more.

Now almost all of those are off the air (except Even Stevens), replaced with bad quality cartoons.

American Dragon: Jake Long has got to be the worst cartoon ever, simply because it is totally formulaic. "Normal" teenager who "just so happens" to have the power to save the world. I've seen it in millions of cartoons. *yawn*

Disney has settled for formualic junk. Suite Life of Zack and Cody is not THAT bad, but the kids do not seem at all like they are 12 (they look about eight or nine and act that way too). Phil of the Future is okay, but it is pretty typical. That's So Raven is low-budget, cheap, ALWAYS THE SAME comedy.

The Buzz on Maggie will no doubt be another lame cartoon. Naturally Sadie looks to have some promise as a second Lizzie McGuire.

My big question:
    IF YOU HAVE A TOON DISNEY CHANNEL, WHY DID YOU CLUTTER YOUR REGULAR CHANNEL WITH TOONS TOO?
    I'm proud of that rant. Any comments?

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    two words -Vault Disney,
    My favorite. I also enjoyed The Boy who could Fly. it was fun as a kid
    I loved that movie!!

I watched The Disney Channel through high school religiously....wanted to get on the music/dance show. :o

I found this Videopolis site.....the pictures crack me up!!

http://www.videopolis.us/Memories_Frameset.htm

I practically lived there as a teen during two of the best summers of my life!! My goal was to get on the Disney Channel. Any of those girls could be me....ugh, that hair!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005

My big question:
    wonder were the guy who made Jet Jackson went? he's the new writer for Power Rangers, Power Rangers SPD is his first season I believe (Doug Saloan I believe it was who handled the first two Disney controled seasons Ninja Storm and Dino THunder *Doug was put to this task because he already worked for Disney and his history includes working on Power Rangers from the first season all the way up until Zeo which is four seasons total and fit with Disney's goal of turning PR back into the old style show rather then the more serious drama it was becoming*)

I really found all those shows moderate but they were alright I suppose

I wouldn't mind going back to alot of the old stuff Nick used to do

Disney really does need a retro or best of Disney channel type deal and I can't think of a good name for it

Valt disney was alright but it didn't neccisarily always appeal to me, I really liked the old mix of classic cartoons mixed with some of the best syndicated ones and a few great sitcomes the origional Disney channel presented quite a fun mix (showing actual theatricaly released movies helped too)

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I wouldn't mind going back to alot of the old stuff Nick used to do
    Like Kids, Inc? That was our favorite show! That totally defined the innocent side of the 80's for me and kept me young. I graduated in 91, so I wasn't their target audience, but I ate it up along with all my friends and our younger sisters.

That said. God, it was dorky!!!! And when Stacy, Renee or Stephanie who whoever the heck it was came out as Wild Orchid in the mid-90's, I bought the CD. :o

• a saweet songbird =)

My brother and I remenince all the time about those great shows you mentioned and how we would rush home from school to watch them. When we were older it somehow switched to those cheezy game shows like Legend of The Hidden Temple with the blue barracudas, and Saved by the Bell. I use to always watch Pooh's Corner...the ones where they would sing the classic song..."Deep in the hundred acre woods, where Christopher Robin lives..." and flip through the pages of the book and that old, nice man would always read to us in the beginning (I loved it!), Gummi Bears, Dumbo's Circus, Darkwing (I think thats the name?) Duck, Ducktales, Tale Spin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Under the Umbrella Tree (was that on the Disney channel I forget?) Carebears, Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, all of those classics. I don't really appreciate the way our pop culture has affected the classic cartoons now a days. I mean it's bound to happen, change is inevitable. However, I miss the 80's Disney Cartoons, the way it use to be when I was growing up as kid.
    Last edited by saweetmelody7; 06-17-2005 at 01:53 PM. Reason: too long

• a saweet songbird =)

I forgot about that one! Kids in Corparated...K-I-D-S!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast