Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

-
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-19-2005 at 09:48 AM.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    I do not see Kim Possible as a quality show. It's just about a girl saving the world. Nothing special.

The Proud Family was one show that irked me, especially Suga Mama. Can anyone be more annoying?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    And when Stacy, Renee or Stephanie who whoever the heck it was came out as Wild Orchid in the mid-90's, I bought the CD.
    Heh. ANd now Stacy is known as Fergie in one of the biggest hip-hop acts around right now... Black Eyed Peas.

Man, I remember watching Kids, Inc before Disney Channel even picked it up. i feel so friggin old now!

I also remember these old Disney Channel shows: Just You & Me Kid, Mousercise, Mousterpiece Theatre...

• Iron-Clad Allie

The Good, The Bad, and the Disney Channel

Disney doesn't target the type of fan base that it has in the past. With the exception of Playhouse Disney, the current Disney Channel pretty much focuses on a teen audience. Broadly speaking, Disney leaves everybody else out. A change in policy is long overdue.

All of this being said, there are a few quality programs on the air today - House of Mouse, Even Stevens, and Playhouse Disney. Lou Nye the Science Guy is phenominal! The "made for tv" remake of The Parent Trap was wonderful and hilarious. This demonstrates that the Company could do much better if it desired to.

Hilary Duff shows and movies are ok, nothing to rave about. She is ostensibly being groomed by the industry, with the intent of shedding her innocent image once she turns 18 - becoming a sexual "shock Goddess" like Britney Spears and Christina Agulara. Kim Possible is not the worst offering, but definitely not among the best. Programs such as That's So Raven are the type of garbage that is turning off the broader audience. Maybe it's just me, but even the title seems to be a semi-lift of the popular es Ramon tv series.

I loved the REAL Disney Channel and its quality live-action shows, cartoons and movies. Disney spread itself to thin when it created Toon Disney. How great the day was when there was an abundance of high quality entertainment. People loved Duck Tails, Super Goof, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Kids, Inc, the new Mickey Mouse Club, the Wonderful World of Disney, Pooh Corner and Dumbo's Circus. Although the name alludes me, I absolutely loved a cartoon series that modeled itself after Silly Symphanies, and combined popular cartoon scenes with modern pop music.

Vault Disney was awesome as well. How great it was to watch the classic Mickey Mouse Club, Zorro, Spin and Marty, Treasure Island (exerpts), and Davy Crocket. The Company could stand to benefit from the real Crocket's slogan, "Be always sure you are right, then go ahead."

I also enjoyed vintage films, such as The Love Bug, The Absent Minded Professor, Napoleon and Samantha, Follow Me Boys, Mary Poppins, Lt. Robinson Crusoe, USN, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Those Calloways, The Boy Who Flew Blackbeard's Ghost, The Gnome Mobile, The Happiest Millionaire, and That Darn Cat. The list goes on. The Disney Channel needs to return to its roots - and I hope somebody will put Toon Disney out of it's misery, the sooner the better.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-19-2005 at 04:11 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Downfall of Disney Channel is one of the most irking things ever.

I remember when they had QUALITY live-action shows like So Weird, Even Stevens, Jett Jackson, The Jersey, Honey I Shrunk The Kids (the Series), and more.

Now almost all of those are off the air (except Even Stevens), replaced with bad quality cartoons.

American Dragon: Jake Long has got to be the worst cartoon ever, simply because it is totally formulaic. "Normal" teenager who "just so happens" to have the power to save the world. I've seen it in millions of cartoons. *yawn*

Disney has settled for formualic junk. Suite Life of Zack and Cody is not THAT bad, but the kids do not seem at all like they are 12 (they look about eight or nine and act that way too). Phil of the Future is okay, but it is pretty typical. That's So Raven is low-budget, cheap, ALWAYS THE SAME comedy.

The Buzz on Maggie will no doubt be another lame cartoon. Naturally Sadie looks to have some promise as a second Lizzie McGuire.

My big question:
    IF YOU HAVE A TOON DISNEY CHANNEL, WHY DID YOU CLUTTER YOUR REGULAR CHANNEL WITH TOONS TOO?

Excellent points. As far as I'm concerned, Disney has created a formula of mediocrity for The Disney Channel as well as Toon Disney. If overall quality is not restored, it may pay serious consequences in the future. Disney would compete much better with Nicolodeon thru a strong mix of DC programs.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    What i hate are some of the live action shows they have. First they give some obnoxious Tween girl her own show, then low and behold, She gets a Music career, of computer synthasized recorded voice while Lip Syncing!
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    What i hate are some of the live action shows they have. First they give some obnoxious Tween girl her own show, then low and behold, She gets a Music career, of computer synthasized recorded voice while Lip Syncing!
    Absolutely, PanTheMan! Most give away game shows are fake too. The contestants, in many cases, are profesional unknown actors, models, industry friends, and paid off John/Jill Does off the street. The live action shows you refered to are nothing more than scripted put-ons follow pre-existing formulas - and vocal synthasization gives way to many a recording con-artist.

I do miss the old Disney Channel

I can't beleive no one mentioned Kids Incorporated. I remember that program use to be on the Disney channel. As well as Zorro and the Wonderful world of Disney. I do like some of the shows they have on now, Like the Wiggles (that's my savior), That's So Raven, and The Proud Family. But I do miss the old Disney. I do agree that there's too much 'teeny bopper' stuff on now a days but my children seem to enjoy it, so it's not that bad.

Power Rangers are on Toon Disney??? What is this world coming too? Are they even affiliated in anyway? My goodness. Vault Disney was cool and they just ran with the idea that Boy Meets World is much more important than Vault Disney. You're right kids should be in bed at some piont in the night

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE THE WIGGLES!!!!!! My 2 year old son just had a birthday and we 'Wiggled' him out! We had Wiggles from top to bottom of this house. We even got him some DVD's and Wiggles toys. He will dance to just about any Wiggle song and he keeps quiet when I'm really busy when he watches them. What I like about the DVD's from the Wiggles, is that when they're finished, they automatically start over again with out me having to go start them myself. Did I mention I love the Wiggles?

This is such a great thread. It has really brought back some good memories for me. My favorite old (80s) stuff was Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, and Tale Spin. I also absolutely love the old classic Disney cartoons with the fab five. Thank goodness for those new DVD collections. I have the Goofy collection and I watch it constantly.

I think, in my house, we watch Nickelodeon more than we watch the Disney channel. I don't have kids, but I'm staying with my parents this summer between semesters at college. My 11-year-old brother never watches the Disney Channel unless they have some old movie or TV show on - like the good stuff we've been discussing here. We usually watch shows on Nick like Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly Oddparents - which we all find quite amusing. There is a degree of creativity in the shows on Nick that is sorely lacking in the current crop of shows on the Disney Channel.

• IZTUAZU!!!

I posted this pic on another Disney Channel thread but I figured I'd post it here. It includes the logo sorely missed (by me at least) and one of the top quality shows made (at least in my opinion), Walt Disney World: Inside Out with Scott Herriot. I wonder what happened to him.

J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

• MILLIONS OF BURRITOS!

I agree, Disney Channel has disintigrated into nothing. :confused:

I too love the old Wonderful World of Color reruns and Vault Disney. I have a few on tape and have just about run them thin! But as others have mentioned, the current Disney Channel lineup is terrible. Let's see; we've got corny live-action shows (like Phil Of the Future, Lizzie, Raven, etc), and formulatic, ugly cartoon shows (like Brandy/Whiskers, American Dragon, Kim Possible, etc). And to think they're all pretty much the exact same show! Just a different main character and extended premise for each one. The rate at which new shows are introduced is staggering. Disney has introduced 4 new shows within the past 6 months (Buzz on Maggie, Naturally Sadie, American Dragon, & Suite Life) and they're all unbearable.

Oh, BTW, first post. Hi all!
    Last edited by GrizzlyFlats; 01-09-2006 at 02:30 PM.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyFlats
    Let's see; we've got corny live-action shows (like Phil Of the Future, Lizzie, Raven, etc), and formulatic, ugly cartoon shows (like Brandy/Whiskers, American Dragon, Kim Possible, etc). And to think they're all pretty much the exact same show! Just a different main character and premise for each one. The rate at which new shows are introduced is staggering.
    THAT IS THE MOST PERFECT WAY TO SUM IT UP! Way to go! And welcome to MiceChat!

If Disney becomes only focused on nostalgia - we will get left behind again - isn't one of the hallmarks of disney always telling the next story.

The underlying decision was to focus Disney Channel on kids versus families. I do know that one of the reasons was Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were raising kids on their programming and kids in research would say - Disney is for my parents - Nick and Cartoon are for me. If we miss the kids now and make Disney relevant to their lives - how do we create loyalty when they have kids.

I also disagree with the idea that Disney channel only shows bad stuff. I am definitely not a fan of some of the programming (maybe if I drank more) - but did anyone see Tiger Cruise about a navy family during September 11th, or Learning for Life - Kids with AIDs, or Tru Confessions about a sister learning to deal with her disabled brother. Also, they have a block for Preschoolers can Playhouse Disney that has a show called Higglytown Heroes (anyone can be a hero), or JoJo's Circus - plus they are launching a Mickey Mouse preschool show.

They are not showing the classic Disney shows - but isn't there room for a Disney Channel that focuses on kids?

I agree with the comment that there are some strong Vault Disney fans - I think an option is a Video-on-Demand strategy (I have seen some of the new digital cable systems have this)- allow Disney fans the opportunity to expose themselves to the classic stories. (From my understanding, there is little room on cable networks to launch new channels but through digital cable you could launch new VOD packages).

I think that for the Company the change to Disney Channel is working.. ratings for Disney Channel are stronger than they were as the family channel - week in and out it is consistently a top 10 cable channel (over A&E, Hallmark, HGTV, Food Network, MTV).

FYI - One thing I learned recently is when people list the top cable network in magazines like Entertainment Weekly - Disney Channel is never listed. I just found out why, those ratings are for the top basic cable ad-supported channels and the information is provided many times by MTV Networks. Disney Channel is not seen as an ad-supported channel because it does not take regular commercials - so MTV can exclude Disney Channel from the list...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast