Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Trip Report: Radiobarry Gets Wicked! (Photos, Too!)

Alternately titled - The MiceChat Wicked Trip - A Different Kind of Magic!

Thanks to the efforts of one certain MiceChatter, namely Mamabot, 61 of us got really good seats, to see a great show that presents the old Wizard Of Oz story from, shall we say, a slightly different point of view.

My wife Kathleen read the book when it first came out, has been listening to the soundtrack for about, what, at least two years now? And we'd missed out of previous opportunities so when the ticket possibility opened up some months back...well, it was as if she (and therefore I) had been counting the days til...

Since I had worked in both the old KFWB and KNX radio studios that essentially flanked the Pantages, I at least had no trouble finding the place.

One of Hollywood's great and historic theaters.

And just as if I'd wandered into the hub area at noon on Sunday, it didn't take me long to spot a MiceChatter or two...

And that IndianaJenn is certainly one very embraceable fellow Angels fan! I think she's hugging MickeyMaxx here...I think...

If I am wrong...may the Wicked Witch of the West ...well, I am sure that someone will point it out.

Hollywood Boulevard...the street of dreams. That is where I found a young, rising star named Wolfette...

who, despite the encouragement of her lovely mother, could not apparently stand the thought of posing for even one more member of the MC paparazzi...

Undaunted, my lovely bride Kathleen and I strode into the lovely, historic building. I took many, many pictures of the beautiful lobby and interior of the theater (stopping before the show, of course, as directed by the ushers).

I am ever humbled by this thing called photography, and as a result these were the two of many, many that came out reasonably well...

An image above from one of the souvenir stands...and below, of the upper reaches of the Pantages stage...

Hope that gives you at least a taste of what it's like inside the Pantages.

Between about 2pm and 5pm, we were treated to one of the best productions I've ever seen...dancing, lighting, sets, singing, story, all just tremendous! And after all of that...who did I encounter outside the theater but...

The Wizard of Oz...and Tin Man, Scarecrow and the Lion...(This part of my TR is interactive! You decide which one, is which )!

So, what to do for the impending dinner. Well, as you may have noticed, there are times when organizing MiceChatters is a bit like herding cats. We were thinking about Mel's Diner, but the wife said she'd been wanting sushi. so...we went with a group to a place called Kojis...

http://www.kojisjapan.com/index.asp

And got seated at this long, V-shaped counter, with these pots of water in front of us. Things got very steamy for us at times. Especially so, it seems, for our good friends Dusty and Fishy!

And I'm not sure that if our MC "steamed" leader was pleased with my photographic intrusion!

And then I see Mr. Charming Fishbulb, and my wife ...

He is one mean back scratcher as well as a hugger!

This is where the plot thickens...and normally when the plot thickens...it's time to head to the snack bar! INTERMISSION...

• Banned User

Re: Trip Report: Radiobarry Gets Wicked! (Photos, Too!)

Awsome!! Thank you I hope there is more! your wife is so pretty Barry thank you for sharing!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Having Kojis with Fishbulb and Dustysage is truly a delight!!!

Glad you guys had fun Barry. Everytime I hear more about the fun you all had yesterday, the more I wish we would have gone.

• Minion

looks like you all had a great time!! Thanks for sharing Barry!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

The Pantages is gorgeous. Thanks for the pictures. We saw Wicked here in Tempe this year but it was at Grady Gammage not some uber cool historic theater. Glad you had fun.

• Senior Minion

Barry, I am loving these photos!!!! So great!!! I can't wait to see more. I hope you and your wife had a fabulous time!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Meantime, a musical interlude...spotting the star of my all-time very favorite singer on the "Walk Of Fame"...

The one and only Nat "King" Cole.

OFF TOPIC...Why is he honored here for his work in TV? He was best known as a recording artist. For reasons beyond his control, though, his network TV series failed, and while he did various specials and the like...oh well, it's my thread and I can go off on a rant if I want to...

Meantime, back at Koji's...Kathleen and I split an order of "Chen roll". I wish I could remember exactly what's in it. I even looked on their website...but it wasn't on their online menu. I tell you, though, it was great!

Then, it was on to the main course. Largely through Kathleen's urging, I have become a more urbane and cosmopolitan type eater than I was before.

But when Dusty asked me if I'd ever eaten "Shabu" before I think my first response was...I hadn't even been to Sea World in years, and second, has it ever been on the all you can eat special at Sizzler...

So there's this pot of water, in more water, in front of you...and the nice man turns on a heating device for your water, and then brings some sauces and spices Kathleen says she knows they would kill me so don't touch them (the Chinese hot spices anyway)...and then they bring you these trays of food.

I was about to mention to the nice man something like, they forgot to COOK it first, when I remembered that "Shabu" thing...the water gets hot, and you get to cook it yourself!

I took some pictures of going through this process, and trying chop sticks again. I'm keeping them in my private reserve. And as for the chopsticks...I tried, but if I continued on without a fork I think I'd still be eating. Someone else in our group finally chose a fork as well...so I didn't feel so all alone. In any event, the meal was very good. I can drop meat and veggies into a pot of hot water with the best of them.

There are some neat sculptures to see from the fourth floor where we were...

And right in between...a bunch of wall sized soda cans that kind of spoil the effect. That's show biz.

Early evening by now...and while Kat took a look in a few shops...I stopped to enjoy the street scene...with what looked to be someone no older than Wolfette singing Sweet Home Alabama, Hotel California, and Queen's We Will Rock You...

(Whiz-bang photo effect, huh..... )

And the kid is thinking...We'll get you to drop money in the till cause I'm a cute little kid that's singing songs that were a hit before my mother was born cuz that'll get the attention of you aging baby boomers from out of town...worked on me anyway...

So then it was cross the street to to the Disney Soda Fountain, since we missed a showing of Meet the Robinsons in 3-D by at least 15 minutes at the El Capitan...

And they do have a pretty cool little store there...

Just hanging out at the old malt shop with good ice cream...it's called the "Black And White"...

And there's nothin like Saturday night fun in Tinseltown hanging out at the Malt Shop...

Okay. Medications adjusted. Back from the 50's again now...so, it was about 9pm...I said, shank of the evening dear...Meet the Robinsons at 10? How about a night club to dance til the cows come home?

After a stop at the nearby Coffee Bean, we were in our car getting on the northbound 101...Kathleen was closing in on sleep in the passenger seat...I was listening to the Dodgers lose and lapping up a latte...and all was right with the world.

Thanks again, Michele and everyone. We had a blast.

--Barry

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And the kid is thinking...We'll get you to drop money in the till cause I'm a cute little kid that's singing songs that were a hit before my mother was born cuz that'll get the attention of you aging baby boomers from out of town...worked on me anyway...
    Worked on me too, Barry.
    Rick

• Banned User

As always, Barry, your photos are wonderful!!!

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Barry, great shots, and you write one mean trip report, I always enjoy every single word! Wish we could have gone to your restaurant, too. Ours was great, but we are certainly going to add the one you went to our "must do" list.

Lu

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
    Worked on me too, Barry.
    that kid was still out there at 11pm when the 8pm show let out. Ummm, it didn't work on me.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Great report, Barry and love the photos. Looks like you guys had a blast.

• Still wants to be a cat!

What a wonderful TR! Thanks for sharing! Just didn't want to cook my own dinner.....I do that at home! But looks great!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    What a wonderful TR! Thanks for sharing! Just didn't want to cook my own dinner.....I do that at home! But looks great!
    And it's a lot cheaper at home, too...trust me...but Kathleen really enjoyed herself and that was the most important thing to me.

--Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    that kid was still out there at 11pm when the 8pm show let out. Ummm, it didn't work on me.
    I guess I'm just a soft touch for an 11-year old girl singing Lynyrd Skynyrd...guess the Rixter is too, then!

--Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast