View Poll Results: Disney Theme Park Attn. Tops Global Charts. Is This Due To Quality Or Brand Name?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Success of Disney theme parks is mainly due to their quality.

12 33.33%
  • Primary reason for Disney theme park success is the brand name.

7 19.44%
  • Both quality and brand name figure in equally.

13 36.11%
  • More than quality or brand name, there are other reasons at play.

4 11.11%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney Theme Park Attn. Tops Global Charts. Is This Due To Quality Or Brand Name?

According to recently released TEA-ERA Top 25 global attendance figures for 2006, eight Disney theme parks concecutively occupy the highest spots. They are listed as follows:

1) Magic Kingdom @ 16,630,000
    2) Disneyland @ 14,730,000
    3) Tokyo Disneyland @ 12,900,000
    4) Tokyo DisneySea @ 12, 100,000
    5) Disneyland Paris @ 10,600,000
    6) Epcot @ 10.460,000
    7) Disney-MGM Studios @ 9,100,000
    8) Disney's Animal Kingdom @ 8,910,000

At 5,200,000, infant park Hong Kong Disneyland is number 18 on the list. This shows that it is a bright and rising star! Walt Disney Studios, at a meager 2,200,000, once again missed the boat.

Hong Kong Disneyland is the highest attended theme park in the Asian Pacific Rim - What a Kick-off! Leading the list of top European theme parks is Disneyland Paris. Hey, guess what? Walt Disney Studios finally weighed in for a ranking - number 17.

Disney also dominates in the area of water park attendance. The heaviest attended water park in America (as with the world) is Typhoon Lagoon at 2,050,000. It almost beat Walt Disney Studios, Paris. Number 2 is Blizzard Beach at 1,880,000.

Disney dominates the industry more than I had imagined. Although the brand name is important, I feel that the quality of the parks has in the past been of more importance to the company's success, and still should. However, with quality being down, brand name has become of equal consequence.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-04-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Minion

Re: Disney Theme Park Attn. Tops Global Charts. Is This Due To Quality Or Brand Name

I personally think the numbers come from other factors...

Quality is I think is less important than Value at the moment... If it was quality, people would be complaining a lot more than they are currently... The key is if people feel like they are getting their buck's worth... At the moment there is not a lot of compitition with the same quality level... I think it is driving down quality in recent years...

Brand reputation is important, but only so far... The Disney name isn't helping sell their mobile service to families... So, everything starts with product... Iger needs to remember that...
    Check out my other blog:

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Disney Theme Park Attn. Tops Global Charts. Is This Due To Quality Or Brand Name

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I personally think the numbers come from other factors...

Quality is I think is less important than Value at the moment... If it was quality, people would be complaining a lot more than they are currently... The key is if people feel like they are getting their buck's worth... At the moment there is not a lot of compitition with the same quality level... I think it is driving down quality in recent years...

Brand reputation is important, but only so far... The Disney name isn't helping sell their mobile service to families... So, everything starts with product... Iger needs to remember that...
    Good points, cellularhound! In today's economy, Value is becoming of increasing importance. Quality is what makes a triop to a park worthwhile. Just the same, eccessive costs discourage business. Disney needs to learn a better balance. I find your thoughts and perspective invaluable.

• Banned User

The quality of the parks with the exception of the ones in Tokyo have dropped considerably, especially in Florida and Anaheim. Though Disneyland has better management today, it's still not up to par.

The Disney brand name is so powerful that people that people will continue to go despite the fact that quality is way down. They will also go because they are the only places where you can ride Disney park classics. Very few people are going for the new offerings in my opinion.

I think the majority of people go to Disneyland because it is in fact something to do. The brand name and marketing are so effective that if you want to take your family somewhere, well, a Disney theme park is the first thing they think of. I doubt many people go because they are truly into the artistic value of these parks and appreciate the non-corporate and non-time killing aspects of them.

Going to Disneyland is just a thing you do sometimes.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    The Disney brand name is so powerful that people that people will continue to go despite the fact that quality is way down. They will also go because they are the only places where you can ride Disney park classics. Very few people are going for the new offerings in my opinion.
    Again, I ask you what is there compitition? Six Flags? Cedar Fair? They are pale by comparison to the existing level of quality that is in the parks, with the exception of DCA...

If I had a choice between my local Six Flags park (which is less that a mile from my house) and DCA (which is a 1 hour flight away)... I am going to Six Flags (even if DCA was at the same distance)... There is simply more to do there and it is way more family friendly... That is sad.
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Again, I ask you what is there compitition? Six Flags? Cedar Fair? They are pale by comparison to the existing level of quality that is in the parks, with the exception of DCA...

If I had a choice between my local Six Flags park (which is less that a mile from my house) and DCA (which is a 1 hour flight away)... I am going to Six Flags (even if DCA was at the same distance)... There is simply more to do there and it is way more family friendly... That is sad.
    First, the competition is Universal. There is a Universal Studios park near both Disneylands in the U.S., and one a bit further away from Tokyo's Disneyland. They have been doing a lot to play catch up to Disney in terms of quality.

In my opinion, Islands of Adventure was a severe blow to the perception that "Nobody can do what Disney does!" Well, they did it, especially with Spiderman. Now Disney is playing catch up with Universal with Toy Story Mania, which employs a similar concept. However, the legacy of Walt Disney is so powerful that Universal doing what Disney refuses to do these days barely puts a dent in Disney's bottom line.

Second, it's hard to compare Six Flags with Disneyland. They cater to different audiences. Family friendly atmosphere is something you value. I don't. The fact that Six Flags isn't family friendly doesn't bother me. If you value high-speed coasters, then Disneyland isn't going to be your thing. I enjoy both.

This is what I've seen in Disney parks, at least the non-Japanese ones. Quality going way down, profits going way up. It's gotta be the brand and Walt's legacy. It can't be anything else in my mind.

Disney theme parks compete with other international travel destinations, so regional amusement parks, like Six Flags, and parasitic tourist attractions, like Universal Studios and Sea World, are not fair comparisons.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

I think what's going on in Dubai will be really interesting to watch. I'm not talking about the Universal park specifically, but all the resort building generally. How will it affect the international travel market in the years to come? Will WDW in Orlando continue to be an international destination, or will it increasingly become just a domestic one (is it already)?
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

First, the competition is Universal. There is a Universal Studios park near both Disneylands in the U.S., and one a bit further away from Tokyo's Disneyland. They have been doing a lot to play catch up to Disney in terms of quality.
    Actually Universal Studios isn't REALLY compitition... What they are known for and built up is thier studio tour experiance which is a good effort of putting people into the movies... It is unique, It is exciting, but it is NOT what anyone would consider a competative family theme park...

I don't consider NBC/Universal that good at being in the Disney peer group... The strenght of the company is in it's ties to GE, which has been on the Dow much longer than Disney has... Everyone needs light bulbs... Now there is talk of spinning off NBC/Universal, I guess to be a peer to CBS?

Speaking of CBS (or should we call it CBS/Paramount?) - Viacom had a better shot at being a competitor in developing Paramount Parks with it's ties to both Nickelodian and Star Trek franchises... That is untill it spontaniously combusted and sold off everything because the CEO and Largest Stock Holder turned into a major psychopath selling off everything... CBS is in big trouble because of mismanagement - I don't think it can hold its own on its present course... I bet you ANYTHING it will be bought out within the next 10-15 years... And more over I think upper management is counting on it. No one could pay me enough to own that stock...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Disney dominates the industry more than I had imagined. Although the brand name is important, I feel that the quality of the parks is the primary reason for the company's success.

What do you think?
    1. Quality, relative to "competition." Repeatability is included as part of quality. The quality causes people return more frequently than they would to Cedar (I haven't been in 15 years), Uni (haven't been in 20), SF (haven't been in 7) or other (Hershey, about three years ago).
    2. Brand name, since quality, as we know/want it, has decreased.
    3. 6 million or so admissions to DL are heavily discounted.
    4. Its demographic is families. More people in a family than just the teenagers getting dropped off or the "date crowd" that drives themselves to the SF's around the country.
    5. Many of the WDW admissions are multi-day. Nothing wrong with that, since WDW caters to the multi-day vacationer. Divide the total WDW admissions by, say, 5 or so, and you get number unique people attending the parks. Point is, admission number is one metric, but not the only metric.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Iron-Clad Allie

The quality of the parks with the exception of the ones in Tokyo have dropped considerably, especially in Florida and Anaheim. Though Disneyland has better management today, it's still not up to par.

You are correct in your assertion, SJ, that quality at the parks is down (some more-so than others). Overall, new management is doing a good job of playing catch up. Plus, the number and variety of attraction offerings is rising each year. The classic attractions in conjunction with newer ones, I think, motivate me and most everyone else to attend more frequently.

Six Flags parks rock! You get a lot of entertainment value for a relatively low cost factor. Nevertheless, their scale and theming do not come close to that of Disney. Also, like Cedar Fair, consider that the company's parks are located only in places that Disney isn't. They are too timid to step up and "directly" compete.

In my opinion, Islands of Adventure was a severe blow to the perception that "Nobody can do what Disney does!" Well, they did it, especially with Spiderman. Now Disney is playing catch up with Universal with Toy Story Mania, which employs a similar concept. However, the legacy of Walt Disney is so powerful that Universal doing what Disney refuses to do these days barely puts a dent in Disney's bottom line.

Second, it's hard to compare Six Flags with Disneyland. They cater to different audiences. Family friendly atmosphere is something you value. I don't. The fact that Six Flags isn't family friendly doesn't bother me. If you value high-speed coasters, then Disneyland isn't going to be your thing. I enjoy both.

This is what I've seen in Disney parks, at least the non-Japanese ones. Quality going way down, profits going way up. It's gotta be the brand and Walt's legacy. It can't be anything else in my mind.
    Six Flags is an old fashioned "Coney Island-type" amusement park company. they have never truely invested in emersive theming.

Universal and Disney are really the only two theme park companies in the world. Arguably, the Sea World division of Anhueser-Busch can be placed in the same genre. Walt's legacy sells. But, there have been times when the company was in disarray and in danger of folding - 1) following Walt's death 2) prior to Michael Eisner assuming the helm, 3) arguably when Eisner lost his touch, was demoted, and eventualy retired.

"Rule number one in the theme park industry is 'thou Shalt Reinvest!''' Ray Braun, ERA

Eisner either forgot this precept, or else he spread himself too thin - and didn;t prioritize his agenda. Quality, brand name and (these days) value each are of relatively equal importance in driving attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disney theme parks compete with other international travel destinations, so regional amusement parks, like Six Flags, and parasitic tourist attractions, like Universal Studios and Sea World, are not fair comparisons.
    I will agree with you where regional amusement parks are concerned. Don't sell Universal short. They're the only theme park company that is wrestling with the tiger on it's own turf - and, for a company with only five properties (four theme parks and a waterpark), it's doing quite well. I'll re-irritate, the decisions not in on AB's Sea World venues.

• Banned User

Actually Universal Studios isn't REALLY compitition... What they are known for and built up is thier studio tour experiance which is a good effort of putting people into the movies... It is unique, It is exciting, but it is NOT what anyone would consider a competative family theme park...
    Go to Islands of Adventure my friend. They are doing it. They are getting there. Aside from the dressed up B&M coaster and a few other things, a lot of that park is up to par with Disney.

I'm not totally against rides based on movies, but I say let Universal focus on those and Disney cut back a little bit. Let's get back to some of the original concepts that spawned Pirates, Mansion, and Small World. Everest is one of the few recent attractions not based on a damn movie.

People are going to look at Disney parks and their movie rides and think it's the same dumb concept as Universal, and you lose a little bit of what made Disney Disney.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

"Rule number one in the theme park industry is 'thou Shalt Reinvest!''' Ray Braun, ERA

Eisner either forgot this precept, or else he spread himself too thin - and didn;t prioritize his agenda. Quality, brand name and (these days) value each are of relatively equal importance in driving attendance.
    Here's what Walt Disney said:
    Well, I'd say it's been my biggest problem all my life - it's money. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true. From the very start it was a problem of getting the money to open Disneyland. About 17 million dollars it took. We had everything mortgaged, including my family. We were able to get it open and for ten or eleven years now we've been pouring more money back in. In other words, like the old farmer, you've got to pour it back into the ground if you want to get it out. That's been my brother's philosophy and mine too.
    This was the foundation the Walt Disney Company was built on. Crazy, eh?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1 View Post
    I think what's going on in Dubai will be really interesting to watch. I'm not talking about the Universal park specifically, but all the resort building generally. How will it affect the international travel market in the years to come? Will WDW in Orlando continue to be an international destination, or will it increasingly become just a domestic one (is it already)?
    Universal City Dubai is quite intriguing. Wonder if the masterplan for the park's attractions will be more like our stateside parks, or more like that of Universal studios Japan...orrrrr will it be it's own animal?

Anyway, Tokyo Disneyland is the only park that has ever risen above WDW (and, for that matter, Disneyland). I hope that one day Universal will become on par with Dusney, if not rise above. This is not to say that I think it is realistic to expect anyone to be able to knock Disney out of it's "international destination" status. As a matter of fact, the Disneyland Resort's third gate should make it more of a part of the multi-national travel market as well.

I don't consider NBC/Universal that good at being in the Disney peer group... The strenght of the company is in it's ties to GE, which has been on the Dow much longer than Disney has... Everyone needs light bulbs... Now there is talk of spinning off NBC/Universal, I guess to be a peer to CBS?

Speaking of CBS (or should we call it CBS/Paramount?) - Viacom had a better shot at being a competitor in developing Paramount Parks with it's ties to both Nickelodian and Star Trek franchises... That is untill it spontaniously combusted and sold off everything because the CEO and Largest Stock Holder turned into a major psychopath selling off everything... CBS is in big trouble because of mismanagement - I don't think it can hold its own on its present course... I bet you ANYTHING it will be bought out within the next 10-15 years... And more over I think upper management is counting on it. No one could pay me enough to own that stock...
    As it has been said before, Paramount parks attract regional guests by and large. Universal and disney have remained in a battle of one-upmanship for some time now. As crazy as I am about Disney, Universal shows plenty of promise. It might even be said that Disney owes part of it's success to the competitive run for the money that Universal has forged. Although six Flags is number 2 in the theme/amusement park entertainment industry, it's market is almost completely separate of Disney, Universal...and even that of Sea World and Legoland.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    1. Quality, relative to "competition." Repeatability is included as part of quality. The quality causes people return more frequently than they would to Cedar (I haven't been in 15 years), Uni (haven't been in 20), SF (haven't been in 7) or other (Hershey, about three years ago).
    2. Brand name, since quality, as we know/want it, has decreased.
    3. 6 million or so admissions to DL are heavily discounted.
    4. Its demographic is families. More people in a family than just the teenagers getting dropped off or the "date crowd" that drives themselves to the SF's around the country.
    5. Many of the WDW admissions are multi-day. Nothing wrong with that, since WDW caters to the multi-day vacationer. Divide the total WDW admissions by, say, 5 or so, and you get number unique people attending the parks. Point is, admission number is one metric, but not the only metric.
    Very much agree. I altered my opinion due to your well thought out logic here, sediment. Disney quality was once the primary driving force behind attendance and success...and I hope that it will prove to be so again. Quality is down, as you atested...though new management is causing the picture to look peachier. Must say, I'm a lot more impressed with Iger than I thought that I would. For the time being, quality, brand name and value are pretty much on par.

Another excellent point you made is that multi-day visiters do skew the attendance figures as these numbers do not acurately reflect unique visiters. AP'ers throw another wrench into the figures, as many of them run back and forth entering and re-entering the gates a at various different times on any given day. There truely is a need to revamp the 50's model of measuring attendance, and generate a more advanced system.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-03-2007 at 11:23 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Here's what Walt Disney said:
    This was the foundation the Walt Disney Company was built on. Crazy, eh?
    It's a sobering fact, SJ. Thanks for reminding us of one of Walt's most insperational passages of wisdom.

The thing that many people don't realize is that Walt was not merely a creater of escapist illusion...or fantasy as you may. He had his feet squarely on the ground and was very much a realist where financial matters are concerned.

A belief in a good-hearted mission, tenasuty, toil and tears are what the man built his - "our" happy dream on. A visionary dream that keeps inspiring new and marvelous things. You can't be a wimp in this life. You've got to get out there and fight. An investment of time, energy and money are the necessary tools for doing battle...and winning..
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-03-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast