Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night (1987), anyone seen this?

It's a fantastic underrated and very dark animated fantasy epic from Filmation (the guys who did "He-Man", "She-Ra", "Fat Albert", "Bravestarr", and "Starchaser: Legend of Orin") about a creepy carnival that comes to town, Pinocchio just celebrated his first birthday as a human must deliever a jewel box to the mayor. He makes a moron of himself when he meets a raccoon con artist and his monkey assistant as he trades the box for a fake ruby, it makes his dad so mad that he decides to run away and join the carnival. He falls for a lovely girl puppet and the evil puppeteer Puppetino tricks him as he magically changes him back into a puppet, the good fairy does rescue him and does escape from the carnival as he must find the two scumbags that swindled him earlier and goes after the traveling carnival to get the box back only to end up in the hellish nightmarish realm of the empire of the night conducted by the evil Emperor.

Nicely animated and well made flick with the voices of James Earl Jones, Ed Asner, Jonathan Harris, Scott Grimes, Rickie Lee Jones, Don Knotts and Tom Bosley. It's one of my favorite movies ever, i remembered seeing this at the movies when i was 5 after Christmas in 1987 when i lived in St. Louis and it scared the hell out of me especially that absolutely horrifying moment where Pinocchio changes back into a puppet by Puppetino as he tortures him which would still scare kids today. I just recently transfered my tape to DVD-R, it's kind of a cross between the story of "Pinocchio" mixed with "Rock & Rule", "Phantasm", "Tourist Trap" and "The Black Cauldron" and i recommend this one.

• Huh?

Re: Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night (1987), anyone seen this?

Filmation was the original Disney sequel studio for a while. This was one of the movies that came out about that time. I remember Happily Ever After, a sequel to Snow White, being the other big one. Filmation was notorious for trying to cash in on another's popularity. They had their version of Ghostbusters (which I think is why the original became the Real Ghostbusters) and Voltron, too.

I haven't seen the movie since about 1988, so I really don't remember much about it...

And while Filmation was never known for its great animation (spent more on the huge big-name cash than the cheap animation for its movies), I do admit they created a lot of cult and memorable toons.
    -Tim

• Drunk On Disney

Sounds cool. They even did a comic book adaptation:

I just bought Starchaser: Legend of Orin (originally a 3D movie) on DVD, maybe this will find it's way to DVD someday soon.

In the meantime, I am going to keep an eye on eBay.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Well this movie and "Starchaser: Legend of Orin" are very big improvements over their other animation without none of the repeated recycled animation stuff like on their shows but more theatrical quality. Well this isn't really a sequel to the disney movie but more to the fairy tale like Lou Scheimer explained even Rankin-Bass made their own Pinocchio sequel called "Pinocchio's Christmas" and he also wanted to do other sequels to fairy tales like "Red Riding Hood", "Alice in Wonderland", "The Frog Prince", etc but then during production of "Happily Ever After" when completed in 1989 the studio was shut down when L'Ordel (the perfume company) bought it and the other fairy tale sequel ideas were terminated.

Actually Filmation made the original campy "Ghostbusters" show back in 1975 before Bill Murray's movie, so there you have it. I do love the stuff from Filmation since i grew up with their stuff especially He-Man which i'm a big fan of, i thought "Happily Ever After" totally sucked for that had none of the good animation or storytelling of "Starchaser: Legend of Orin" or "Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night" where they succeded where "Happily Ever After" failed even though Snow White was pretty dang hot in that movie.

• Huh?

The original Ghostbusters movie was in 1984. Filmation's Ghostbusters didn't come until 1986.

Wait... found The Ghost Busters of 1975 that you referred to.
    -Tim

• Drunk On Disney

Talking Re: Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night (1987), anyone seen this?

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    The original Ghostbusters movie was in 1984. Filmation's Ghostbusters didn't come until 1986.

Wait... found The Ghost Busters of 1975 that you referred to.
    I saw the trailer for The Ghost Busters on the Ark II DVD set (another awesome old show.)

The Ghost Busters looked HYSTERICAL with two guys and an Ape (a man in a suit) bustin' ghosts!

By the way, since Pinocchio and The Emperor of the Night is not on DVD, it inspired me to started this thread all about movies not on DVD. I hope you guys check it out.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com