View Poll Results: What did you think of Spider-Man 3?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • * - Couldn't have been worse!

9 9.00%

24 24.00%

32 32.00%

24 24.00%
  • ***** - Couldn't have been better!

11 11.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Spider-Man 3 Reviews and (non-discriminating) Poll... You Choose!

I gave it 4 stars. It was pretty good, but why did they have to kill off James Franco???
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I forgot to vote earlier, so I'll give it 4 stars too.

• R.I.P. Mandy

Saw it last night. Started ranting and raving about Venom before I even left the theater.

Spoiler
    It's not "I"! It's "we"!

Brock had waaaaaaayyyy too much control over the symbiote.

It didn't even seem like Venom, it was just like Brock in a suit.

"My Spider-sense is tingling, if you know what I mean"? Puh-leaze!

And he got all of, what, 10 minutes of screentime? He never stood a chance.

Visually, I quite like what they did with Venom. Though the part where Brock's face is first engulfed by the symbiote had to be one of the worst bits of CGI I've ever seen.

Raimi, you are on my list.
    Introducing- The Geek Tutorial! The new informational webseries on computers and the geekiness of life.

Screw eHarmony- I met my soulmate at Star Trek: The Experience.

Random funny exchange from Star Trek: The Experience:

BF: "If you take any photos on the attraction, we will shoot you with a phaser."
    Guest: "On stun?"
    BF: "Maybe....."
    Me: "I wouldn't trust him."

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Just gonna say, I was a big fan of the Topher fangs!!

My general perception of the film: Meh *shrug* It was all right. Pirates will be at least 3X better

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah Venom needs his own Movie, they should have waited to add Venom until the next film and had the Harry vs Spiderman fight in this one.
    I mean did it even feel like the Symbiote was alive? They should have had a scene were the Symbiote and Eddie Talk about why they hate Spiderman, also Eddie Brock is not Evil he did not like being evil in the comic's he never were had said I like being bad he just wanted Revenge on peter and thats all. Also Sandman is not evil why would he help Venom kidnap Mary Jane just to get revenge, he not a monster.

• We're number one!

I felt the theater leaving a little empty myself. The scenes with Peter and the symbiote could of been great and dark (which some were) but most of them came off goofy. Not only that but we get two more Raindrops keep falling on my head type sequences from the second movie. I laughed out loud when Peter messed up his hair and put some of it over the side of his face. He seemed like he was two seconds away from putting on some eyeliner and listening to My Chemical Romance. Also there definitely was not enough Venom action!

I did like some of the fight scenes though and Bruce Campbell's (the French Maitre'De) part in the movie was my favorite. I also loved J.J. Jameson's parts in the film.

I found the movie to be even more disappointing than the first two. I realize that many people found the first and most everyone found the second to be crowning moments in the history of superhero cinema, but the previous two installments fell flat to me due mostly to the poor acting by Tobey Maguire and to a lesser extent, Kirsten Dunst.

I know next to nothing about comic books (outside of a quick perusal of Wikipedia), so I care little about what remained faithful to what. I understand there's some controversy over how Venom was presented
    Spoiler
    (specifically in regards to being killed off in the end),
    but I found that to be the most fascinating arc of the movie. Apparently according to interviews, Venom was foistered on the film by the studio, but I found this to be the only interesting villain of the three in the film.

My three biggest problems with the film are:

1) The action sequences felt forced. The only action sequence with an interesting dynamic was the crane sequence. Otherwise, every other sequence felt very derivative of one another, each just occurring in a different locale.

2)
    Spoiler
    Parker's B-story arc with MJ was horrible. Normally a couple who break up in the beginning of the movie fix whatever problem was in their relationship before they get back together. What exactly that problem is was also dropped around the time the two broke up. Was Peter too self centered? Was MJ feeling inadequate next to Parker? By the end of the film, who remembers? The characters certainly don't

3) My biggest problem with the film:
    Spoiler
    Venom's wasted potential. The film forgets about this villain until almost half an hour in. Finally, when it comes out, all we get of it is painfully unfunny "comedic" scenes of Tobey Maguire pretending to be a Mack the Knife type character. My friends made fun of his emo hair in the previews, and I remember rationalizing that there must have been a reason for his hair to be like that. No. Wrong. I owe my friends ten bucks. And the eyeliner? Really?

Not only that, but after this "villain" has caused Peter to act like an idiot, we are then supposed to believe that this black goo is a real villain when it falls onto a (horribly miscast) Topher Grace. Nice narrative consistency.

So not only do we have way too many villains for the movie, but they also make us suffer through listening to Dunst "singing" not once, but twice over the course of the movie.
    Spoiler
    It would have been three times if not for Parker's Mask-esque dance/conniption fit with Gwen Stacy. Speaking of that, when an entire movie is designed to be taken (for the most part) seriously, how did anyone think this was a good idea?. How is narratively consistent that all of a sudden, because of some alien goo, Parker can dance AND play piano. It defined camp in the bad way.

Several high points. James Franco remains the best actor to have touched that franchise. Thomas Hayden Church was fairly effective as Sandman, and Bryce Dallas Howard was surprisingly good (especially based on how much I hate M. Night Shyamalan (and all of his actors, by proxy)).

I give it **/*****

I was hoping that this would hold me over until the next Christopher Nolan Batman film. Now I have to rest my hopes on Fantastic Four....Maybe I'll just go pop in my DVD of Batman Begins instead.
    Last edited by Mr Ness; 05-06-2007 at 12:30 AM.

• Sock Puppet

There were so many cheesy things in Spiderman 3 that it left me dissapointed.

For example:

Spoiler

1) Who ever mentioned the news anchor at the end, who I guess works for BBC? was bad, as it just made the scene even more unrealistic and tacky.
    2) The butler revealing to Harry that his father killed himself, AT THE END OF THE SERIES (presumably). Oops, I guess he didn't want to tell him at the beginning...
    3) What the hell was the sand pit of death experiment? No problem, lets just add this random experiment in the middle of no where, with no explanation, and have him fall in, because all fugitives run into experiments like that. What a freaking coincidence.
    4) Sandman's explanation of killing Ben was utter bull...come on, because he was a nice guy he didn't shoot but because of an "accident?" Utter lame, bull crap, tacked on to this pile of cheese.
    5) The dance scenes, the hair, the clothing, the acting...what were they thinking??? There was one part where he opened his jacket and a reverse shot showed Gwens hair blow back - come on, how over cliched and cheesy is that? The fact that Peter went to the same bar where MJ worked at made it even more lame..."oh my god, were at the same place? What a freaking coincidence! Here we go with my awesome dance scene...oh wait..."
    6) When was the last time you saw a crane swing out of control over the New York skyline and destroy everything in every direction? Scenes in this film, like the crane, were so unrealistic, that it ruined the whole mood of some scenes. I know it is unusual to see a flying car fly through the window of a coffee restaurant in Spidey 2, for example, but the other 2 films seemed like they tried to show that "it is possible that it could happen." It made it seem like it could happen...but Spidy 3 didn't do that...AT ALL. It was full of stupid stuff that made it seem ridiculous.

It didn't seem like added anything to make this film better than 1 or 2. Nothing more spectacular camera wise or story wise. It seemed to me that Raimi wanted to get in Venom and Sandman just to get them all in, as if it were his last film, just to say that he put them in there. Bad choice. All aside, the movie was just ok, nothing to write home about.

• Banned User

Well the film could have down with Venom, as Sam Raimi wanted. But no, fans had to demand for him, so they got what they deserved.

Film was great. I believe so many people were disappointed with the hype since the second - too much hype = disappointment.

• Minion

I thought it was lame. I knew it was bad when I started laughing at the parts that weren't supposed to be funny. Oh well, I got to see the Pirates trailer before the movie.

I went to see the movie friday night. It was ok but I missed a lot due to a drunk kid behind us who refused to shut his mouth but what i did see was ok but not up to the quality of the 1st 2. The Pirates trailer sold me as I am definately going to see that.
    Check out my MYSPACE page, feel free to add me to yours if you like.
    http://www.myspace.com/hank74

A family oriented freeform experience. From Disney Music to disco, musicals to accapella, gospel to garage and just about anything you can think of in between, even old-time radio. Our main objective is to provide a family environment that will appeal to anyone from 8 to 80, and be just as appropriate.

Radio Odyssey Broadcasts Using The AAC+ Format Giving You CD Quality Audio

To listen in winamp, foobar, VLC Player (Mac), and etc. go here:
    http://70.84.35.130:8032/listen.pls

For Windows Media Player:
    icyx://70.84.35.130:8032
    Note: Listening In Windows Media PlayerRequires The Orban Plugin Located At
    http://www.orban.com/plugin/

• in technicolor!

I didn't care for the movie. It had some good parts, but I was getting very bored and antsy during it all. Only one of my friends really enjoyed it.

And along with everyone else, the Pirates trailer was the highlight of my evening!

Next up, Shrek. We'll see how that goes.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The entire film really felt forced and mediocre to me. Sure, it was entertaining, but seriously, the first two films are incredibly better than this one.

All in all, its like the X-Men trilogy - First movie establishes characters and gives us a good story and is pretty flippin' good. Second movie really picks up steam and is even better that the first. Third movie seems forced, too busy for its own good, and kills too many characters for no good reason.

Lame.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I wanted to see Venom, but I just don't think he was used right. I also think he should have had more space in the story so we could understand a bit more why he is angry at Peter. The story between Spidey and Venom should have been the main focus of this film in my opinion.

• Disney: A Way of Life

Saw it last night and I am very sorry to say that I was really disappointed with the film. The downfall of the film was when Parker looked in the mirror and fixed his hair into emo hair. After this, the movie fell quickly, but the end almost tried to save the movie. It was a decent ending, but couldn't save an already busted movie. To think, the first two films were soo great, and they had such a great opportunity to hit the box office hard and fast with this last movie. But they lost, in my opinion, A LOT of money on this one.
    The high point of the movie were the previews in my point: Pirates III, Shrek III, and Harry Potter V. I can't be more excited with this line-up for the summer
    "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast