Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Spider-Man 3 beats POTC first day record

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Folly View Post
    For real. Couldn't get through the first POTC without falling asleep, and the second hardly kept my attention either. I'm planning on seeing Spider-man 3 again, and if I have the time i'll go see POTC 3. It's a DVD rental until then.

Right, I mean I don't have anything against Pirates, but didn't a lot of people say the second one wasn't that great and the ending was horrible?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Right, I mean I don't have anything against Pirates, but didn't a lot of people say the second one wasn't that great and the ending was horrible?
    Because none of the plot points were resolved...and they weren't meant to be. It's the rising action to part of the climax, not the resolution of the story. That's why people were throwing a fit. It was also a lot darker than the first one. Once the thrid comes out, I think people will appreciate Dead Man's Chest more.

Pirates is going to beat out everything else.

I enjoyed Spiderman 3...the problem was that they kept introducing too many plot points, and you were already 2 hours into the movie...you just wanted to scream, "Get on with it already!" And then everything was resolved too quickly.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    EVERYONE in the audience cheered at the end of PotCMC,
    especially when Barbossa appeared. And it was a cliff-hanger
    ending. Nothing wrong with that.

Just saw Spider-man 3, and I enjoyed the movie. Shrek 3
    is coming out soon, and then Pirates. Wonder how many
    screens will be showing PotD:AWE, with 2 biggies already in
    theaters.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    EVERYONE in the audience cheered at the end of PotCMC,
    especially when Barbossa appeared. And it was a cliff-hanger
    ending. Nothing wrong with that.

Just saw Spider-man 3, and I enjoyed the movie. Shrek 3
    is coming out soon, and then Pirates. Wonder how many
    screens will be showing PotD:AWE, with 2 biggies already in
    theaters.
    Most of the big branded theaters will most likely show midnight showings, and have at least a few screens of POTC 3. Usually going by how a currently released film does, how much money it is bringing in, and what the average amount of people still going to see it will determine how many screens they drop it down to to make room for another big release. For example, for the midnight showing at the local krikorian metroplex here in Buena Park, which is a large popular theater and always has the big releases and has shown many midnight showings, it had spiderman 3 showing on EIGHT screens to make room for the rush. They may have just had to put it to that many because of the amount of tickets they sold. THAT is why Spidey 3 broke the 55.8 million record and set 59 because of the large amount midnight screenings. EIGHT FULL SCREENS at a local theater should be proof of that. Granted that amount went down the following morning, but I'm pretty sure that with the amount of disappointment that this movie is getting, the two thumbs down, and the lack of amount of repeats from fans that this movie will get, the number of screens that this movie will be on when POTC 3 comes out will be greatly reduced. Spidey 3 will be down to 1 screen in all the major theaters nationwide when POTC 3 comes out, and I have a strong feeling that POTC 3 will NOT disappoint.

• Circle of Ancients

I have no doubt that POTC 3 will do some record breaking but let's not forget the other big movie summer busters that may do some damage also.

Fantastic 4 The Silver Surfer. ShreK 3, Transformers, and Harry Potter The Order of the Phoenix.

• Banned User

Fantasic Four: Fall of the series...erm, Fantasic Four: We don't have Galactus...erm. Rise of the Silver Surfer will not do nearly as good as Spidey 3, POTC 3, Shrek 3, and heck, probably won't do as good as Rush Hour 3

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost View Post
    According to this story http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2307&p=.htm. Spider-Man 3 opened in 119 more theaters than Pirates 2 for a total of 4,252 theaters vs 4,133 for POTC. Also, it says Spider-Man was on over 10,000 screens vs POTCs 8,500. Break it down per screen and Spidey did $5900 vs POTC $6500+
    just what i thought. they opened at more screens. unfortunately how many screens isnt taken into account when figuring opening weekend returns they just look at the grosses.
    i feel sorry for shrek3 because its only open for one week before pirate's invades. not much time for dreamworks to rake in the big bucks.

• I was deleted.

Wow. Which third movie would you like to see this year? Seriously. Is too much of a successful film a bad thing? I guess not since after it comes two more.

• Minion

The reviews are so bad for this movie that I don't see it beating POTC: AWE in the long run. I saw POTC: II 3 times in the theater. I was so disappointed with Spider-Man 3 that I'll only see it again when it comes on DVD so I can watch it with commentary to hear what the heck they were thinking while filming it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Wow. Which third movie would you like to see this year? Seriously. Is too much of a successful film a bad thing? I guess not since after it comes two more.
    Which reminds me, I forgot to do my summer movie poll thread this year.

Oh well.

• I have returned !!

this too shall pass. although... SPidey had a helluva push in the European markets and did premieres abroad too. I havent seen hide nor hair of any POTC advertising outside of an ABC network. I know there is time yet.. but no one seems to be spending any advertising money this time round on Pirates. Will be interesting to see if the Pirate squishes the spider and the Ogre this year.

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

• ...TWO BITS!

I'm surprised there are so many people that disliked Spidey 3. ALso, they had to add 3am screenings for people who couldn't get into the midnight screenings. I understand a couple flaws in the film, but I was quite satisfied. Then again I'm not a comic book reader and only know the characters from the early '90s animated series.

But when someone says that X-Men 3 was better than SPidey 3, but just blows my mind even more.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I'm surprised there are so many people that disliked Spidey 3. ALso, they had to add 3am screenings for people who couldn't get into the midnight screenings. I understand a couple flaws in the film, but I was quite satisfied. Then again I'm not a comic book reader and only know the characters from the early '90s animated series.

But when someone says that X-Men 3 was better than SPidey 3, but just blows my mind even more.
    There were WAY more than a few flaws. Anyone who's a fan of the Spidey background stories can attest to that...

• Minion

I think the majority of us said here that Pirates 3 would beat out Spidey 3. Sadly, Pirates 3 only scored 43 million. It will still be the #1 movie of the weekend, no doubt.

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with SoulQ ... Spidey 3 was the suck.

And you can't really say that Spidey beat Pirates 3 because if you include the Thursday night shows along with Friday, Spidey only beat pirates by about $3 million.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast