Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Thumbs up SNL Fans! Don't forget tonight's special!

Tonight is the 2 hour special about Saturday Night Live in the 90's. It has just started for the east coast and central time people!

So far it looks really good! I just wanted to give everyone the heads up!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Rock Star Minion

Re: SNL Fans! Don't forget tonight's special!

An important reminder to everyone that the current SNL really sucks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    An important reminder to everyone that the current SNL really sucks.
    Actually, I got the opposite message from it.

It goes in cycles. Every SNL generation thinks that theirs was better than the current. They said right in the special that they were getting horrible reviews and that people believed it sucked- and now look at what it's like looking back at it.

I think the thing about SNL is that there are always- even back then- really only a few great skits and the rest are all mediocre or crappy. But they play back those few greats skits in later years and we think- "Oh it used to be so much better."

I think this year SNL has really been pretty good. And I wouldn't be surprised if this generation of SNL will be looked back on much fonder than it is now in 15 years just like previous ones.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

^ I agree with TinkPink.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Ugh, I wanted to catch this too. How was it? Any good?

I heard my favorite catch phrase..

"I live...in a van...down by the RIver..."

• Minion

I was a little shocked hearing one of the cast members suggest that their cast had the best talent of ANY season of SNL. I agree that it seems to go in cycles, and I'm not sure where the current show fits into one of those cycles, but the origional SNL had TOP talent and the advantage that they were breaking new ground. It's not that we had never had shows with sketches, but this was the first time that they younger generation had a voice in this way. I thought the special was fun last night.

• Minion

I have not watched a lot of the early stuff on SNL.
    I loved the 90s (long live opera man).
    I have not enjoyed it since then.
    I wish it would "pick up a bit" very soon.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I thought it was great. I really loved it. It was fun, nostalgic and it was a great reminder of a lot of characters and skits that I had forgotten about. And while I miss the old cast, it actually really made me more appreciative of today's SNL.

I am so geeked out for this weekend- Molly Shannon is the host!!

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post

It goes in cycles. Every SNL generation thinks that theirs was better than the current. They said right in the special that they were getting horrible reviews and that people believed it sucked- and now look at what it's like looking back at it.

I think the thing about SNL is that there are always- even back then- really only a few great skits and the rest are all mediocre or crappy. But they play back those few greats skits in later years and we think- "Oh it used to be so much better."

I think this year SNL has really been pretty good. And I wouldn't be surprised if this generation of SNL will be looked back on much fonder than it is now in 15 years just like previous ones.
    What I always think is funny, as someone who has watched it since I was five (thank you Dad!), is that no matter who is on it, the critics always say the show currently sucks, and it was never as good as the years so-and-so were on it....and that happens over and over, as each SNL crew ebbs and flows.

There are some really talented writers and performers on the show right now, and they take into account the YouTube generation. Everything's instantly quotable and you can watch it over and over and the skits hold up.

I didn't watch the show last night....we have all the Best Of SNL DVD sets, and I'm a bit sick of the 90's SNL at this point. Between my 12 year old and my husband, I have most of them memorized. Bah.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    What I always think is funny, as someone who has watched it since I was five (thank you Dad!), is that no matter who is on it, the critics always say the show currently sucks, and it was never as good as the years so-and-so were on it....and that happens over and over, as each SNL crew ebbs and flows.

There are some really talented writers and performers on the show right now, and they take into account the YouTube generation. Everything's instantly quotable and you can watch it over and over and the skits hold up.
    Exactly!

I admit that the last two or so years I was disappointed with the show. But I think this year it really picked up and there has been some great stuff.

**** in a box anyone?

• Circle of Ancients

From what I saw of it, it was pretty good.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post

I'd feel real bad for those viewers in 15 years, if they look back fondly on this generation's SNL.
    FWIW, the 90's sucked big time, too, after Miller and Hartman left.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Man O Lantern

Not really. That's your opinion....but eh. Many disagree.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Yep, I loved the 90's. That special last night reminded me how much I loved it.

• Minion

I missed it, thats what I get for trying to get some sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast