• Sock Puppet

CAL SC Rules against theme parks/common carriers

SO will Indy now be a C Ticket dark ride, no spinning on ROGER? This is INFLAMATORY.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&feed=rss.news

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    Have you read the actual Supreme Court ruling (the link is available in the news section here at MiceChat). ?

Did you know that in the past, two rides at Disneyland have been ruled "common carriers" by the California courts, including Pirates of the Carribean in 1995?

A 1934 case against Venice Roller Coaster called a Roller Coaster a common carrier..

A 1962 ruling (Kohl v. Disneyland, Inc.) in 1962 ruled the Stagecoach ride a common carrier..

And then the Pirates of the Carribean was also ruled a common carrier in 1995.

You take an escalator or elevator from the parking structre to the tram loading area, they are common carriers... Then take a tram, which is also a common carrier....

Airplane and helicopters rides that go nowhere (sightseeing tours) are common carriers.

I also don't see any major changes happening, all this really says that the park guests have a right to presume a safe ride, and that parks owe guests a "duty of utmost care and diligence". And that folks can sue the parks if they feel that the park did not take that care...

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...9&pageNumber=1

But the court responded in its 4-to-3 decision: "Certainly there is no justification for imposing a lesser duty of care on the operators of roller coasters simply because the primary purpose of the transportation provided is entertainment ... The rider expects to be surprised and perhaps even frightened but not hurt."
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• C4C6C

And now that they are common carriers, we will have to let groups in such as "the bus riders union". Yes, one actually exists in L.A. to make sure buses are available and not overcrowded for all the illegal, I mean low income people of LA.

DL will have to let these union inspectors in to make sure the lines are not to long at any attraction, that FP's are distributed fairly among those who are supposed to be here and can afford to come to DL, and they will make sure no ride is overcrowded. If a line is running too slowly, they will sue and demand that more ride vehicles be added to the ride. If DL tries to resist, they will continue to sue. Eventually, like the MTA, they will give in.

Next, they will follow with a consent decree that will tell DL how to run their business so as not to be unfair to those who have no money.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert
    And now that they are common carriers, we will have to let groups in such as "the bus riders union". Yes, one actually exists in L.A. to make sure buses are available and not overcrowded for all the illegal, I mean low income people of LA.

DL will have to let these union inspectors in to make sure the lines are not to long at any attraction, that FP's are distributed fairly among those who are supposed to be here and can afford to come to DL, and they will make sure no ride is overcrowded. If a line is running too slowly, they will sue and demand that more ride vehicles be added to the ride. If DL tries to resist, they will continue to sue. Eventually, like the MTA, they will give in.

Next, they will follow with a consent decree that will tell DL how to run their business so as not to be unfair to those who have no money.
    Not necisarly... It just means that they as a theme park ride opperator are subject to Tort Liablity, which they already are anyway...

It also means that if a 4 year old dies on any of the rides in California, and they discover the ride is opperating normally... The public who ride can file a classaction tort lawsuit seeking remedy for personal endangerment...

This is why everyone is going nuts over this case at the moment...
    Check out my other blog:

• C4C6C

I forgot to add, I was being
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert
    And now that they are common carriers, we will have to let groups in such as "the bus riders union".
    I hate the BRU, they made my job difficult. I knew you were being sarcastic but your post got me thinking...the end of long lines...maybe not a bad idea ....LOL

Ok, just kidding.